So before I got my Hellraiser my Tremonti SE was my primary guitar, and as I got more into metal I decided to change the bridge pickup. In my ignorance I saw the EMG HZ and thought omg this is the answer to all my problems, now I know otherwise. Since I already have a guitar now with active EMGs, I want to change both the pups in my PRS to give me a different feel. I still want them to be high output, but I don't want a different guitar that sounds exactly the same. I was thinking along the lines of 59/JB, Evos or PRS Dragons. I'd like to have chrome covers for vanity reasons, but they are not necessary. I'm still going to be playing harder music, but I want a tone that's going to different from my Hellraiser. Good cleans would be a pluss too.
Have you looked into the ZW 85/81 pickup set?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
Have you looked into the ZW 85/81 pickup set?

I have that exact set in my Hellraiser, I'm looking for passive pups for my other guitar to give me another option for tone.
Quote by zhunt1130
I have that exact set in my Hellraiser, I'm looking for passive pups for my other guitar to give me another option for tone.

hmm.. well I don't know many.. just cuz I use the 65/61 and never looked back.. The Ibanez EMG v7 v8, have a distinctive tone.. some say it's mediocre.. It works some times.. but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
^ believe me my hellraiser is my go to guitar and I love the tone I get with the 81/85 set...I just figure if I have another guitar why not make it different, it would be pretty redundant to have 2 guitars with the same pickups, especially EMGs b/c they would sound almost identical.
I'd go for either a Dimarzio Drop Sonic or a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF Pro or Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I guess I should refine my question a little bit...I think more what I'm looking for is something to deal with gain on say the level of Lamb of God or Metallica, and have really good cleans too. My main beef with the HZ I have in there now is the compression too so something that would fix that.
If you don't want a compressed quality to the tone then you don't want anything too hot or too full-on EQ wise, maybe a Dimarzio Norton with a Humbucker from Hell in the neck....Dimarzio make chrome tops too, which look even cooler than covered humbuckers

The more I think about it, the more I think that would be one amazing sounding guitar.

There's always my old standby of a pair of Breeds, which are fat and warm sounding. You do get a touch of compression in the tone becasue they're fairly hot but it's offset by the growly, organic tone they have. You'd get amazing cleans from the HfH though.

Here's my clips of a Breed-equipped mahogany guitar running through my Ashdown

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

I'm still leaning towards the Norton/HfH set for you though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
If you don't want a compressed quality to the tone then you don't want anything too hot or too full-on EQ wise, maybe a Dimarzio Norton with a Humbucker from Hell in the neck.

The more I think about it, the more I think that would be one amazing sounding guitar.

Ah I just realized I worded that kinda funny...what I meant by that was I was disappointed with was the lack of compression I have now.
Quote by zhunt1130
Ah I just realized I worded that kinda funny...what I meant by that was I was disappointed with was the lack of compression I have now.

Now you confuse me

If you want something to contrast with the EMGS, which tend to have that compressed quality to the tone, then surely you want something that has the opposite kind of sound...more open, less busy, more organic, less...well, compressed?

Also, from the 2 bands you mentioned I believe Mark Morton of LOG uses a pair of Duncan 59's which are vintage output.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Maybe I'm just confusing myself...I just want something that can handle lower gain styles such as LOG and Metallica but add better cleans to that...I think I was over complicating things
I think the Norton/HfH set would work well - the Norton is a medium output pickup. It's very versatile and doesn't have the massive midrange spike that some of the "shreddier" Dimarzios have - it's got mids but everything's a bit more even...it also has killer harmonics, it's up there with the Evolution and Tone Zone in that respect.

The Humbucker from Hell is designed to sound almost single-coil-like so has amazing cleans. It's quite a bright pickup because of that but it suits mahogany bodies nicely. You'd get a guitar that sounds very different from the Hellraiser but at the same time it could still handle the heavier stuff no problem - it'll sound different and have a noticeably different "vibe" but it won't sound wrong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc