Hey guys I'm wondering if someone could help shed some light on an idea I've had. I'll start off with why I'm considering doing this. Our broadband is provided by Virgin Media and to put it frankly, it's terrible. It works for when I'm surfing the web, but when it comes to trying to use MSN messenger of Facebook chat, anything that involves IM'ing really, it cocks up. It seems like it disconnects and reconnects all the time, so I don't receive messages in real time, and sometimes people do not get mine. This is a real problem because my gf has just moved to Brighton for university, around 250 miles away from here, and it gets really annoying when we try to talk on MSN and it doesn't work.

Now here is my idea. I've been looking up the cost of getting a mobile broadband contract with someone like 3, but the price for a package which would suit my internet surfing needs comes to about £25 a month. Say I went for a contract which is cheaper, around £15 per month which provides:

3GB enables you to:
- Send 3000 Outlook/HTML Emails
- Surf the web for 30 hours
- Download 15 four minute videos
- Download 96 four minute music tracks

Would it work if I were to only use this when I am using MSN messenger or something like that? So basically, whenever I'm on the net just using websites, I'd connect with our household broadband, and then when it came to wanting to use MSN I'd plug in the 3mobile dongle and then use that while I'm on MSN.

Sorry for the wall of text, just hoping you guys who are more computer literate could help me.

Learn2Firewall.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Quote by saphrax
The issue aint with your broadband provider I tell you this.

Facebook chat is a rubbish application, and MSN always has been intermittant.

I'd bet you can watch streamed video no problems can't you?

No I can't, that's the thing. Anything that involves streaming like BBC iPlayer or Youtube is also being problematic. It is the broadband provider, because other people in our area on Virgin broadband have said that their internet is bad too.

Thanks for looking in though.
Quote by saphrax
The issue aint with your broadband provider I tell you this.

Facebook chat is a rubbish application, and MSN always has been intermittant.

I'd bet you can watch streamed video no problems can't you?

Msn isn't problematic at all.

I'd say check your pc too. I had to change my network card a long time before because it had some problems. Also, it can be a virus or trojan.

edit: But yea I also heard virgin mobile sucks.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
No I can't, that's the thing. Anything that involves streaming like BBC iPlayer or Youtube is also being problematic. It is the broadband provider, because other people in our area on Virgin broadband have said that their internet is bad too.

Thanks for looking in though.

So why don't you just change your home BB provider instead?

Those USB dongles are pretty nifty. We've got one at work - speed is pretty good and connection seems stable enough, on Vodafone.

Quote by kevC4
Msn isn't problematic at all.

Software isn't, service is.
Quote by saphrax
So why don't you just change your home BB provider instead?

Those USB dongles are pretty nifty. We've got one at work - speed is pretty good and connection seems stable enough, on Vodafone.

Software isn't, service is.

We're going to change it, but if we cancel the service now, we still have to pay the remainder of the contract up, and then have BT line fitted for Sky broadband. So do you think my idea would work, as the 3mobile would be individual to me, and I think 3gb should be fine for a month if all I'm using it for is MSN.

Thanks for the advice pal.
Complain, I'm with virgin and have had no problems with connection. Using both the modem and router they supplied.
Complained many times, and they just fob us off with the same excuse that it's working at their end so we don't have any problems. Which for a part is true, as the internet is connected, but it's just the fact that it rapidly disconnects then re-connects that causes the problems. The lights on the modem are apparently supposed to blink constantly, but they don't, and on our wireless router the internet and wireless lights are always flashing, when they are supposed to be solid, that's how I know it's the internet signal that is causing the problems.

Quote by saphrax
Yeah, it'd work fine. And 3GB is plenty... unless you start using webcams....

Haha thanks alot for the help man, FYI I don't have a cam! lol
Last edited by TobyFellrunners at Oct 8, 2008,