i was just wondering if you any of yall incorparate strumming into some of yalls original songs. ive found that i rather like playing a small strumming intro with just a bass, or maybe a strumming outro fading out. kinda like dont forget me by the rhcp.

EDIT: for those who do, do you play with a pick or just use your fingers as a pick, like a guitarist who plays without a pick?
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Oct 8, 2008,
I really dislike it... I don't say "hate" because very few people can make it absolutely perfect.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Bass strumming can be awesome. See Dee Dee Ramone, Lou Barlow. Only two who extensively strum that I can think of off the top of my head, but that should be reason enough to give it a try.
i dont necessarily want to do it extensively its just with the band im in now we were tryin to put a song together and i was just screwin around and a short strumming intro sounded badass to me and both of our guitarists, yet our lead singer and drummer both were like no thats not how a bass should be played. it just kinda pissed me off that they thought they had the authority to say how a instrument should be played or should not be played. anyway the intro stayed in cause they're out voted, gotta love a democracy
i do it in a similar style to les claypool. have a look at some primus videos on youtube.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I do one of three things:

1) Pop whichever strings I'm doing the double stop/chord on.
2) Go flamenco ala Les Claypool.
3) Use my thumb downward.

Each sound different and each sound has its own merits.
i usually use my index nail for down strokes and my thumb nail for upstrokes or like yall where saying and using claypools style
If you don't mind some band plugging, if you go to my band's profile on UG and check out the concert we did at The Opera House (playing there again Friday! ), check out the opening track, Quarantine. That's all bass strumming. I clom all the strings with my index finger like a pick.

Strumming is good - but it's about when and how often you strum. Too often's not cool. And when you can, avoid too many octaves, especially in power chords. IMO the power chord with just the root and the fifth sounds a lot more appropriate on bass strummed than that same chord with the octave.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I don't write many (umm, any) originals, but I do have to be fairly creative in the three-piece I play in on Wednesday nights. Saying that, there's a worship song we do that's in 6/8 and, for the first few measures that I play on, I strum a double-stop pattern using the open D-string and the octave, 2nd and 3rd, respectively, on the G-string.

Other than that, no.
Quote by thefitz
Strumming is good - but it's about when and how often you strum. Too often's not cool. And when you can, avoid too many octaves, especially in power chords. IMO the power chord with just the root and the fifth sounds a lot more appropriate on bass strummed than that same chord with the octave.

I'm kinda in the same vein, but I prefer the fifth and octave. Primus style. But also a lot of times whenever I'm doing chording in my band I'll stick with octaves cause sonically they take up even less space than power chords, but still more than plugging along.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
yet our lead singer and drummer both were like no thats not how a bass should be played. it just kinda pissed me off that they thought they had the authority to say how a instrument should be played or should not be played.

They're wrong, simple as that. You should make sure they understand this.
In the intro to Orion, there's the... sixth? I'm too lazy to figure out what so I'll just tab it

|--4--
|--0--
|-----
|-----

I usually strum that down lightly with my thumb because they're not very pronounced in the actual song.

Other than that I'll use pointer finger to strum up or strum down with my pointer finger fingernail.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
My guitarists always said bassist shouldn't be heard... So I turned on my fuzz, went high up in the neck, started doing power chords from hell with palm mutes and all, and did a pentatonic guitar-style solo. Now they just want a bass, and more of it.

Long story short, your guitarists are wrong. Make them beg for your mercy.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
My guitarists always said bassist shouldn't be heard... So I turned on my fuzz, went high up in the neck, started doing power chords from hell with palm mutes and all, and did a pentatonic guitar-style solo. Now they just want a bass, and more of it.

Long story short, your guitarists are wrong. Make them beg for your mercy.

+
And if you play with a pick and they tell you bass isn't meant to play with a pick, tell them that guitar started played with fingers, so they should throw their picks away as well.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
I love Flamenco style strumming on bass. Its powerful, rhythmic and full sounding; it can sound shimmering or grungy. Its one of the few bass techniques I landed in a heartbeat (I took a year of classical/flamenco guitar) and I over use it. Alot. I tend to mix it up with slap like Mr. Claypool. Its fun!

The first song I learned and is dead easy to get this done on bass is "Too Many Puppies". I learned it for a protest gig a friend was trying to throw together this summer. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-p2NhvXmdg

Not the best sound quality, but you'll get a good gander at the technique.

And picks are perfectly acceptable on bass. Its just another technique.
yea i get that picks are perfectly acceptable but i play finger style i was just curious what everyone here did
I use both. I play a decent amount of punk and surf music, so pick works really well those genres. For everything else, its the digits on my right hand.

Its whatever fits sound wise.