Page 1 of 2
So, I need a new amp to use around the house, and I've had a long love for Marshall Amps. I was at GC this week, and after all the flaming of MG's I've seen all the time on these forums, I had to play one, and I really didn't think it sounded that bad for a Solid State Marshall, but it was overpriced in my opinion. So, if any of you guys own one, please give me some input on how nice it is, after using it for a while. By the way, I'm leaning more towards the MG50DFX, MG100DFX, and the MG250DFX, so if you have much knowledge about those in particular, that'd be great.

-Thanks
why do you want to get an mg? because you like marshall?
the MG wasn't even designed by marshall, they just bought the plan from some other company.
What kind of music do you play?
lol this is not gonna end well
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by rageagainst64
lol this is not gonna end well

So true, tho there are worse amps, i had a crate 15w that was garbage, when i played on my mates MG it was so much better.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
The general consensus on MGs is that though they are tolerable practice amps, they aren't the best.
It is a very bad idea to get one of the larger ones as they sound horrible played any louder than bedroom level, not to mention you can get something much better for the money.
Look into vox and roland for some nice affordable ss practice amps.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Well there is a lot of flaming on MG's on these boards. I dunno, I wouldn't pay that much for a solid state with the options the MG has. I'd rather get a tube and a few pedals and be better off but then getting a tube amp does not automatically mean good tone. If you liked it go for it, who cares what someone else thinks if you liked the tone. Tone will come from your fingers most of all anyways. Heres a fun video of a guy playing an MG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uH5rP159UI&feature=related
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst

So budget?
Type of music you play?
Just home practice...
What guitar are you using most?
Would you consider used amps...
If so what major city do you live near?

Edit: Your considering a 100 watt amp for home practice? Really?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I already know I'm gonna get flamed, and told many many rude things, but I just wanted to know. I played one for about 5 minutes, and it wasn't too bad...for 5 minutes. So, please don't be idiots, and just tell me. For all of you who aren't being stupid, thanks.
The MG half stack is good, but it's really only good if you have effects pedals. The presets aren't that great. Its' good if you want something durable and really loud.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
MG's rule, just like Marshall does.

I have the 250DFX, and i love it, its amazing, get it with the footpedal aswel for chaning of effects and channels on the amp. If possible - i too found brand new marshalls too expensive - try to get 2nd hand one, either from like ebay or elsewhere, marshalls are very over priced imo. Although they are great amps.
its not that there extremely terrible its just that it is extremely easy to find a better amp for the price
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Oct 8, 2008,
I have an MG30, I know you're looking at a 50 or larger but I figured I'd give you my input. It's not that bad of an amp...if you're a beginner. The MG30 was my second amp, and at first I loved it. But after a while, I began to hate the muddy distortion and the fact that the only way I could make it sound better was to use my GT-8's distortion. Bottom line is, if you can afford something better, do it. If I was in your position, I'd save up for a valvestate amp, Marshall or Vox.
Most people who own one are going to rave about it because they probably recently bought it.
Honestly, if you're looking for a cheap amp with pretty good tone look into modeling amps, like the roland cubes and vox valvetronix.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by alternitivebass
its not that there extremely terrible its just that it is extremely easy to find a better ap for the price

+1 to that. So.. budget, genre, locale, etc...
You really shouldnt buy a practice amp over, say, 30w or so imo. Its a practice amp, right? Definately look into Vox Valvetronix amps, and Roand Cubes.
Gregs1020 - I play mainly Classic Rock. I'm using it for home only. Trying to keep it under $600, and I think the 2x12 is only $500 anyway. My guitar, for home practice, is an ESP LTD EC-400VF. And, I could buy a used one, but they're not THAT expensive, so I probably won't worry about that.
Quote by EclipseCT
Gregs1020 - I play mainly Classic Rock. I'm using it for home only. Trying to keep it under $600

This is easy. You have a couple nice amps so another one yet smaller will fill your stable well. You don't need nearly the watts you listed for home use. Initially I am thinking a Ceritone 18 watt Marshall clone, but we could find something really nice in that price range used. What major city do you live near?
Well, it's a practice amp, but I want it to reign over a drum set. I have a drum set in my garage, that my drummer plays on occasion, but my home amp, a Randall RX35RM, has aged quickly from abuse, and it did its job well. So, I need a new practice amp that can take care of the drums, which is why I was talking about the MG250DFX.
Plenty of amps in that range can clear a drummer in a garage. I'm not stalking you - I just want to help you find a great amp at a great price. Nearby major city for the purposes of craigslist search?
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/871162802.html Example, for $275 this would rock the walls off of the garage. Or this...
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/850203375.html Traynor for $300 - epic deal.
Quote by EclipseCT
I was at GC this week, and after all the flaming of MG's I've seen all the time on these forums, I had to play one, and I really didn't think it sounded that bad for a Solid State Marshall, but it was overpriced in my opinion. So, if any of you guys own one....
-Thanks

you said you've read up on this, so already know why they get flamed. if you like the amp then buy it.

in 6 months when you cant stand it, or when it wont turn on anymore, then buy something else.

randall combo or similar if solid state, maybe peavey combo if you're into tube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I owned a 100DFX (I suffer from a Dad who saw "Marshall" and thought it was a great buy, luckily i've set him straight now).
And I have to say, it was tolerable for bedroom practice, however, if you're into getting a good tone, I'd leave it alone, I was constantly searching for great tone, couldn't find it in that amp at all, I eventually got pissed off and sold it for a nice valve amp.

If you DO buy one:
Only use the clean channel, it's the most tolerable thing on there, if you want gain, don't use the crunch or OD1/2 channels, use a pedal, I can recomment the Marshall BluesBreaker II pedals, it can get a nice bit of gain.
If you DO use the OD channels on the amp, do it in moderation, they can sound awful messy.

But I can strongly urge you to look around a bit more, the thing I find abotu them is, the small ones sound terrible, but are easy to have for bedroom practice and the large ones sound slightly better, but are so bulky it's stupid.

And on a light note, I have to say, an Italian blues band has their frontman playing a Marshall MG every time he goes to the Rory Gallagher tribute festival (has to borrow as he can't get hsi Vox AC30 there, plane then a large bus ride, he can only get his guitar and pedals) and he gets a great tone out of it. He does a similar thing to what I suggested with the OD pedal on the clean channel but he uses an Ibanez TS-9.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to suggest some amps!
$600 dollars you say? That's around £300, you should be able to get a Marshall DSL401 one for that (if you're craving the marshall tone) but 40 (I think it's 40) watts Valve may be a bit much.
The Orange Tiny Terror (20 watts) may suit you well, but you'd need to buy a cab and it may go over your budget a bit.
And as you're american this may be a bit hard but Laney amps are always good for that stuff, LC15 and VC 15 would be in your price range in England, however I'm not sure how much it'd cost in America for you.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Oct 8, 2008,
jj1565 - I get your point. What I meant was I've seen a lot of MG flaming, but never any real argument on why they're bad, like the first 3 replies to this thread. Two people said they were terrible, but why??? That's my question.
The main reason they're disliked is the distortion on them as well as the overpricing.
The one my dad bought me was £300 (just about how much you want to spend) for that you can get some great valve amps, or some solid state amps that surpass the MG greatly.
A lot of UGers go overboard with the MG hating, it's not as bad as some make it out to be, but for that cash, you can get so much more.
Construction, reliability, tone - it lacks all of that. I'm not hating, I had one, I don't recommend them. (MG's in general).

So I guess I'm not going to get to search craigslist for you? No major city?
Quote by EclipseCT
jj1565 - I get your point. What I meant was I've seen a lot of MG flaming, but never any real argument on why they're bad, like the first 3 replies to this thread. Two people said they were terrible, but why??? That's my question.

1. They're extremely unreliable.
2. The big ones are nothing but oversized, overpriced practice amps.
3. They sound nothing like a real Marshall (i.e. Plexi, JCM, every other tube Marshall).
4. They're way overpriced for what they are (did I say that already? )

Anyway, your budget is $600, and you play classic rock, so I think an Orange Tiny Terror would be very nice, but you would need a cab. If you don't want to pay that much, a Peavey Classic 30 would also be quite nice. Either of these will obliterate the MG tonewise, and the Peavey would be just about as loud.
i have a better idea.

let him buy the marshall mg100hdfx FULL STACK.

in 6 months he will have his own opinion.
problem solved
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by EclipseCT

i cant speak for anyone else.

but i bought a g50, the old Mg series. the speaker was terrible.
after fighting with the "tone" for 6 months, almost giving up on electric guitars completely. i realized it was the amp.
i couldnt sell it for junk parts. all the sales guys knew it was crap. i think offering me almost nothing for it. i could go on and on. but i could not get a usable tone out of it.

my mom not knowing that the mg series was bad, bought me the little one an mg10 as a gift a few years later. after 2 days it broke. my brother and i took it apart (didnt want to tell her it was bad) anyway, two of the pots came broken from the factory. even fixed, it's still not as loud as a 10 W crap practice amp.

anyway, i get tired of explaining all this. but imo, and after reading TONs of my MG broke threads, i've concluded that they are using their name to rip off kids.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
OK well anywho...

Used Classic 30 or 50, Delta Blues, Crate VC3112 or 5212, Ampeg Jet or Rockerverb (if you're really lucky), JTM30 combo, Traynor YCV50 Blue. Heck see if a Valveking works for you, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be IMO. Good luck.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 8, 2008,
Personally I think a Tiny Terror is overpriced but thats me and you cannot compare a MG to a tube Marshall like a JCM series or the Holy Grail of all Marshall's... the Plexi. Thats just ludicrous sorry. Its a solid state amp, period. Is it overpriced? Yes. Is it bashed more then it should be? Yes. Its it the worst amp you can buy? No.

Quote by which ones pink
1. They're extremely unreliable.
2. The big ones are nothing but oversized, overpriced practice amps.
3. They sound nothing like a real Marshall (i.e. Plexi, JCM, every other tube Marshall).
4. They're way overpriced for what they are (did I say that already? )

Anyway, your budget is $600, and you play classic rock, so I think an Orange Tiny Terror would be very nice, but you would need a cab. If you don't want to pay that much, a Peavey Classic 30 would also be quite nice. Either of these will obliterate the MG tonewise, and the Peavey would be just about as loud.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
1- Ignore everyone here because many are jumping on the bandwagon and many just don't know how to get a good sound out of the amp.

2- I have a song in my profile making fun of glam boi Slash. It was done with the Marshall MG and gives a good idea of what it sounds like.

The MG is not as good as a nice Plexi, but it is a solid amp that can give a decent sound on a budget.

Take a listen and make up your own mind. I know forming your own opinion is frowned upon here, but give it a try.
Quote by DSOTM80
Personally I think a Tiny Terror is overpriced but thats me and you cannot compare a MG to a tube Marshall like a JCM series or the Holy Grail of all Marshall's... the Plexi. Thats just ludicrous sorry. Its a solid state amp, period. Is it overpriced? Yes. Is it bashed more then it should be? Yes. Its it the worst amp you can buy? No.

Of course it can't compare to a Plexi. But there are still plenty of better amps for the price than an MG halfstack. And the fact that Marshall's advertising department always pushes the "MG=Marshall tone on the cheap" bullshit.
And I'd say, for $600, the MG is the worst amp you can buy. There's nothing wrong with an el cheapo practice amp, but a $600 100 watt practice amp? Come on.

Also, you can get used JCM800s for less than $600 if you just look around a bit.
Quote by which ones pink

Also, you can get used JCM800s for less than $600 if you just look around a bit.

Ironically, the TS owns a JCM800.
Quote by SenorSmiley
1- Ignore everyone here because many are jumping on the bandwagon and many just don't know how to get a good sound out of the amp.

2- I have a song in my profile making fun of glam boi Slash. It was done with the Marshall MG and gives a good idea of what it sounds like.

The MG is not as good as a nice Plexi, but it is a solid amp that can give a decent sound on a budget.

Take a listen and make up your own mind. I know forming your own opinion is frowned upon here, but give it a try.

Wondered when you were gonna show ya smilin' face

Now I'm not bandwagoning, I did lots to try for good tone on that thing, and I've already said, I found the tone best for me on it, and that was still terrible compared to anything I can get with a decent valve amp.
I spent roughly £100 on various units to improve tone and only one seemed to work relatively well, and I can agree SOME nice tones come from it.
However this doesn't stop it being terrible compared to a real marshall or another good tube amp.
And your song on your profile isn't particually great tone to be honest.
Now at your "on a budget" comment, I got my valve laney amp that is giving me great tones, for half the price of my MG, and for just a lil' bit more than the MG I could have got a valve marshall (not that I would, just using it for the example), I think I'd much prefer a marshall that could get me closer to the "signature crunch" of their amps than an MG.

And the "forming your own opinion is frowned upon", no you're just a bit pissy cos people aren't a fan of your favourite amp.
I agree try it, compare it to other amps in the price range, you, Mr Smiley, will be surprised that the MG isn't all that great.
I had a marshall MG for like a year, my friend has his still.

Mine crapped out.

His sounds like garbage, the reverb sucks, the speaker if the bass is turned up, since day one. There's no headroom whatsoever. It's just terrible. The quality sucks.

What other amps did you play that same day?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I still have one somewhere, the 30 watt version. Not bad for bedroom practice, but if you see yourself wanting to take the amp out of your room to a larger location, personally I wouldnt recommend it. At high volumes they clip (lose clarity simply put).
Also if you get under the 30 watt model I dont think you get the option of a footswitch, which would be annoying.

For bedroom practice, get the 30 or 50 watt models.
Good luck with this thread!

EDIT: I also wouldnt recommend it if your guitar has active pickups.
Just remembered about the effects, not bad for a beginner who just wants to play around with different sounds.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Last edited by Metfan1991 at Oct 8, 2008,
I sell you my MG100DFX for £250 if you want it

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Page 1 of 2