First of all i would like to say that i am chuffed to bits with how my practice session has gone tonight, i feel like ive taken giant steps to playing guitar. (Still have a very long way to go yet !!) Anyway, ive just starting to play power chords tonight which i find myself straining abit while playing. (Hard to explain) Is it normal when you first start using power chords that your wrist hurts afterwards ? Or is my hand positioning wrong ?
Okay, my wrist has never hurt before because of power chords, but I can say if your wrist starts hurting, stop for the day. It might be an overuse injury. I have reccuring tendonitis because I overused my wrist and didn't break at all. So pretty much I can't play for days on end (actually, that was a while a go, I braced my wrist for a few months). Take a break and if it hurts again, go see a doctor about it.
Actually, it's perfectly normal to get all kinds of pain when starting with power chords. It's just a matter of building strength and finding a comfortable position.
Quote by davidskan1
First of all i would like to say that i am chuffed to bits with how my practice session has gone tonight, i feel like ive taken giant steps to playing guitar. (Still have a very long way to go yet !!) Anyway, ive just starting to play power chords tonight which i find myself straining abit while playing. (Hard to explain) Is it normal when you first start using power chords that your wrist hurts afterwards ? Or is my hand positioning wrong ?

If your wrist hurts then your posture is probably wrong, watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^Yes. Also, make sure you aren't applying too much pressure. Most guitarists I've seen when starting out on power chords (myself included ) get a 'death grip' on the neck. Try playing while using as little pressure as possible but still getting clean notes. You'll find you don't have to press nearly as hard as you think.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
^Yes. Also, make sure you aren't applying too much pressure. Most guitarists I've seen when starting out on power chords (myself included ) get a 'death grip' on the neck. Try playing while using as little pressure as possible but still getting clean notes. You'll find you don't have to press nearly as hard as you think.

hahaha, "death grip". That describes exactly what I did when I started playing guitar

As for your wrist pain... It's most likely because you're either overbending or not bending your wrist in the right manner. You also might be applying the force on the strings by using your wrist instead of your fingers.

In any case, pain is your body's way of telling you that something is abnormal or wrong. You have to go through the pain to grow, but it's also important to recognize when that pain is a bad kind of pain. Don't just try to fight through all the pain. You have to take a break as well!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have carpel tunner in my left wrist from bad technique when I first start.. sucks ass.