basically my budget is around £500 for a combo and a lil more for a half stack

i play my own stuff but it generally resolves around trivium, machine head, dream theater, satch, ywngie malmsteen(sorry about spelling i couldnt remember how to spell his first name)

i play a jackson ke 3 with seymour duncan pickups

im forming a band very soon so i need something to play small venues

thanks for looking

(i was thinking of maybe a laney half stack)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
a 50 watt combo should suit you. thats all youll ever need to play live. but you live in europe so i dont nkow what to reccomend.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
The Marshall DSL 401 should have enough gain for you, 40 watt tubes more than enough for gigging
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
im not a big fan of marshalls sadly so any other opinions
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
what's your total budget for the halfstack?

if you're willing to spend slightly more on a halfstack, why not spend slightly more if it (may) get you a better combo?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bump after a couple of hours = fail

Anyway, I personally think a DSL would be worth a try. You say you're not a big fan of Marshall's, have you actually played a DSL401? And also, like Dave's mentioned, save more and you could grab a good half-stack.
Engl perhaps? I don't know European prices. And despite what people think, you don't need a half stack for gigging, a combo will do you just fine.
EDIT: ^Don't be an ass, and +1 to Dave.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 8, 2008,
engl's are ridiculous money in england, i would say my budget would go up to around £600, baring in mind i work at mcdonalds for part time job while im at sixth form

ive played, two marshall avt's and i was not impressed, so i just have a bad experiance with marshalls i guess,

im not saying i need a half stack but im just laying down the options,

are randalls good in your opinion?

laneys?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
randall makes a 50 watt combo that is good for metal. I forget the name. Someone here knows.

edit: rg50tc
^^ Most people who play AVT's are destined to have a bad time. The DSL401 is a valve-combo, and is pretty good by all means. Trivium, Satch and experimental it will handle no problem. But £600 stretch, maybe a used 5150?
i could possibly do the 5150 but its finding one when i have the money, i only have £200 for the fund atm and get payed another £270 in a month and im selling my roland and pedal for £170

so its gunna take over a month to raise the funds and finding one might be hard
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
you might manage to find a laney tt50 combo for that... might be worth considering. some people don't think they really manage the very modern metal stuff, so you'd need to try one...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you might manage to find a laney tt50 combo for that... might be worth considering. some people don't think they really manage the very modern metal stuff, so you'd need to try one...

+1. TT50s are quite nice.
AVTs are not representative of Marshalls, they're hybrid amps. Try a true valve Marshall like the DSL and see what you think.
isn't one speaker rather small? i know the power to speaker ratio is different in tube and valve amps but surely a 50 watt amp won't be able to stand up against a half stack
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Marshall JCM800 2204/2203 (2204 would be better for you)
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
isn't the 2204 a head? and it takes up all my budget without a cab
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
isn't one speaker rather small? i know the power to speaker ratio is different in tube and valve amps but surely a 50 watt amp won't be able to stand up against a half stack

Doesn't matter, you don't need the halfstack. The halfstack is a visual thing. With a combo you can jam or do venues, and you can turn it up more which yields a better tone in valve amps. Thus, you don't get the full benefit of a valve stack unless you really crank it up loud, for which the sound man will hate you. Which brings me to the fact that any venue the combo can't cover will definitely have a PA system, rendering the additional power of a stack unnecessary. Just get a 1x12 or 2x12 configuration and you'll be fine.
EDIT: Don't forget to check used listings. Many good amps are within modest budgets if you go used.
ive found a marshall jcm 600 60w valve head and marshall 1x12 speaker cab for £250 and its in the city where i live, is it worth having a look?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
^ go play it and find out...I don't know much about marshals so I can't give too great advice, but for that price, it's worth looking into.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
yeah im going too, its worth a shot

[edit] what do i look for a second hand amp, what could cost me alot of money if it wasn't in good condition, how do i check the tubes and all the other parts
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Oct 9, 2008,
Carvin Legacy combo?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
carvin legacy is way above my budget
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
not really, they go for $1100 in the states, so that should be about 550 pounds, no? it's not too far above your budget.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.