Poll: Do you believe in natural talent?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe in natural talent?
Yes
47 47%
No
10 10%
Somewhat
44 44%
Voters: 101.
So, I did a search bar check on this and I didnt find anything like this.

What I want to know is if you believe in natural talent (Musical or non-musical). I know that some people find it easier to learn a musical instument than others. Do you think its "talent", or is it all down to practice and dedication?

I for one, believe that practice is the only way to get good. I don't believe in somebody just picking up a guitar and getting good without putting shitloads of practice in. Are some people just naturally talented and others not?

Opinions?
Last edited by madbomber233 at Oct 8, 2008,
I agree with you.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
I think you can find it easier to start an instrument but if you don't practise you'll hit a roadblock pretty quickly, that's where you need to practise like crazy.
Obviously you get people with 'natural talent', these are just people that learn in a specific way that just happens to be very agreeable with the guitar. Other people don't learn in the same way so have to spend a lot more time. Either way, without time and dedication your gonna sound crap anyway.
I believe in talent, but I also believe that you must practice to nurture that talent. Natural talent can only go so far.
I believe that people can be good at playing the guitar because of the way theyre genetically put together, i wouldnt call it a natural talent. Learning any instrument or most anytihng in life, even talking has to be practised over years to become good.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by strat335
I believe in talent, but I also believe that you must practice to nurture that talent. Natural talent can only go so far.

yeah exactly. you get people with a natural flair for something, but that doesnt mean someone without it cant be better. talent is basically a jump start
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
I think that practice will bring out talents people have, some people learn certain things easier, while that may not be a 'natural talent' it does give them an advantage in learning the specific task.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
i don't believe in talent
BUT !! some people have ''advantage''
like better finger, greater memory , more ease with music ( theorie ) , etc
but it take some much pratice no matter what
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
i think there is such thing as talent, because some people learn quicker than other people no matter how hard they try. even though i'm not a drummer, one example is keith moon from the who. he never practiced and he was ****ing great
Yep, but it also has a lot to do with the age and extent of exposure to whatever it is you do.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Well it's just like mathematics. Some people just pick it up faster. I dont pick it up at all when we're learning new math things, while my friends gets it right away. I believe it's the same with music to a point. You can only be naturely good to a point, then you have to work harder after that. Some people just get a head start
Quote by bendystraw

"dOOd your guitars way out of tune."

me:"its in drop D idiot"

him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
Of course there are people with natural talent. I know a guitarist who's been playing for two years that could give Herman Li a run for his money and make it sound good at the same time. I've been playing guitar for four years and I can't even properly sweep. He has the natural talent for it, I don't.
I know a drummer who's been playing over a year that can't keep tempo, has no grasp of rhythm whatsoever, and can only do two basic drum patterns. I've never owned a drumset in my life and I'm better than he is just from sitting at my desk tapping my feet along to the music I listen to. He has no natural talent. I probably don't either, but I have more of it than he does.
I picked up the bass and within a year my musician friends were so impressed that they were bringing their friends to my house to show them because nobody knew I didn't suck.
I wanted to be a guitarist, dammit.
Quote by strat335

Yes very true, i mean some people can be very adept with music, but as said - with practise and nuture-ment, it can we wasted or spoiled.
Somewhat.

You can naturally have musical intelligence and be able to adapt to a musical instrument relatively well, but I think it depends on how much you're exposed to it.

If your parents listened to a lot of music when you were younger or maybe they played an instrument or something, I think it makes it a lot easier for you just by being around it.
I'm not sure... I think that talent exists in that you can play well conventionally but i think that imagination is important in making something new that's also interesting. I think that you need both for genius.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
bit of both.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I don't believe in natural talent.
I believe in building upon interests. If something is interesting, you're going to want to do it more often than not.
Same thing with the guitar. If one is interested, they'll practice and get better faster than someone who's just doing it to get chicks.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
You can teach a monkey to do tricks.

Anyone can play an instrument, anyone can play an instrument well, but not everyone's a musician. But musicianship isn't necessarily 'talent', more whether you're born with the ability to develop perfect pitch and to learn music by ear.

I get pissed off when people say 'you're a good pianist', because if they had taken the same lessons that I had and learnt from the same teacher that I had, they would be able to play the same music.

Songwriting, and musical expression are what come from the heart, though whether talent exists I don't really know.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I think people can just be naturally good at things. They can pick it up quicker, you know just find it easier than other people starting out. But, if you don't practice then it doesn't matter. You might have an advantage over someone but if they put time into anything when you don't they will get better than you. I mean natural talent only goes so far, no one will be able to be amazing on guitar, throw a football 100 yards, or a baseball 100 m.p.h when they just start off.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by rabidguitarist
You can teach a monkey to do tricks.

Anyone can play an instrument, anyone can play an instrument well, but not everyone's a musician. But musicianship isn't necessarily 'talent', more whether you're born with the ability to develop perfect pitch and to learn music by ear.

I get pissed off when people say 'you're a good pianist', because if they had taken the same lessons that I had and learnt from the same teacher that I had, they would be able to play the same music.

Songwriting, and musical expression are what come from the heart, though whether talent exists I don't really know.

Doesn't make you any worse at it. You have put enough time in to get good. Besides that, some people have a more natural predisposition, so they learn quicker. That would seem to me like talent.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yeah, it's pretty obvious.

There's more ways to measure talent than just playing the instrument alone. I mean, look at Mozart. He started playing when he was around 3, and even at an age that young he still was able to play pieces perfectly with exact timing. He started composing when he was 4, wrote his first symphony at 8, and an entire opera at 11.

Yes, obviously practice contributed greatly, but it's safe to say he had better musical abilities than just about any other composer I can think of. Beethoven's father tried to make him the second coming of Mozart, the next great child prodigy, but he just didn't have the same musical talent Mozart did.

Some people are just better at some things than other people. Some people just have a natural ability to do mathematics, and some people are just very creative. Talent is relative, and it's not like all humans are born the exact same. Genetically, it's not so hard to imagine some people could be born with better genes for certain activities than others.
And also, when it comes to these musicians like Liszt who practiced 8-10 hours a day, to make yourself do that requires a ridiculous amount of devotion, motivation, and desire, which in itself is not something everyone has. People always say "Yeah, anybody can be that good if they practice", but not everyone does practice. Not everyone could force themselves to sit in front of a piano and play just scales and exercises for 5+ hours a day.
Quote from Good Will Hunting explains it all " Beethoven, okay. He looked at a piano, and it just made sense to him. He could just play. I mean, I look at a piano, I see a bunch of keys, three pedals, and a box of wood. But Beethoven, Mozart, they saw it, they could just play. I couldn't paint you a picture, I probably can't hit the ball out of Fenway, and I can't play the piano. But when it came to stuff like that (math, chem, etc) I could always just play"

Everyone has natural born talent in different areas, now you can overcome deficencies with practice, but some people just never have the talent. Mine is in baseball, it comes much easier to me than most at the college level.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I believe "Natural Talent" is just the ability to practice efficiently.
There are people who excel at things, almost right away. There are people who with practice and work will get just as good as before person. Then there are people who well... Just can't.

It sounds sort of bad, but in my guitar class is a clear example of this.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile