Page 1 of 2
I'm sure no one will agree with me on this and I'll crawl back into obscurity, anyway...

It seems like there are two distinct groups of people here in GG&A, those looking for metal tone, and those not.

Has anyone ever thought or talked about making a "metal" sub-forum here?

Not looking to cause trouble, it just seems like it would be a lot easier for both groups to find the info they need.

-James (not looking for metal tone)
Quote by Nims
I'm sure no one will agree with me on this and I'll crawl back into obscurity, anyway...
That'd be my best guess too.

If you really want to make a suggestion for the board, try the Site Suggestions subforum.
If that happened you'd have way too many people complaining that their favorite genre didn't get a subsection and the board would fragment into sub-boards for each genre and a general section, which would end up being slightly less annoying than the current system but probably more unwieldy. Better to leave it the way it is.
i guess if you didnt have "i hate metal" in ur sig i wouldnt mind as much.

anyway, like said, there's a section for suggestions.

if you want jazz players to check out your thread, you can put jazz in the title.
you want as many guys looking at your thread as possible.

even metal heads might choose to help you
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i guess if you didnt have "i hate metal" in ur sig i wouldnt mind as much.

anyway, like said, there's a section for suggestions.

if you want jazz players to check out your thread, you can put jazz in the title.
you want as many guys looking at your thread as possible.

even metal heads might choose to help you

So if I'm not into metal, I must be into Jazz? Some unfortunate (and incorrect) assumptions going on in this post Jenny.

Anyway, it just seems like 1/2 the threads here just want the amp with the most distortion possible for as cheap as possible. 500w amps that still sound br00talz in your bedroom. Mostly posted by kids 15 years old who will cease to post here ever again once they get help replacing their MG.

Then the other 1/2 are people in search of actual discernible tone. They have well thought out questions and they've researched their options before posting. People who can actually play. People who have an idea what they want, and have knowledge based on experience not internet bandwagoning. There are some metal guitarists who fall into this category but they're few and far between.

This wasn't meant to be a metal bashing post, more a separation between the same questions asked over and over by the same types of posters and the legit members looking to give and receive thoughtful advice.

Anyway, you know what they say about opinions... I've only been a admin/mod/user on forums for ~8 years or so. What do I know
well, perhaps a system where you put a 1 - 5 in your title detailing how much distortion you want would work easier, or just a 'clean' and a 'distorted' section of gga

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I don't think a Metal section is really necessary. Though a lot of ppl on here are looking for something metal related, I think the reason it shows so much on the boards is b/c people are too lazy to use the searchbar. Almost everyday I see a thread with a title something like "6505 for metal?" or "VK or B52?". People beat these topics to death on here.
Quote by Nightfyre
If that happened you'd have way too many people complaining that their favorite genre didn't get a subsection and the board would fragment into sub-boards for each genre and a general section, which would end up being slightly less annoying than the current system but probably more unwieldy. Better to leave it the way it is.

good point.

i guess, i wouldn't have a major problem with it, but i'm not certain there's a need for it either... i don't think any other guitar forums (at least, those i've seen) have separate gear sections depending on music style...

EDIT: also a very good point jenny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think it would be a waste of time and server space. i mean id rather have everyone be able to look at all the threads at once. and i get the feeling the mods would spend half their time moving things from one section to the other. then throw in the facts that metal heads argue about what is truely metal, fans of other genres would want their own forums, and people can know of things that are good outside their favorite genre(s), i dont think it would work out.

i mean i see their might be some advantages, but i feel the downsides far outwheigh them.
No need. If you see a thread title mentioning "VHT" or "Diezel" I think it's safe to assume it's not classic rock sounds they want, as with "Fender Bassman or Fender Blues Deluxe" for metal. It's not a big issue really. Just hover your mouse over the thread title to read some of the topic starters first post and you'll see what it's about. So if you're looking for info, hover of the tread.
Quote by AdamDK
No need. If you see a thread title mentioning "VHT" or "Diezel" I think it's safe to assume it's not classic rock sounds they want, as with "Fender Bassman or Fender Blues Deluxe" for metal. It's not a big issue really. Just hover your mouse over the thread title to read some of the topic starters first post and you'll see what it's about. So if you're looking for info, hover of the tread.

This. Hover = awesome.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I do agree it gets kind of annoying with 95% of the posts being metal

but what happens persay for people like me? I play ska core, which means i need uber gain and uber cleans. I'm torn. It wouldn't work, and you get enough people posting in the wrong sections anyways.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Nims
So if I'm not into metal, I must be into Jazz? :

i was using jazz as an example.

dont be so sensitive. is loving jazz some sort of insult now?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

wel if you wanna fix that problem then people should put what kind of music theyre into in the thread title (just on the threads w people asking for amps, Od's or distortions)....like they did on the Buy/sale forum w countries
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
i tried to edit my other post to add this but it froze. anyway...

fyi, in instrument sections basics and custom are slow.

gear and EG move, with EG being the fastest.

if you start splitting up the faster sections, you run the risk of creating dead forums.

hypothetically if you liked ska. the best thing to do is hang with the players in the music sections who play ska.

if you find that your ska threads fall to the bottom, that's not because we are flooded with other threads, as much as it has to do wt the fact that no one reading thru ug at that time knows the answer.
that's not going to change if the thread sits unclicked in a quiet part of the site, where the only guys who check it, are the same ones who hang out in the ska section anyway.

at least if it's in section with a lot of hits, someone who normally plays metal but knows a lot about all amps, might take the time to click provided you make a good title.

but what do i know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i was using jazz as an example.

dont be so sensitive. is loving jazz some sort of insult now?

Oh I'm certainly not sensitive. Not on an internet forum at least. Get me alone on the beach with some belle and sebastian playing and a campfire and then I'll be sensitive. Here I'm un-offendable!

I was just being sassy back. FWIW, I love jazz.

I was just trying to think of a way to separate the constant n00b threads from the others, and I drew a corollary to metal that may not have been appropriate.

I guess the fact is there are a lot of young/impatient new posters that aren't going to bother to search or research regardless of how you break down the forums.

Let's pretend I never said anything and all hold hands. Sorry if I struck a chord with any metal lovers (pun intended)

-J
well i can see from your sig you obviously love metal.
it's no biggie to me either way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

if you start splitting up the faster sections, you run the risk of creating dead forums.

hypothetically if you liked ska. the best thing to do is hang with the players in the music sections who play ska.

if you find that your ska threads fall to the bottom, that's not because we are flooded with other threads, as much as it has to do wt the fact that no one reading thru ug at that time knows the answer.
that's not going to change if the thread sits unclicked in a quiet part of the site, where the only guys who check it, are the same ones who hang out in the ska section anyway.

at least if it's in section with a lot of hits, someone who normally plays metal but knows a lot about all amps, might take the time to click provided you make a good title.

but what do i know.

So you're calling us ska kinds losers =[

Naw but really, the guys in the ska forums don't venture into the guitar equipment and such, I actually know quite a bit about all kinds of equipment for all the genres so I dare to venture in here. I was just using a not commonly used genre that I can relate to as an example, not like OMFG SOMBODY NEEDS TO LIKE SKA
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
When you want gear/tone advice, just state what style you play in.

Those with suggestions or opinions will respond.

I didn't realize that was so hard.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Nims
So if I'm not into metal, I must be into Jazz? Some unfortunate (and incorrect) assumptions going on in this post Jenny.

Anyway, it just seems like 1/2 the threads here just want the amp with the most distortion possible for as cheap as possible. 500w amps that still sound br00talz in your bedroom. Mostly posted by kids 15 years old who will cease to post here ever again once they get help replacing their MG.

Then the other 1/2 are people in search of actual discernible tone. They have well thought out questions and they've researched their options before posting. People who can actually play. People who have an idea what they want, and have knowledge based on experience not internet bandwagoning. There are some metal guitarists who fall into this category but they're few and far between.

This wasn't meant to be a metal bashing post, more a separation between the same questions asked over and over by the same types of posters and the legit members looking to give and receive thoughtful advice.

Anyway, you know what they say about opinions... I've only been a admin/mod/user on forums for ~8 years or so. What do I know

You're quite the bandwagon-er against metal for someone who seems to have such distaste for metal. Not to mention some of the best guitarists in all of history have come out of the "br00talz" distortion crew.

You sir, need to open YOUR mind.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by l3p4rd
So you're calling us ska kinds losers =[

Naw but really, the guys in the ska forums don't venture into the guitar equipment and such, I actually know quite a bit about all kinds of equipment for all the genres so I dare to venture in here. I was just using a not commonly used genre that I can relate to as an example, not like OMFG SOMBODY NEEDS TO LIKE SKA

I like ska

But I prefer Rock Steady .

And by the way: Mesa Stiletto Deuce, or Ampeg V4
bit pointless yes, I like reading about vintage amps, and what amps are good for what music, I learned just about everything I know about gear on here
Quote by imgooley
I like ska

But I prefer Rock Steady .

And by the way: Mesa Stiletto Deuce, or Ampeg V4

mesa? for ska? nooo.

But anyways, this idea woulden't work, people would always post in the wrong place.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
mesa? for ska? nooo.

But anyways, this idea woulden't work, people would always post in the wrong place.

Well, what kind of amps are typically used for Ska?
Quote by imgooley
Well, what kind of amps are typically used for Ska?

depends on what kind of ska you're playing. But that's not the point right now.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
depends on what kind of ska you're playing. But that's not the point right now.

Just curious.
Quote by Nims

i take issue and offence at what you're saying. A good tone is needed for metal too; while it's the almost exact opposite of what would constitute a good, say, blues tone, that doesn't mean it's bad tone. all the old bluesers think metallers know nothing about tone, and that may be true, up to a point (at least regarding a good blues tone); but they forget that it goes both ways, and if true, also likely means that bluesers know jack shit about metal tone. believe me, i've seen enough posts by lower gain players telling people who want a metal tone to get a low wattage low gain combo instead of a high gain stack to know that there's at least some truth to it.

i also take offence that metal players can't play. I don't play solely metal, or indeed listen only to metal, but i play and listen to enough to realise that what you've just said is grossly offensive. Last time I looked, there was a lot more complicated playing in metal than there is in most stuff which is even vaguely popular in the mainstream.

Not to mention, like the Guitar Hero game, it may get kids involved in playing, which is a good thing.

I realise you've taken back a lot of what you've just said, and for that, but what I've said stands. I realise that a lot of immature kids like metal, but a lot of us who are not also like metal, and it gets tiresome to always get lumped in with them. It's also extremely annoying when you hear other people condescendingly say, "oh, i used to like metal when i was 13, but i grew out of it", and then superciliously look at you as if to say, "you'll grow out of it soon too, sweetie, we can't all be as cultured as moi". Well I didn't, maybe I just was more mature at 13 to know what I liked. my musical tastes have barely changed my entire life...

sorry, kind of went off on a rant there...

Quote by jj1565

but what do i know.

+1
Quote by Van Noord
When you want gear/tone advice, just state what style you play in.

Those with suggestions or opinions will respond.

I didn't realize that was so hard.

it's as simple as that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Calm it down, Dave! hahaha!

There are some incredulously stupid and foolish people on UG sometimes.....
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i take issue and offence at what you're saying. A good tone is needed for metal too; while it's the almost exact opposite of what would constitute a good, say, blues tone, that doesn't mean it's bad tone. all the old bluesers think metallers know nothing about tone, and that may be true, up to a point (at least regarding a good blues tone); but they forget that it goes both ways, and if true, also likely means that bluesers know jack shit about metal tone. believe me, i've seen enough posts by lower gain players telling people who want a metal tone to get a low wattage low gain combo instead of a high gain stack to know that there's at least some truth to it.

i also take offence that metal players can't play. I don't play solely metal, or indeed listen only to metal, but i play and listen to enough to realise that what you've just said is grossly offensive. Last time I looked, there was a lot more complicated playing in metal than there is in most stuff which is even vaguely popular in the mainstream.

Not to mention, like the Guitar Hero game, it may get kids involved in playing, which is a good thing.

I realise you've taken back a lot of what you've just said, and for that, but what I've said stands. I realise that a lot of immature kids like metal, but a lot of us who are not also like metal, and it gets tiresome to always get lumped in with them. It's also extremely annoying when you hear other people condescendingly say, "oh, i used to like metal when i was 13, but i grew out of it", and then superciliously look at you as if to say, "you'll grow out of it soon too, sweetie, we can't all be as cultured as moi". Well I didn't, maybe I just was more mature at 13 to know what I liked. my musical tastes have barely changed my entire life...

Yes you went on a bit of a rant there, but it was a good one and I agree with you 100%.
Cool rant Dave. If only signatures could be longer than 250 characters I'd sig it for the sake. But I agree with what you're saying.
cheers guys
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

+1

it's as simple as that.

Dave,

Please re-read the last sentence of the passage of mine you quoted. I was clearly talking about someone like you in that sentence. If you took offense to what I was saying you completely mis-understood my intent.

Anyway, let's just pretend I never said anything. Cheers friend. I have been grossly mis-understood in this thread due mostly to the means of communication and A LOT of assumptions being made about what I may have been implying (most of which are untrue) If I had a chance to talk about this with any of you in person I think we'd be on the same page, I just threw this post together quickly in the midst of an extremely busy time at work and obviously I didn't come across as I intended.

Let's pretend this never happened?

As for those of you jumping on the bandwagon to bash me since it's popular at the moment, you may want to step back from the keyboard for a minute. It's unfortunate to see quite a bit of it on this forum. If this exact same thread had been posted by a recognized poster, you would not respond the way you are now.

Just because I'm new here does not mean I'm new to the world. Those of you suggesting I have an open mind may want to consider your own advice. (As I have considered your responses)

-J
most of that rant wasn't even aimed at you, it was in general.

just the tone of your first post (which you did back down from ) sounded a bit like you felt like all the metal posts were detracting from those after "real" tone (i.e. not metal)- it may have come across differently to how you meant, just that's how it came across. I know it's hard to get nuance across on the net, especially when you're in a hurry, i know i've writtten things before that i feel bad about now (and/or should have taken a little more care in how it was worded).

i also disagreed with your "few and far between" point in relation to metallers who did know good tone, most of the regulars who like metal in this (and other) forums act in a similar way to me... i mean there are plenty of non-metallers who aren't regulars and who don't care much about tone etc. too.

I agree we have a bandwagon problem, but that's always existed.

I don't only like metal, so there is an advantage in that for me in that I can sit on the fence and argue both sides, lol. Play devil's advocate, kind of thing. If a metaller (like the ones you mentioned, some of whom do unfortunately exist) made a similar post only with the opposite point of view, I'd likely have written a big long rant slagging him/her off too. I slagged off someone the other day who, in a post about trying to get a metal amp, suggested to the threadstarter that one of the supposed metal bands he'd listed wasn't metal...

as i said, though, don't worry, most of that wasn't aimed at you, it was just a general rant at how a lot of people seem to consider metal a more "primitive" type of music, for want of a better word (often by people who then go on to listen to, for example, the white stripes... o_O). Don't worry about forgetting it was ever posted, I know exactly what you mean, and the type of person you're talking about- just I disagreed that that type of person was so prevalent, and also that we should move the threads to a different section, because if they make a thread in the current section, we can perhaps educate them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 9, 2008,
Nims I have nothing against you. I agreed with his rant because alot of people on here that feel people that play metal know nothing about tone. I play metal, hard rock and I even play Tom Petty styled stuff. I think I might be able to help people that play other types of music. I don't jump on bandwagons. I have a Boss Metal Zone in my sig and most people on here hate them. I have no problem with you but the stuff Dave_Mc said needed to be said.
Quote by Dave_Mc
most of that rant wasn't even aimed at you, it was in general.

just the tone of your first post (which you did back down from ) sounded a bit like you felt like all the metal posts were detracting from those after "real" tone (i.e. not metal)- it may have come across differently to how you meant, just that's how it came across. I know it's hard to get nuance across on the net, especially when you're in a hurry, i know i've writtten things before that i feel bad about now (and/or should have taken a little more care in how it was worded).

i also disagreed with your "few and far between" point in relation to metallers who did know good tone, most of the regulars who like metal in this (and other) forums act in a similar way to me... i mean there are plenty of non-metallers who aren't regulars and who don't care much about tone etc. too.

I agree we have a bandwagon problem, but that's always existed.

I don't only like metal, so there is an advantage in that for me in that I can sit on the fence and argue both sides, lol. Play devil's advocate, kind of thing. If a metaller (like the ones you mentioned, some of whom do unfortunately exist) made a similar post only with the opposite point of view, I'd likely have written a big long rant slagging him/her off too. I slagged off someone the other day who, in a post about trying to get a metal amp, suggested to the threadstarter that one of the supposed metal bands he'd listed wasn't metal...

as i said, though, don't worry, most of that wasn't aimed at you, it was just a general rant at how a lot of people seem to consider metal a more "primitive" type of music, for want of a better word (often by people who then go on to listen to, for example, the white stripes... o_O). Don't worry about forgetting it was ever posted, I know exactly what you mean, and the type of person you're talking about- just I disagreed that that type of person was so prevalent, and also that we should move the threads to a different section, because if they make a thread in the current section, we can perhaps educate them...

Dave,

I appreciate your entertaining the possibility that what I meant to say didn't come across. It's rare on a forum.

Call me James by the way.

I have nothing left to say but this:

I mainly realise it because it's happened to me before.

James.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2