So I'm just gonna put down exactly what I want to do below, and I want some feedback, what will/wont work, what might be a bad idea, ect. and if someone could kinda gauge how much i'll spend on this thatd be awesome.

CUSTOM FENDER MUSTANG
-Mahogony body (custom cut)
-60's LP style neck (fender style headstock)[suggestions on fingerboard wood?]
-One Humbucker at the bridge (Seymore Duncan JB?)
-Moved Imput jack to the side rather than front
-Tune-o-matic bridge
-Custom cut pickguard (just because they dont make one for a single humbucker)
-Kill-switch replacing the old imput jack placement
-Locking tuners (company suggestions?)
and that should be it for now, any help is much appriciated.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Oct 8, 2008,
sperzel locking tuners, or i personally like planet waves.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
You could definitely get that done for TONS less than $1000. You just need to be willing to spend time hunting around for deals. There are a number of quality wood dealers on eBay, and you can definitely snag stuff on there for about 1/4 of the price of somewhere like warmoth, lmii, or stwemac. Also, check around your local area for wood working shops, and ask them where they get their wood, or just look directly for wood dealers/lumber yards. Again, eBay and craiglist would be the place to go for deals on hardware and electronics. If you're talking about getting that build done from a body blank and a neck blank ( hunks of wood, basically ), and you already have the tools, it could be done for less than $500. Obviously, that figure does not including the gratuitous amounts of labor/time/effort/sweat/blood/other miscellaneous bodily fluids/parts/organs you may or may not end up incorporating into the build.
Quote by lumberjack
You could definitely get that done for TONS less than $1000. You just need to be willing to spend time hunting around for deals. There are a number of quality wood dealers on eBay, and you can definitely snag stuff on there for about 1/4 of the price of somewhere like warmoth, lmii, or stwemac. Also, check around your local area for wood working shops, and ask them where they get their wood, or just look directly for wood dealers/lumber yards. Again, eBay and craiglist would be the place to go for deals on hardware and electronics. If you're talking about getting that build done from a body blank and a neck blank ( hunks of wood, basically ), and you already have the tools, it could be done for less than $500. Obviously, that figure does not including the gratuitous amounts of labor/time/effort/sweat/blood/other miscellaneous bodily fluids/parts/organs you may or may not end up incorporating into the build.

ok, you could get it done for tons less than $1000, but when you build a guitar, it's no time to cheap out. get GOOD woods, if you have never cut out a body, get a professional to do it, don;t get cheap hardware/pickups/electronics.

here's the basic breakdown:

Mustang Body + finish - $355
70's fender style maple neck - $222(maple or rosewood fretboard) or $238 (Ebony)
Bridge - $55
Schaller Mini Locking Tuners - $51
Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker - $78
various electronic components (Potentiometers, capacitors, jack, etc) - $50

all this should come to around 800$.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
ok, you could get it done for tons less than $1000, but when you build a guitar, it's no time to cheap out. get GOOD woods, if you have never cut out a body, get a professional to do it, don;t get cheap hardware/pickups/electronics.

here's the basic breakdown:

Mustang Body + finish - $355
70's fender style maple neck - $222(maple or rosewood fretboard) or $238 (Ebony)
Bridge - $55
Schaller Mini Locking Tuners - $51
Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker - $78
various electronic components (Potentiometers, capacitors, jack, etc) - $50

all this should come to around 800$.

He should make the body himself, it will only cost about $100 in materials. It isn't really hard either, as long as you have access to tools.

He should make the neck too, it is a great learning experience, and with patience, it isn't very hard either. Also, it will cost probably $100 if done right.

That just leaves the finish, which might be $25 of Duplicolor.

Those electronics would be around $20, at most.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by Øttər
He should make the body himself, it will only cost about $100 in materials. It isn't really hard either, as long as you have access to tools.

He should make the neck too, it is a great learning experience, and with patience, it isn't very hard either. Also, it will cost probably $100 if done right.

That just leaves the finish, which might be $25 of Duplicolor.

Those electronics would be around $20, at most.

if it's his first time building a guitar, i would recommend he build it from parts, not from scratch. electronics wise, my philosophy is if you're going to build it, use only the best. thats including pots, jacks, switches, wires, capacitors, etc
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.