Postman Pat in hi-tech spat as he relocates from Lake District post office

Generations of children have enjoyed stories of Postman Pat trundling around the Lake District in his van with his cat, Jess.

Now there is sadness in the Cumbrian countryside as the creators of Britain's favourite postman change the storyline: Pat has been promoted to a high-tech sorting office.

The move to update Postman Pat for the 21st century, equipping him with a personal digital aide, helicopter and even a stunt bike is seen as a step too far — especially when dozens of village post offices are facing closure. In the latest BBC television series Postman Pat Special Delivery Service, the postman begins a daily commute from Greendale to the ultra-modern office in Pencaster.

The character was created by John Cunliffe when he lived in Kendal. The setting was based on the houses, lanes and fell walks around Longsleddle valley and the village of Grasmere. The post office on which it is based was a depiction of Greenside post office in Kendal, which closed years ago.

Mr Cunliffe could not comment last night on Postman Pat's makeover because the character is now owned by Entertainment Rights.

Hilary Knaggs, who had to close her post office at Longpool, near Kendal, earlier this year was angry about the programme's new storyline. She said: “It is a bit of a slap in the face when rural post offices are going through so much turmoil.”

Dianne Bath, postmistress at Hawkeshead and Broughton, said: “He seems to have deserted the village post office.” The Communication Workers' Union was surprised that Pat's move was being seen as a promotion. A spokeswoman said his average salary would still be £17,000: “Postal workers are living the nightmare of modernisation: job losses, closures and pensions at risk.”

Peter Luff, chairman of the Commons Business and Enterprise Select Committee, which has campaigned to save post offices, said: “The Government and the BBC appear to be working together to kill off the network.” A BBC statement said: “Postman Pat is not real, so to suggest he's making a statement about real life doesn't make sense.”

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article4894575.ece
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
BLASPHEMY!

A BBC statement said: “Postman Pat is not real, so to suggest he's making a statement about real life doesn't make sense.”

It's the Chewbacca defense all over again...
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Oct 8, 2008,
Apparently Jack White is writing the new theme tune.

Blasphemous as it is to change the classic theme, this is perhaps one redeeming feature of the makeover.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-

That would be hilarious
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Postman Pat was the only good thing about England. Oh well...
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by -February-Star-

Blasphemous as it is to change the classic theme, this is perhaps one redeeming feature of the makeover.

That's just salt in the wound.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand