I'm wondering...

If i were able to offer tools similar to stewmac (mitre box, router base, fret templates, tang nippers, radius blocks, etc, etc, etc) at prices lower than stewmac but of similar or better quality... who would be interested in what I had to offer?

Reason being:

I have access to CNC machinery and would like to make specialty tooling for luthiers. I figure with my dealer authorizations from allparts, guitarpartsusa and mojomusicalsupply if i were to offer specialty tooling as well I may have something worthwhile...

let me know what you guys think.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
I'm wondering...

If i were able to offer tools similar to stewmac (mitre box, router base, fret templates, tang nippers, radius blocks, etc, etc, etc) at prices lower than stewmac but of similar or better quality... who would be interested in what I had to offer?

Reason being:

I have access to CNC machinery and would like to make specialty tooling for luthiers. I figure with my dealer authorizations from allparts, guitarpartsusa and mojomusicalsupply if i were to offer specialty tooling as well I may have something worthwhile...

let me know what you guys think.

that would be great stewmac prices are really high I'd probably buy a bunch of stuff
awesome. i'm going to talk to my buddy as soon as i get back from vacation and start working on some product designs.

what would you all be interested in?

Aside from all of the parts I have available through the 3 sites in my signature, what would be the greatest asset to everyone?

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
why just the US?

What really bugs me is there is no European equivalent to Stew Mac, and while SM is relatively cheap for me, the shipping and customs charges is like getting raped in the bum bum, so I would really like some one who can ship from warehouses in Europe at decent prices.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 8, 2008,
Yeah, if you could do Canada, and get some advertising that you do Canadian shipping at decent rates, then thats a pretty good market man!

I think you would do well, and if you could ship to other countries at decent rates, you could be world wide!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Oct 8, 2008,
wait.. are you an authorized dealer of allparts parts? thats pretty cool... I might be interested stewmac is getting a little expensive... I'd definitely be interested if your stuff was cheaper lol.
If you can ship to Canada, I'm interested.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
I think what you will find after your costs in setting up, prototyping, R&D, etc Stewmacs prices will look pretty reasonable.

Dave
Well, we all have to start somewhere. The US, being where I am, is probably the easiest market to get into at the moment. As far as R&D and prototyping, the R&D is best done beind the horns of the beast... meaning if i need something, I make it. If i make it and it works, I can definitely find ways to make it better and/or marketable.

Example: my fretwire bender was made from a plastic board and patio bearings from home depot. What's to say I can't take the exact same design, make the plastic pieces out of aluminum and BAM. A fret wire bender similar to the screwmac with the U shape in the patio bearings for a straighter, smoother guide action.

Fret pullers and tang nippers are just modified off-shelf items. Having access to a full machine shop allows me to perform the necessary modifications and sell the so called "specialty tooling" at a slight premium to make up for my time.

A lot of the screwmac stuff is easily available (and cheaper) through other sources... like micro mesh... i found it at www.micromark.com for half the price...

top that off with the parts, the pickups i've been selling and (hopefully someday) guitars... I may have a decent side business someday... sometimes you gotta take chances

Carousel, yes, I'm an authorized dealer of allparts, mojomusicalsupply and guitarpartsusa. I'm working on getting my website set up right now (it's cheesy looking at the moment because it's only an hour old). Just pick out what parts you'd like and email me with the website, part number and quantity and I'll send you back a price quote with shipping and handling. Right now I accept money orders and paypal but will eventually have a full online store with CC capability... I'm only starting out so give me some time please

Defintely interested. Going into my first build I don't want to be spending alot.
What really bugs me is there is no European equivalent to Stew Mac, and while SM is relatively cheap for me, the shipping and customs charges is like getting raped in the bum bum, so I would really like some one who can ship from warehouses in Europe at decent prices.

yes yes yes
right now i have to wait til relatives are coming over from america that can bring my order with them cause shipping is a massive % of the cost
Stewmac have 30 years of history and damn good service as a background for their business. Sure, you can put in a bunch of time to try this out, but other than a handful of forum people, and maybe some sales via eBay, you aren't going to get far.

If people could do it better, cheaper, they would have already. In fact there was a guy only two years ago doing the exact same thing, fret benders, tang nippers, etc, and he lasted six months before he ran out of people to sell to.

How many people need a fret tang nipper? How many people will need to repurchase a fret tang nipper? How many people who need a fret tang nipper are going to need other supplies as well, and may as well just get the whole lot from SM? Think about that... honestly. If your answer is 'but i can sell all the same tools as Stewmac...' then you are talking about a $$$hundred grand investment. If you are putting that much in, Im sure you have the forethought to want to actually make a decent return for your risk...

Basing a business case/plan on the opinions of forumites, who mostly visit to gawk at guitars being made rather than build or mod themselves, is a pretty risky move.

But, by all means, go for it and prove me wrong!!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Oct 9, 2008,
Let me ask you something Perry, when you started out, where did you picture youself in 5 years? I appreciate and respect your opinions but when they come off seeming derrogatory it's just useless soap box banter.

I still work a full time job and pull in a small fortune for what i do so I don't really need the money. I'm not worried about it to be quite honest. I enjoy a challenge and the thrill of doing something worthwhile to try to better myself for the future. The beauty of having the ability for manufacture ANY kind of product is a viable asset to have. I've been looking for products to manufacture and this will only be the beginning. I'm looking to do this because it's something I've truly grown to love. I'm sure you wouldn't build guitars if you didn't enjoy it.

If I wanted to be rich, I wouldn't try to do it making/selling guitar stuff. It's a limited market. I'd stick with making aerospace and medical components. Let's put it this way... I'm responsible for the safe landing of every Airbus A380 ever built... 4 years ago I lead the manufacturing team that manufactures their landing gear valve components at a subcontractor in the USA. I'm not some kid posting a dream on a forum. And you know as well as I do how powerful word of mouth can be. The GB&C alone has hundreds if not thousands of hits a day. If 10 people purchased something - anything - and liked my prices and services, they'd tell 2 of their friends who would tell 2 more etc, etc, etc.

Ormsby guitars went from a small shop with a bathroom for a spray booth into a worldwide known company. Did you ever picture that? Did you think for one minute that your quality and craftsmanship would be held in a regard as high as the top name brands and that you would single handedly change the face of luthiery? Maybe you did, maybe you didn't... either way, success is something we all strive for... one tang nipper, bone nut or fretwire bundle at a time. The specialty tooling would only be a small part of what i'm looking to do. I'm doing repair work right now and would eventually like to get into something bigger. I have friends with very high connections and would like to at least sell one or two guitars - that in itself would be worth the investment and time. I also plan to have my suppliers work for me by passing their discounts to me onto my customers.

*steps down off of soap box*

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Let me ask you something Perry, when you started out, where did you picture youself in 5 years? I appreciate and respect your opinions but when they come off seeming derrogatory it's just useless soap box banter.

Derogatory? Or just not following along with everyone else?? I see it more as being realistic. After all, you DID ask for opinions, and as a purchaser of tools, machinery, etc etc (not a pipe dreamer), Im giving it to you If you see it as derogatory, read it again

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

I still work a full time job and pull in a small fortune for what i do so I don't really need the money. I'm not worried about it to be quite honest. I enjoy a challenge and the thrill of doing something worthwhile to try to better myself for the future. The beauty of having the ability for manufacture ANY kind of product is a viable asset to have. I've been looking for products to manufacture and this will only be the beginning. I'm looking to do this because it's something I've truly grown to love. I'm sure you wouldn't build guitars if you didn't enjoy it.

If I wanted to be rich, I wouldn't try to do it making/selling guitar stuff. It's a limited market. I'd stick with making aerospace and medical components. Let's put it this way... I'm responsible for the safe landing of every Airbus A380 ever built... 4 years ago I lead the manufacturing team that manufactures their landing gear valve components at a subcontractor in the USA. I'm not some kid posting a dream on a forum. And you know as well as I do how powerful word of mouth can be. The GB&C alone has hundreds if not thousands of hits a day. If 10 people purchased something - anything - and liked my prices and services, they'd tell 2 of their friends who would tell 2 more etc, etc, etc.

Ormsby guitars went from a small shop with a bathroom for a spray booth into a worldwide known company. Did you ever picture that? Did you think for one minute that your quality and craftsmanship would be held in a regard as high as the top name brands and that you would single handedly change the face of luthiery? Maybe you did, maybe you didn't...

Funnily enough, i visited my old employer last week, from about twelve years ago. They were reminding me about how id always talk about being a guitar maker one day, and wanted to take over the world. I had a dream, and a view of the big picture, and went for it. Im not even a 1/4 of the way there yet.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
either way, success is something we all strive for... one tang nipper, bone nut or fretwire bundle at a time. The specialty tooling would only be a small part of what i'm looking to do. I'm doing repair work right now and would eventually like to get into something bigger. I have friends with very high connections and would like to at least sell one or two guitars - that in itself would be worth the investment and time. I also plan to have my suppliers work for me by passing their discounts to me onto my customers.

*steps down off of soap box*

Fine, but think about it like this...

You want to make pickups
You want to repair
You want to one day build guitars
... make and mod tools
... cnc fretboards
... order in parts for reselling to others
... whatever else ive missed.

Pick one thing. Do it well.

I understand the 'i love it, its not the money' theory. I also understand car, mortgage, wife, kids, holidays, food, etc don't appear from nowhere. I also understand we need time away from work, or clients. I also understand our family and friends need our time.
If this is a VIABLE business, it should be considered as such... a replacement of your full time work (maybe not to begin with, but eventually)... because you cant advertise being able to build guitars, repair guitars, make custom tools, do wild and wonderful fretboards, cnc out some bodies, order in some stuff from allparts, etc etc etc etc etc. Know what i mean? It sounds like a HELL of a lot of work, when you already have a hell of a lot of work....

Are you REALLY going to tell me you LOVE grinding a simple line in a base plate of a nipping tool, fifteen times over in a week, to make a few dollars? Cause, you arent going to do them one at a time, right?

If you LOVE guitars, building guitars, making 'stuff', then go and buy a pile of wood, push your cnc out of the shed, and start making some guitars. Forget about the small stuff. Forget about modifying a nipper with a ground line, forget about slotting a fretboard for some random dude, go and make something you can stand back and be proud of. Then make another one. And another one. Think of it as a hobby, and strive for the best. Forget about making a couple dollars here and there, just build. Look at the bigger picture. If you do that, you'll have guitar commissions (or whatever) coming out of your ears.

Anyway, its 3am. Ive been doing bookwork and emails all night, I have to be up in 5 hours for another full day at work, then off to hang around at a gig for four hours to get a handful of photos.... not everything about being a guitar maker is awesome.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Thank you very much Perry. I was commenting on the fact that sometimes your opinions come off rash sounding. Your last message was much more appreciated

But correct me if i'm wrong... the majority of your business is repairs, custom guitars are a smaller percentage, you have an online store on your site selling parts and wood and wind your own pickups...

aside from a larger customer base and more years in the business, what's the difference?

I'm doing things I love. I love the customer relationship i gain by discussing options and working through problems. I love the thrill of taking a piece of wood and turning it into something beautiful, I love the challenge of someone saying "hey Phil, I have this 34 year old flood victim les paul that needs a refret and a refinish... think you can help?". I love the fact that I can offer quality parts from the larger names in part suppliers and offer them a slightly better price. I even love being able to help out anyone I can in these forums and I enjoy and appreciate the help and feedback I get from others.

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Oct 9, 2008,
as much as i hate to put a good guy down, i really do think stewmac has everything covered in this area and there are cheaper options via ebay and whatnot, stick to the multiscale FB's and bridges honestly nobodys doing that right now..
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^ well, let's see where things go. For now I'm going to work on the "special" fretboards and bridge/saddle kits and see where it goes from there.

Who knows... maybe i'll one day have my bridge/saddle assembly on an ormsby

I think another thing that some people haven't considered is just the cost of materials is all that has to really be paid for since manufacturing is all done in house. So I mean, on the raw materials for complete custom things, I think there may be a good shot at being cheaper. Now you may not make a ton of money, but it'll still be sweet.
Yea, i'm not trying to be a millionaire... just trying to provide a service .

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Who knows... maybe i'll one day have my bridge/saddle assembly on an ormsby
Considering he's already prototyping his own bridges, and has the fretboard pretty much down to a T, I wouldn't hold your breath lol

Theres no point competing with Stew Mac, they already have a huge customer base, and arnt going out of buisness any time soon, but as like a boutique alternative it might be alright, you know selling better quality stuff at resonable prices, to a smaller customer base of people that appreciate you. People buy into that 'support the smaller buisness crap'

people come in to where I work (one stop) because they dont want to shop at tesco, because tesco is too big and powerful (the brilliant irony being that one stop is owned by tesco lol).

I guess the only negative thing I would say is that you do seem to be flicking between a lot of things, which is good in its own right because you want to provide a lot of good services to people, but I think perfecting one thing at a time may be better.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 9, 2008,
WHY DIDNT U START THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT ALL THAT S*** FROM STEWMAC?????? seriously, i could have saved a boatload of cash and free shipping cause i could just tell my dad to drive me down there an pick the stuff up!!!!

if i start another build, remind me of this before i even see the word stewmac...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
Thank you very much Perry. I was commenting on the fact that sometimes your opinions come off rash sounding. Your last message was much more appreciated

But correct me if i'm wrong... the majority of your business is repairs, custom guitars are a smaller percentage, you have an online store on your site selling parts and wood and wind your own pickups...

aside from a larger customer base and more years in the business, what's the difference?

The difference is, Im in Australia, the opposite side of the world, where people would rather go for a drive to see someone, than talk online. Where people really have no other option, purely because there isnt (or wasnt) anyone doing what i do. When i started selling parts, there was not a single store on or offline that sold electric guitar parts for builders. Take a guess how many parts ive sold this month... its not enough to bother with.
The repairs were something I thought i could do whilst i built up the custom guitars business. Now they are two seperate things, and soon, i dont plan on doing ANY repair work myself.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
I'm doing things I love. I love the customer relationship i gain by discussing options and working through problems. I love the thrill of taking a piece of wood and turning it into something beautiful, I love the challenge of someone saying "hey Phil, I have this 34 year old flood victim les paul that needs a refret and a refinish... think you can help?". I love the fact that I can offer quality parts from the larger names in part suppliers and offer them a slightly better price. I even love being able to help out anyone I can in these forums and I enjoy and appreciate the help and feedback I get from others.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
WHY DIDNT U START THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT ALL THAT S*** FROM STEWMAC?????? seriously, i could have saved a boatload of cash and free shipping cause i could just tell my dad to drive me down there an pick the stuff up!!!!

if i start another build, remind me of this before i even see the word stewmac...

well, there's still some shipping charges involved due to the fact that even I have to order the stuff online... but I could save ya some cash either way

Quote by Absent Mind
I guess the only negative thing I would say is that you do seem to be flicking between a lot of things, which is good in its own right because you want to provide a lot of good services to people, but I think perfecting one thing at a time may be better.

I'm not "flicking" between things. The way I see it, if I need a tool, I can make it. If I make one, I should make 5. The other 4 I could sell. I only buy the important tools from stewmac like the mitre box, slotting guages, router base, etc. Those are all tools that, while are wonderful, are also very pricey for what they are. If I could offer a comparable item for, say, 20% off of what stewmac sells it for... who wouldn't want to save $14 on a $70 item? .

Quote by Ormsby Guitars
The difference is, Im in Australia, the opposite side of the world, where people would rather go for a drive to see someone, than talk online. Where people really have no other option, purely because there isnt (or wasnt) anyone doing what i do. When i started selling parts, there was not a single store on or offline that sold electric guitar parts for builders. Take a guess how many parts ive sold this month... its not enough to bother with.
The repairs were something I thought i could do whilst i built up the custom guitars business. Now they are two seperate things, and soon, i dont plan on doing ANY repair work myself.

Point taken, but considering I'd have to order these items for guitar builds as well, I just figured i'd try to pass some of the savings to other people. I know there's a lot of younger kids (and even older guys trying to make ends meet) that can't really afford the high prices they have to pay for certain items and I'm just trying to provide them a service. It's all about networking, as you know. As far as repairs go, I'm pretty much at the infant stages and figured I could subsidize my income by doing the repairs for people while I perfect my guitar building... it's a little extra to 1) help pay off my supplies, 2) gain a customer base and 3) give me additional experience to get better at what I do.

As far as the custom tools are concerned... it was just a question - not a definite solution. My buddy was hounding me for work for his CNC, I offered him an idea and he's willing to go with it. Pretty much all i'd have to do is design and program the parts, he could run the production and keep the inventory... but again, just an idea and I was looking for some feedback. Thanks for the comments everyone Now i'm off to the vegas strip to gamble a bit. I'm up $200 since yesterday

Do I smell a UG guitar players/luthiers market sprouting?

Mmmm... smells like... sawdust? Hmm... that's exactly what one would think it would smell like too... I was hoping for lemon
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Shino... cut sapele... it smells great rosewood just smells like cat piss

lemon would be too overpowering eventually... I prefer orange.

I was actually thinking about that instead.. or lime, but I think that would be too strong too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
orange ftw!!!! go orange oil ur fretboard. trust me. smell good. plays good. gets rid of all s*** thats collected on ur fretboard.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
If you could offer a stewmac type service to Europe at a good price and write (happy birthday) on the box so the people can avoid customs charges, you're in.
My Sig Is Coming Soon