Im thinking of buying a Line 6 TonePort UX1. So what is your experince from this product? How's the sound?
Included in the offer is 1 months free membership on GuitarPort.com . Any experince from the tabs, lessons and especially the downloadable tones from there?
Is there a similar software where you can download song-specific tones?
I have it, but I don't use it with Gearbox because it's complete crap, I use Guitar Rig 3. The only reason I bought it was for GR3 because my onboard soundcard was too noisy and messed up my tone.

All it is, is a studio quality soundcard that converts your guitar input to line level... so there's really no saying if it's good or bad. It's the program that comes with it that stinks. (Gearbox)
Quote by Ignite
I have it, but I don't use it with Gearbox because it's complete crap, I use Guitar Rig 3. The only reason I bought it was for GR3 because my onboard soundcard was too noisy and messed up my tone.

All it is, is a studio quality soundcard that converts your guitar input to line level... so there's really no saying if it's good or bad. It's the program that comes with it that stinks. (Gearbox)

You obviously haven't tried hard enough to tweak with Gearbox.

TS, as for sounds achievable with the TonePort right out of the box, I own the UX2, which is basically the same thing, and all the recordings in my profile were done using it.

And I dunno what the deal is with that downloadable tones thing, I've had mine for like 6 months and haven't paid for anything more, and I can still download different tones from the Gearbox software itself, maybe it's something different, I dunno
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Tone Port is a great piece of hardware. I have the GX and still have not had any problems. I don't use Gearbox, I use Amplitube Metal, and the sound is great.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by MatrixClaw
.....I can still download different tones from the Gearbox software itself, maybe it's something different, I dunno

so what do u think of the tones? do they sound real?
Quote by MatrixClaw
You obviously haven't tried hard enough to tweak with Gearbox.

TS, as for sounds achievable with the TonePort right out of the box, I own the UX2, which is basically the same thing, and all the recordings in my profile were done using it.

And I dunno what the deal is with that downloadable tones thing, I've had mine for like 6 months and haven't paid for anything more, and I can still download different tones from the Gearbox software itself, maybe it's something different, I dunno

+1 to that. I got a UX2 the other week. I think the amps sound fairly real. My issue is with the high gain models, which imo sound kind of fuzzy and fizzy. I also think the Marshall tones are odd until you dial them in. It's a typical modeler; decent out of the box, but needs dialing in. That said, I don't have any of the gold packs, so maybe they sound better for higher gain. My only other complaint is I can't quite hit that sweet spot yet between muddy and thin. (when I throw up a rough cut of Baker Street on my profile, you'll see what I mean). Overall though, I would buy it again.

PS, yeah, I don't know how the tone things works either. Mine had those out of the box, so I guess it's separate from their pay service.
Quote by CJRocker
My issue is with the high gain models, which imo sound kind of fuzzy and fizzy.

Yeah, that was my problem with it. The models meant for metal I couldn't get anything I liked out of it. I use the JCM800 model boosted with a Tubescreamer model, sounds pretty good for high gain.

As far as the Tone Search thing, some are actually really close, mainly the lower gain ones, though the Joe Satriani one I found for Always With Me, Always With You, is pretty good, that's what I use for my lead tone on it now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Usual problem with high gain amps sounding crap are people cracking the gain t'****. Put it down around 6 on the high gain ones and either strum hard or stick a tubescreamer on it.

+1 for general support of toneports.
Quote by Musicman_91
I know that this thread is a bit old...

Does the UX1 work with Windows XP SP3?

The UX2 works with XP SP3, Vista and Vista 64-Bit, so I'd think the UX1 does as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The UX2 works with XP SP3, Vista and Vista 64-Bit, so I'd think the UX1 does as well.

Thanks!

Anyone who knows the difference between the new all black toneports and the old black and red ones?
The new ones come with Pod Farm, not Gearbox. Prettier interface, can act as a plug-in out of the box too, I think. Don't kno whether they actually changed the sound or not.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.