about a week ago, my computer became infected with what I thought was ad-ware
I used AVG to delete a lot of potential threats on my computer, but false "warning" messages continued. I tried a System Restore on Monday, and everything ran fine for the rest of the day, no problems
BUT! Yesterday, a window popped up claiming to have found a virus. I thought it best not to accept anything, considering that it was planning on charging me $40 to do anything lol
I looked at the name and decided to google it today, only to find that "System Anti-virus 2008" is a virus in itself
the only method of deleting it that I found on google told me to go through task manager
but my TM is disabled (probly because of the virus) and most of my "start" menu is unavailable
any help is appreciated

btw, I know how to start up in safe mode, but I still dont know how to get rid of this.
McAffee isn't showing it in it's scan
See if you can uninstall it by going to control panel > add/remove programs > find it in the list and uninstall.

If that doesn't work backup all your data you want to keep then do a clean install of your operating system assuming you still have the discs.
My mate's TM also didn't work. You can unlock it in the registry, google it - it's easy.

Afterwards, shut down the virus (look up the process-name in google, too) in the TM.

EDIT:

Go to Start > Run
Type regedit
The Registry-Editor opens

There is a registry hack to enable or disable Windows NT TaskManager. The
same registry hack applies to Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio...
Name: DisableTaskMgr
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=LOCKED TaskManager
Value: 0=UNLOCKED TaskManager

Change the Value from 1 to 0
My Guitars:
Gibson LP Standard Iced-Tea
Fender Stratocaster
Cort Earth 100

Lefty!
Last edited by lucky_kretz at Oct 8, 2008,
Umm i've gotten this before when my friend installed it by mistake. It's a right pain in the ass !!! Almost impossible to clean up. Best bet is a reformat...
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by lucky_kretz
My mate's TM also didn't work. You can unlock it in the registry, google it - it's easy.

Afterwards, shut down the virus (look up the process-name in google, too) in the TM.

You need to be careful messing with the registry you can really f* up a computer if you dont know what your doing.

Best thing to do is backup your files you want to keep and do a clean install of your operating system.
Quote by SG thrasher
Get a program called "Malawarebytes' Anti-Malaware" and that'll find it. The same thing happened to me last week. Damn pronz virus.

+1

I was just about to mention this program.