Page 1 of 2
The concept was to design a bypass pedal that by itself would alternate to on and off.
The speed of these alternations would be controlled by a speed knob.
I need help but does anyone know how i could design this?
Draw up a schematic maybe?

Included is this picture i drew up.....
This would be cool, maybe add a tap tempo switch as well? That would probably require something digital though.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
So let me get this straight, this is basically an automatic on/off switch for your guitar? Like an automatic killswitch in pedal form?
Cool. Could be interesting, I might even have to get the schematics and make my own.
you'd need a 555 timer circuit to fire a relay to kick the loop in i'd imagine

thank you GCSE electronics
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
My friend made something similar to what I think you're describing in my electronics class last year . He made it with an intergrated distortion unit though. I think he just used a 555 timer to turn the output on and off. Seemed to work ok and that had the variable speed you'd want.
ABBA
Quote by -MintSauce-
I love the name.. that's all.

Thanks

The original name was the Segmentstrator.
I had this same Idea a while back, but never got it off the ground. If I find out something Ill pass it along, as I hope you might do for me.

I beleive using a 555 chip and a 100k? pot you would be able to adjust your speed of "Fragmentation", but finding out the best wiring to teh 555, and all teh other goodies is the hard part.
You could mod a tremolo pedal to kick straghit off instead of fading (set the 'depth' to max, and make the oscillation abrupt, I mean).

No need for 555s and shit. Plus a relay would be too noisy.

Design flaw: No need for a Fragment switch. The bypass will turn it on and off.

Nice MSPaint work, ts.
I think everyones geting me wrong.

I want it to be a loop.
That turns the pedals in the loop on and off like a bypass switch.
and it turn the bypass on and off automaticly to a set speed via the knob.
so if i had, say a distortion in the loop.
It would alternate between clean and distorted?
I say yes to 555, no to relays. I'll draw up a scheme for you tomorrow if I have time.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Your idea is not new, this pedal is called an tremolo pedal.

You just need a gain stage with an oscillator circuit tacked on.

If you want the signal to go from full amplitude to totally off you'll want to be developing a square wave design. A sine wave wont cut the signal totally off.
Ok now everyone here has got the concet of this pedal mixed up.

The pedal turns off the pedals that are in the loop then back on again.
So if it was a distortion in the loop, it would be distorted for say 3 seconds, then clean for 3 seconds then distorted for 3 seconds... ect.
and all this without steping on pedals.
And the speed that it would turn off the pedals in its loop would be controlled by the "speed" knob.

Any further explainations?
Hahhaaa, I love how everyone is posting in this thread as if they know what's going on/know what they are talking about when they are clearly thinking of something totally different than the TS is talking about.

In other news, I don't know how you might accomplish this task, and I think it's pretty original, and would love to see it happen!
Quote by lumberjack
Hahhaaa, I love how everyone is posting in this thread as if they know what's going on/know what they are talking about when they are clearly thinking of something totally different than the TS is talking about.

In other news, I don't know how you might accomplish this task, and I think it's pretty original, and would love to see it happen!

Thank you
The word Fragment in Fragmentron basicly means its fragmenting your effects on and off.

Its a marvelous idea to me.

-Put an EQ in there, turn up the speed and youve got 2 tones of choise alternation back and forwarth as fast as you desire.
-Put a wah in there and youve got some freaky filtering back and forwarth.
-Put in a WHAMMY pedal or other pitch shifter and you could go crazy with infinate ideas.

Such a versatile idea in my opinion
Hell might even become the next thing in your favorite guitarists rig.
You dont have to put ALL of you pedals in there.
Think of it like yu would a feedback loop.
Only put in the ones you wish to effect.

Its mainly aimed trwards the experimental.
i happen to want it and am building it for myself.
Quote by Invader Jim
More power to ya, man. Innovation is always good.

Its a terrible world where originality is shunned upon.

Who knows, when im done ill post audio clips of its many possibilitys.
If anyone digs it ill make em one :]

And considering how basic the design should be i might not even charge practicly anything at all.
You could do it with a simple relaxation oscillator and an nMOSFET and a pMOSFET.

Boom cha, Mcw00t's back, baybeh.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']
Its a terrible world where originality is shunned upon.

Who knows, when im done ill post audio clips of its many possibilitys.
If anyone digs it ill make em one :]

And considering how basic the design should be i might not even charge practicly anything at all.

if you've not gotten a schematic yet I have something like this drawn up using one switch for on/off and using a 555 timer and relay. I'll post it once i find it.
Quote by XgamerGt04
if you've not gotten a schematic yet I have something like this drawn up using one switch for on/off and using a 555 timer and relay. I'll post it once i find it.

The slight problem that might come from using a relay is that it has a higher current usage than an FET, thus running the battery down quicker, and can cause a slight voltage spike on your signal, depending on how strong the field is around it when it switches on and off.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
So ok now im going to explain what everything does in as deep of detail as i can.

The bypass works as a regular bypass loop.
Think the boss pedal but increadibly simplitised to just the setting of turning the loop on and setting it to bypass.

The "Fragment" button turns on the "Fragmentation" of your effects residing in the loop. For an example of how this sounds you can start playing guitar and turn your lead channel and clean channel back and forwarth to a rythymn while playing.
This is just one thing it can do.
Ad it can do it much faster that anyones feet ever could to a perfect rythymn...
*Tomas Haake Exculded of coarse*

This is the basic concept.
It doubles as a new type of pedal and a regular bypass loop.
Get it?
This has just confused me more O.O

The new type of pedal will be fine by itself, the bypass is just too simple to waste time on, but I'm not sure how they'll synergise.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
This has just confused me more O.O

The new type of pedal will be fine by itself, the bypass is just too simple to waste time on, but I'm not sure how they'll synergise.

Put yourself in this sintuation.

Your on stage, you want to use all of the effects after you turn off he fragmenting.
so you turn off the segment switch and its just those pedals normaly.
ok
done
now your using the fragmentron again but after you turn it off you want all those effects in the loop off and who knows how many there could be.
So you step on the bypass and it turns off the pedals and leaves just an unedited signal.

Get it now?
Ohhh, right, that's piss easy then.

Shame I have no scanner to send you the schem if/when i draw it

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
The slight problem that might come from using a relay is that it has a higher current usage than an FET, thus running the battery down quicker, and can cause a slight voltage spike on your signal, depending on how strong the field is around it when it switches on and off.

True about it running the battery down fast. However, using a relay that has a lower current draw would extend battery life. Also using a battery adapter would be a good idea, most likely if a person has a need of this effect they would probably have a 9volt adapter.
Quote by mcw00t
Ohhh, right, that's piss easy then.

Shame I have no scanner to send you the schem if/when i draw it

Windows paint ?
Quote by XgamerGt04
True about it running the battery down fast. However, using a relay that has a lower current draw would extend battery life. Also using a battery adapter would be a good idea, most likely if a person has a need of this effect they would probably have a 9volt adapter.

FET would still be easier.

They're cheaper, there's no mechanical parts to go wrong, they don't siphon battery power like I siphon petrol (out of peoples cars).

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Windows paint ?
Drawing it atm

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Beginner Bass
Like a killswitch?

no.
read all my posts.
Im sicker than a holocaust victom here and wont repeat myself.

I believe will work. I'll do a quick number crunch on the component values in the oscillator if you want to build it that way?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t

I believe will work. I'll do a quick number crunch on the component values in the oscillator if you want to build it that way?

Im going to need a bypass switch, an guitar in and an amp out.
Plus this is only going to turn off the effects in the loop correct?
Not the entire sound like a kilswitch.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Im going to need a bypass switch, an guitar in and an amp out.
Plus this is only going to turn off the effects in the loop correct?
Not the entire sound like a kilswitch.
It'll turn off just the effects in the loop, and it's not hard to work out how a bypass works, replace the oscillator/MOSFET for a switch.

Guitar In is wired directly to Effects Send
Effects Return is wired directly to Amp Out.

EDIT: I'll just edit the schem quickly to avoid confusion.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX

That's it with the switch, it currently just switches between bypass and fragmenter on.

To make it on normally, put a DPDT switch with Effects Send on one of the middle lugs, and all the connections to it on the lug below it. Same with Effects Return on the other set of lugs on the switch.

Hope you understand

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Page 1 of 2