Shred rig
PGM301 £769
Used GH100L £315
Orange 2x12 £387
THD Hotplate £195
Retube with JJ E34L £100

£1776

Now it's time to start saving up for the blues/clean rig
I have come across a big hurdle with regards to weather i should go from a telecaster or a stratocaster, I'm looking for that Stevie Ray Vaughn tone.

Guitar possibilities

Telecasters

Fender Vintage 52
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-52-tele/914
What is the difference between this and the 'Hotrod' version?

Fender Nashville Telecaster
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-nashville-power/1036

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-deluxe-tele/938

Stratocasters

SRV Signature
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-stevie-ray-vaughan/998
Could i be so lame as to have two signature guitars?

Fender American Deluxe
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-ash-strat/66515

Fender American Standard
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75218

Amplifiers

Looking for a warm Fat blues tone than does lead hendrix style

Peavy Classic 30
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-classic-30/446

Fender Blues Deluxe

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-blues-deluxe/67799

Vox AC30

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-ac30-cc2-212-custom-clas/67836

Open to suggestions
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
SRV tone? Stratocaster!!!!! the american standard will get you there for sure, stock too.
I think Strats are better for bluesy stuff. Tele neck pickups are very clean, but not as fat as Strat neck pickups. For SRV, a Fender Am. Strat, maybe with Texas Specials, a Blues Deluxe, and a Tubescreamer, you should be able to get Stevie's tone almost exactly, as that was the bulk of his rig i believe.

EDIT: According to the CROTM thread on Stevie, he used a Twin Reverb. But imo, a Blues Deluxe wouldnt be too bad either.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Oct 8, 2008,
seems like you shoulg get a tele then, even if you will regret it as soon as you plug in
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by qotsa1998
I think Strats are better for bluesy stuff. Tele neck pickups are very clean, but not as fat as Strat neck pickups. For SRV, a Fender Am. Strat, maybe with Texas Specials, a Blues Deluxe, and a Tubescreamer, you should be able to get Stevie's tone almost exactly, as that was the bulk of his rig i believe.

Well Said!
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
If youre lookin for SRV tone, I would go for a Fender Twin Reverb or a Vibrochamp maybe. Just a suggestion
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Opinions on what strat to go for? How about his signature?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Unless you want a Strat that looks like SRVs, Id get a '50s Strat, and if you need to, replace the pickups with Texas Specials. Anything with Texas Specials would be good tho.
Any opinions on amps?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
strat would be better for srv, but if you prefer teles get a tele. what kind of budget do you have? you could always get both... i already posted in your other thread about the amp...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well Ive just put some items on ebay and once they sell I'll have around £400 to my name but ill work in Tesco till i have around £1300 to spend on a guitar/amp
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I'll vote strat here too. Of the amps you posted, the Delta Blues.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ok... you might struggle to get a really good strat + tele + amp for that (unless you get good deals second hand)... i don't know about you but i prefer one good guitar to two mediocre...

are you willing to consider japanese copies and other brands?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've settled for a strat now that tele will have to remain a dream of mine :P and no i'm not willing to consider copies, want 100% Fender, fan boy much!?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
I've settled for a strat now that tele will have to remain a dream of mine :P and no i'm not willing to consider copies, want 100% Fender, fan boy much!?

fair enough. maybe one of those classic players mexican ones? really depends on what you're willing to spend on the amp...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guitar Budget £1000
Amp Budget £600

Srv sig + Blues deluxe ? :P
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeah, you probably won't do much better for £600 for the amp budget (unless you go second-hand)... personally i'd swap those budgets around, but it's really up to you.

(i haven't tried the srv sig)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Couldn't go for a Japanese reissue just don't trust its craftsmanship
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Oct 8, 2008,
dang, forgot about the japanese ones, that's what i'd go for (a non-export one), unless you have enough for a USA vintage reissue...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Erm look what i just stumbled upon, same pickups as the SRV signature?? how does this differ from the signature?

http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/21_41/products_id/1819

Wow check how similar the specs are

SRV
Model Name Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster®
Model Number 010-9200-(800)
Series Artist Series
Colors (800) 3-Color Sunburst,
(Polyurethane Finish)
Body Alder
Neck Maple, Thick “Oval” Shape,(Polyurethane Finish)
FingerboardPau Ferro, 12” Radius (305mm)
No. of Frets 21 Dunlop® 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets
Pickups 3 Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat® Pickups
Controls
Master Volume,
Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
Pickup Switching
5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup
Bridge
Gold Plated Left Handed American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
Machine Heads
Gold Plated Fender/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
Hardware
Gold Plated
Pickguard
3-Ply Black with Engraved SRV
Scale Length
25.5” (648 mm)
Width at Nut
1.650” (42 mm)

Model Name:Roadhouse Strat
Serieseluxe Series
Body:Alder
Neck:1-Piece Tinted Maple, “C” Shape, Satin Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard:maple, 9.5in Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets:21 Medium Jumbo
Scale Length:25.5in (648 mm)
Width @ Nut:1.650in (42 mm)
Hardware:Chrome
Machine Heads:Fender®/Ping®Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Bridge:Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo
Pickguard:4-Ply Brown Shell
Pickups:3 Texas SpecialTM Single-Coil Strat® Pickups
Pickup Switching:5-Position Blade: :Position 1. Bridge Pickup :Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup :Position 3. Middle Pickup :Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup :Position 5. Neck Pickup
Controls:Master Volume, Tone 1 (Neck pickup), Tone 2 (Middle Pickup)

Looks like I've found my guitar guys, It costs £400 and the pickups are worth £200 alone! What a bargain!!!

Same Body wood, same neck wood, same pickups, same bridge (not gold plated)

Whats the catch :P ?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Oct 8, 2008,
i would probably switch the guitar and amp budgets around as well. it's so disheartening to hear an amp strip the tone away from a nice guitar. however, a nice amp can really bring out some sweet sounds out of an average/above average/sweet guitar.

just my two cents. hope you enjoy whatever new setup you go with.
Thanks a lot I just need confirmation that the Roadhouse is a good deal :P reviews on harmony central are VERY positive

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Roadhouse+Strat/10/1

I could pick that up for £400 and then have £700/800 for an amp
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Adam E
i would probably switch the guitar and amp budgets around as well. it's so disheartening to hear an amp strip the tone away from a nice guitar. however, a nice amp can really bring out some sweet sounds out of an average/above average/sweet guitar.

just my two cents. hope you enjoy whatever new setup you go with.

I have been telling him this all day. Thank you.
Isn't that what I've just done? opinions on the Roadhouse greg, thanks for all your help btw
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
My pleasure, I knew you would come around, you care about tone. Have not tried the roadhouse.
Well what about the specifications? Honestly mate, take the 2 mins to compare them in detail to the SRV sig, its mind blowing, I'm trying to find a gimmick somewhere or a pitfall but really can't. I guess you're paying £150/$300 for the name but that still places it around £850 when the Roadhouse is £400. Same woods, same pickups, same bridge :S
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Many times all you are paying for IS the name. The quality of the wood and metals used is potentially different. They look spot on. I would say try them and see what you think. I'd go for the Roadhouse.
Is the roadhouse strat made in mexico? I'm pretty sure that's why its cheaper.
I'm gonna go for it they stock it in my local guitar shop so gonna try it out when i have the cash
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
if you want SRV's tone, you'll need Overwound pickups, a good fender tube amp that has a lot of headroom. A Super Reverb, Vibrolux or Twin should do nicely), an ibanez Tubescreamer. any one will do, he switched them out all the time as time went on. avoid the tonelok one, though.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Strats are great, but I tried a 50s reissue tele the other day, and it was nothing short of brilliant. Amazing blues tone, but not SRV. You do need a strat for Stevie's tone.
just had a thought... i know you said it had to be a fender, but are you aware that SRV also used tokai strat copies? if you can find an 80s Japanese-made one (e.g. on ebay), that's what i'd go for...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?