So I was doing my daily Craigslist rounds and found this and thought it worth passing on

http://www.strymon.net/products.html

A Line 6 Spider Valve mod that adds a 12AX7 circuit into the preamp. I wish I could find more info, but this is all I have ATM.

Discuss
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I thought it had a 12AX7 in the preamp too? Well might be worth a look!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
That's like putting a Mustang engine in a Pinto, but hey man, whatever floats your boat.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
^I wouldn't say that. I like the Spider Valve, does require some tweaking, but you can get some nice tones out of it!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
That makes some sense, since booster and stuff become actually usable, since you don't get SS-digital-preamp clipping.
...the Spider Valve has 2 12AX7's and 2 6L6's... soooo....the point of this is...

add a 3rd preamp tube?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I thought it already had a 12AX7 too. Oh well, 2 are better than one. I just wonder if it sounds decent/makes a difference

Wait a tick, do the combos have the 12AX7 preamp. I just read that this mod is for the Combo versions. They have a mod for the head soon
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
The signal goes into the modeling chip and only then goes into the tube preamp.
This mod adds a tube before the chip.
Quote by Goldenglove
That makes some sense, since booster and stuff become actually usable, since you don't get SS-digital-preamp clipping.

Makes sense.... I used to run my Mesa V-Twin with a Laney HCM-30R on its clean channel. Sounded great as the clean sound of the Laney was really transparent and just amplifying the Mesa's signal.

Yeah, not tubes, but very good in a budget and the Mesa is a keeper for when you want to go up the food chain of amps.
One of the 12AX7 in the Spider Valve is the Phase Inverter, which is part of the Power Amp, I believe the other is just there for "warmth" like the Vox AD series.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thats right! It would need a PI wouldn't it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I would love to see how the hell you could do that on a digital preamp.. .someone here should take the plunge. I would think patching it in though would be rather hard.
It looked pretty simple just by looking at the mod itself. There arent that many things to connect
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by CJRocker
I would love to see how the hell you could do that on a digital preamp.. .someone here should take the plunge. I would think patching it in though would be rather hard.

I'd think you'd be better off with just putting a tube preamp in front of your power amp section (whether it'd be at your guitar's input or maybe in your FX loop).

As I've mentioned before, a tube preamp is a huge improvement (as long as the tubes are not starving) because most of your sound comes from the preamp. I'm not saying power stage doesn't matter, please don't get me wrong... but a tube preamp is an improvement over anything digital or SS.

Problem... most tube preamps are expensive. I'd like a stompbox like tube preamp with clean and distorted sounds. Maybe I should get one of those V-Twin's again. Most tube preamps on the market are for distortion only.
The tubes on the Spider Valve are post eq. The first 12ax7 is the the gain stage of the power amp, the other is the phase inverter for the power tubes. The strymon mod adds a 12ax7 before the eq preamp section. It also draws its power from the other tubes so the sag is supposed to be great with this mod. I am seriously thinking of checking it out as I really dig my SV and would love a little more 'feel' from the amp.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Nice info, but old thread...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Nice info, but old thread...

Yeah, I was half asleep when I posted it. But now it lives again!
Line 6 M13
Only the head version actually uses a preamp section that is tube powered.

WHAT YOU KNOW?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Only the head version actually uses a preamp section that is tube powered.

WHAT YOU KNOW?

Actually the preamp sections for the head and combos are identical. The HD100 has an additional 2 6L6's for more power, but still uses the same preamp tube configuration and tone stack. Strymon just released an SVPre version for the HD100.
Line 6 M13
Have you looked inside of a spider valve?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I've had mine open a few times to bias power tubes, yes.
Line 6 M13
Have you seen preamp tubes?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Have you seen preamp tubes?

To answer this question, yes, there are 2 12ax7 tubes in these amplifiers. However, going back to what you had stated earlier, they are NOT part of the preamp as in traditional designs. The preamp of all Spider Valves is digital. The signal then cascades into the 12ax7 in socket V1, then into the phase inverter V2 tube. The 'preamp' tubes in this case come after the preamp at the effects return portion of the amp. This is why the Strymon SVPre is so effective, it puts an tube before the digital tone stack.
Line 6 M13
The dude's right, the signal is effected by the processor before it ever touches a tube.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Ok, so after I revived this thread and started talking about the SV Pre, I thought it was time to get one for myself and check it out. After a long day of wrok I came home to this little white box with my SV Pre in it. I decided to install it tonight and not wait til morning. 40 minutes of easy work and.....

...Huge improvment in the SpiderValve. I always liked the amp, but now it responds and feels much more like a full blown tube amp. It sound much warmer and actually responds to the volume knob on the guitar. Imagine that? Anyway, the folks at Strymon (Terry), were awesome and shipped this little beauty to me overnight for an extra fee on my part. I just couldn't wait 2-3 days for Priority mail. I would definately recommend this upgrade to anyone who owns a SV.
Line 6 M13