hey im trying to develop this before its too late. i have been playing for 3 months and only just realized that i should probably get this down before anything else. when im doing the standard 1234 excercise, at a really slow speed like 35 bpm, should i lift up each finger and try to keep all perfectly still while putting one down and playing the next note? or should i put them down as i ascend?

yes i have watched fp's video on finger ind.

p.s. is anchoring something i should put a stop to now as well?
Last edited by sgman133 at Oct 8, 2008,
Hey man, I suggest you look into this workbook about chromatic scale exercises that produces finger independence:

The purpose of this book is to provide the guitar player with a wide variety of finger exercises to develop the technique necessary to succeed in today's music scene. These exercises are designed to help increase speed, improve dexterity, develop accuracy and promote finger independence. These exercises cover a wide range of technical requirements to help beginners through experienced pros.
Quote by sgman133
hey im trying to develop this before its too late. i have been playing for 3 months and only just realized that i should probably get this down before anything else. when im doing the standard 1234 excercise, at a really slow speed like 35 bpm, should i lift up each finger and try to keep all perfectly still while putting one down and playing the next note? or should i put them down as i ascend?

yes i have watched fp's video on finger ind.

p.s. is anchoring something i should put a stop to now as well?

Watch FP's vid on correct practice as well as the one on finger independence. And yes, you should put a stop to any anchoring issues now while it's still relatively easy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well to be honest anchorings fine as long as its not too heavy, if your playing metal your gonna be palm muting power chords a lot anyway
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
well to be honest anchorings fine as long as its not too heavy, if your playing metal your gonna be palm muting power chords a lot anyway
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
can any one tell me some songs that are pretty easy and like basic...

im a beginner but im tryin to pick up some good songs so ya, help me out...

feel free to message me or w/e, pce =]
Quote by rastametal

Classic Rock Songs:

Hey Joe
Back to Black
Black Dog
Sunshine of Your Love
Quote by rastametal

Stop posting this in random threads that are relatively un-related to your question. Either make a thread or go to one of the dedicated "what song to learn" threads.
Don't just do 1234 - you need to be able to start and stop with any combination of fingers, and relax fingers if you aren't actually fretting with them

And stop anchoring now.
Ok so I watched FPs video, and I'm a little bit confused. I'm still not sure what finger independence is and how it is good.
^ finger independence is having fingers that can work without other fingers reacting to their movements - for example, you don't have your pinky tensing up when you fret with the 2nd finger - and the fingers being strong enough to deliver good tone when on their own.

It's good because otherwise your hand gets tense and you'll have trouble with anything moderately complex.

Eg, can you play a 2134 lick as easily as a 1234 lick? Why not? There are so many possible combinations of fingering that may be needed - and yet most people can only really ascend or descend in rolling motions like 1234 or 4321 or any 3nps versions of the same thing.

Does that clear things up?
Quote by Freepower
^ finger independence is having fingers that can work without other fingers reacting to their movements - for example, you don't have your pinky tensing up when you fret with the 2nd finger - and the fingers being strong enough to deliver good tone when on their own.

It's good because otherwise your hand gets tense and you'll have trouble with anything moderately complex.

Eg, can you play a 2134 lick as easily as a 1234 lick? Why not? There are so many possible combinations of fingering that may be needed - and yet most people can only really ascend or descend in rolling motions like 1234 or 4321 or any 3nps versions of the same thing.

Does that clear things up?

I see, I see. Thank you very much, it does clear things up.
Contrary to FP's otherwise fine video lesson I believe that when ascending 1234 etc the finger in use should NOT be relaxed until AFTER the subsequent finger has been placed/fretted.
To relax before the following finger is placed invites cementing a lack of legato as part of one's technique. Lack of legato is not, I believe, a goal one should strive for.
Last edited by R.Christie at Oct 15, 2008,