Ok Peeps.

My acoustic guitar, had some fret work done by what I believe to be a decent ish Luthier.

Having learned more about these things, I was looking at the frets and many of them are flat on top.

Now, I understand that if the frets are levelled, they will be flat. But to crown them, is there not a file, that domes the top back over again?

Will try and get a pic later if you need one.

AFAIK, frets should be fairly narrow at the top, to provide an accurate break point for the string.

What do you guys think?
I think they're supposed to crown them, but I've had a fret leveling on on of my guitars where they didn't, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
I agree, and I'll be recrowning some of my guitars soon, because the frets are wearing down.

Your luthier should have crowned them, but you can do it yourself easily enough. Fret crowning files are pretty expensive though, for what they are, but it's worthwhile when you're not paying labour.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I agree, and I'll be recrowning some of my guitars soon, because the frets are wearing down.

Your luthier should have crowned them, but you can do it yourself easily enough. Fret crowning files are pretty expensive though, for what they are, but it's worthwhile when you're not paying labour.

Thanks for that.

I see your local too.

Your Irongear pickups.

I am modding a Start (Pacifica) and intend to use Irongear stuff.

Keith recommended a Steam Hammer at the bridge and Rails in the middle and Neck, which I was going to Tap/Split.

I now think I may go for the Steam hammer, Single Pig in the middle and a tapped Rail at the neck.

What do you think and what is your experience of Irongear generally?

I don't want the guitar to be a monster, mainly!

Cheers