Okay, first thing is I know there are quite a few threads on which overdrive to buy, but I have yet to find a solid answer for me.

I'm looking for a overdrive (not distortion) for playing stuff like Zakk Wylde, Metallica (especially Hammett's solos) and others like this.

I'm between a few pedals at the moment:
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi (I was going to go for the standard, but there isn't a power socket on the normal version)
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss OD3

If someone could tell me from experience which of these is better, I would be very appreciative.

Also, I know the Big Muff is a fuzz pedal, but I have heard you can get sustain from it.

Thanks
Well I believe Hammett uses Tubescreamers, so that covers him. As for Zakk Wylde idk.

btw Big muff is distortion isn't it?

edit: nvm I'm retarded today.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Also, I know the Big Muff is a fuzz pedal, but I have heard you can get sustain from it.

Yes, oh yes you can get sustain. I love the Big Muff.
No experience with the ZWOD or the OD3, but the Big Muff is amazing. The TS9 has a distinctive tone with lots of mids. You either love it or you hate it, so do NOT buy without trying it out first.
Tubescreamers are your best bet for high gain metal solo's i think. always try it out first
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
well,hammet uses a tube screamer...i think.
and if you want a wylde overdrive,use the wylde pedal

but try both out and decide which one you'd rather have
i dont have AD.....ooo,shiny
Okay. When I have enough cash (Which will be soon) I'm going to go to my music shop and try the Tubescremer and Big Muff out. My only concern is that my music shop doesn't have the Little Big Muff. Are the Little Big Muff and the standard the same tone, but smaller? If so then I'll but the Little BM from another shop.

Thanks
IIRC the little and normal big muffs have pretty much the same tone, but tone among the classic big muffs can vary a fair bit. Russian or American Muff at the store?
Quote by Nightfyre
IIRC the little and normal big muffs have pretty much the same tone, but tone among the classic big muffs can vary a fair bit. Russian or American Muff at the store?

They have both at the store.

And does the tone vary enough for me to spend about £10 every month or so on batteries? If I can I want to avoid buying batteries.

Thanks
Quote by DeadlySurfer
They have both at the store.

And does the tone vary enough for me to spend about £10 every month or so on batteries? If I can I want to avoid buying batteries.

Thanks

Power supply?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Power supply?

Thats my problem. The Big Muff doesn't have a socket, yet the Little BM does.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Thats my problem. The Big Muff doesn't have a socket, yet the Little BM does.

Weird. I did not know that
I know that Kirk Hammet and Zakk Wylde both used the Boss SD-1
i'm not sure if Kirk still does or not, but Zakk doesn't since Dunlop made him his signature OD. From experience the SD-1 is a cheaper make of a Tubescreamer. and the ZWOD is an overpriced SD-1.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Weird. I did not know that

I believe that the Big Muff was designed a while back, so thats why it doesn't have it.

If it did, it would be a straight contest between that and the TS9, but it seems alot simpler to get the TS9 and sacrafice tone.

I know! I should never say that being a guitarist, but it would be alot of hassle.
Quote by taytay8b
I know that Kirk Hammet and Zakk Wylde both used the Boss SD-1
i'm not sure if Kirk still does or not, but Zakk doesn't since Dunlop made him his signature OD. From experience the SD-1 is a cheaper make of a Tubescreamer. and the ZWOD is an overpriced SD-1.

I've heard that a few guys like Slipknot use it for a "boost" for solos.

I think I'll try them all out at the store and see what I've got, as its personal preference I guess.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I mean that sincerely. I've narrowed the choice down to the TS9, Boss, and (Little) Big Muff, so I'll check them out.

Thanks again
Quote by charlie__flynn
Tubescreamers are your best bet for high gain metal solo's i think. always try it out first

nah. TS are great pedals, i have one, but i'd stick with a Boss SD-1 super OD or the Wylde Od. the Wylde OD scoops out the mids a little, so it's good for metal tones like Metallica.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.