Okay, so my guitar amp right now is a pretty crappy one, some Marshall MG I got for 50$ at a swap shop, and I have a pretty good bass amp, its like a 120W Hartke Kickback with great tone and stuff, and I was wondering if it'd be safe to play my guitar thru it with an overdrive pedal and stuff.

Or will it damage the amp?
well i mean itd work, but dont count on it working very long. Bass is a similar frequency, but it doesnt support the actual frequency of guitar that well, itll eventually burn out or blow up :P Its like playing your MP3 through it, the amp eventually just gives in.
Quote by pressyre
You can play a guitar through a bass amp.

He was asking if it would damage the amp by doing so. =P

Myself, I don't know, sorry. =/

/7/rR
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Quote by Anthony1991
well i mean itd work, but dont count on it working very long. Bass is a similar frequency, but it doesnt support the actual frequency of guitar that well, itll eventually burn out or blow up :P Its like playing your MP3 through it, the amp eventually just gives in.

it won't blow, playing a bass through a guitar amp is damagable, but not a guitar trough a bass amp
Guitar + Bass amp = fine, it's favoured to use bass cabs with a guitar head by some guitarists.

However Bass + Guitar amp = disaster.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
yeah,some consider to be preferably to play a guitar through an bass amp as you get to hear all the sounds in better quality, reverse it would be bad, but this way its ok to use your pedals also.Maybe its gonna sound a bit "basser" but the amp will be fine and so your other eq
So the general consensus seems to be:

- Play guitar through the bass amp. It will be fine

-Play a bass through your MG. It will be fine
your amp will be fine,,you may even find that you prefer it, ust knock the treble up on the amp extra
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by dancesisidance
Guitar + Bass amp = fine, it's favoured to use bass cabs with a guitar head by some guitarists.

However Bass + Guitar amp = disaster.

bass+guitar amp= amazing while it lasts
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
Yea you are fine, my guitar teacher did it, until he got a line 6 X(
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Josh Homme did it when he was with Kyuss. I know Robert Smith did on occasion, and Adam Jones uses bass cabs.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by SeveralSpecies
So the general consensus seems to be:

- Play guitar through the bass amp. It will be fine

-Play a bass through your MG. It will be fine

hahahaha
Brilliant! An internets for you sir.
Didn't Tony Iommi play through a bass amp for a while?
Quote by shadow__666
Josh Homme did it when he was with Kyuss. I know Robert Smith did on occasion, and Adam Jones uses bass cabs.

Adam Jones actually has a Marshall Bass head running at the same time as his other amps. (Which I believe are Mesa or Diezel).
Wasn't the Fender Bassman a bass amp before a bunch of guitar players started using it back in the day? I'm not a Fender expert but the name seems like a giveaway, haha.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
MAny players play through bass amps because they enjoy the tone. for example, how many players do you think played through a fender Bassman?

i know for a fact that Duane Allman played through 50 watt Marshall Super Bass heads.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by VertigodowN
ya but itll go out pretty qwik

Given the rest of this thread and my own personal experience, no it won't. Stop trying to confuse the man.
Quote by souperman08
Wasn't the Fender Bassman a bass amp before a bunch of guitar players started using it back in the day? I'm not a Fender expert but the name seems like a giveaway, haha.

It was indeed.
Okay thanks, BTW, it'll probably work even better for me because I do rhythm, so a bassier tone might be good. Plus I can finally burn/throw away that marshall PoS, or give it as a "gift" to some unfortunate soul.
I've heard of a few bass amps getting their relatively weaker horns blown by playing distorted guitar through them, but over 90% of the time you'll be fine.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
Jack Bruce played bass through Marshall stacks for years.

Too many kids around here saying things are gonna blow up.

Ridiculous.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Didn't James Hetfield use to play bass amps too at some point??
i do it all the time, sounds sik too. gottaa have a nice bass amp to really appreciate it tho. My fav is to run my gt-8 outputs in stereo......left into the 5150 and right into the 100w ampeg 15.
adjust and BOOM
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by Gundam pilota09
bass+guitar amp= amazing while it lasts

Well, you can run a guitar head with a bass cab. No problems.

A bass frequency range is quite a bit larger than guitar. If you consider the pops and the slaps, the bass range is almost as high, yet quite a bit lower as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Warpo
Didn't James Hetfield use to play bass amps too at some point??

Maybe a Marshall Superbass. it's basically the same amp as the superlead, but it has a larger low end.

Probably the most well known user of this amp in the world of metal is Adam Jones running this stereo with a VH4, Rivera KR7, and 5150 for 10,000 days, or the superbass and 2 VH4's live.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I do it all the time, sounds really nice specially with fuzz
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK