Has anyone here played this? I just tried it at the local GC today and I think im in love. I'm in the market for a new amp and was originally thinking Carvin or GK because I love the the clear precise tones they are capable of dilevering. My keyboardist saw that the peavey was on sale for only $550. (It's originally $900) I was worried it would be the typical big warm tube tone that would be too muddy for my liking, but to my pleasant surprise it wasn't as warm as I expected. It really cleans up nice on the clear channel for solid state clarity, yet with a twist of your bass's volume it overdrives quick and gives you a sweet distortion. Anybody else play one?
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I go to Guitar Center just so I can play it. I was originally set on an Ampeg SVT-3, but after playing the VB-2, I was blown away. I was able to achieve my dream tone in a matter of seconds.

I will say though, the overdrive doesn't sounds as good as you would think at full blast, but I only use a tiny bit of it just to get some grit on the tone.
My next amp, but if you want to use the overdrive channel I suggest a boost or overdrive pedal as it seems to clear it up a lot, especially at high volumes.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by ele1122
I go to Guitar Center just so I can play it. I was originally set on an Ampeg SVT-3, but after playing the VB-2, I was blown away. I was able to achieve my dream tone in a matter of seconds.

Its amazing, I just love how It can sound warm, yet still cut through, my fear is a muddy tone thats lost in the mix. The GK 1001rb I had my heart set on seems a bit sterile now.
What I liked is that there is a constant growl. Even lowering the mids, there was still a cutting edge on it. I didn't really boost the lows at all though. In fact, I kept them around 2 or 3.
I tried it and ****ing ****ing loved it. I actually preferred it to an SVT. I loved how it broke up and grinded. It also didn't have that LOOK AT ME I'M A TUBE AMP SO I'M BETTER THAN YOU kinda sound. It was really impressive. If you are getting it for that kind of a price, make sure the tubes are okay and stuff, they aren't that old yet, so I dunno why they would be going that low. But if its all good, for sure get it if you can deal with the added expense and hassle of owning a tube amp.
I've played through one a couple of times, and was extremely impressed! It sounds great and is very well-made. At first I thought, "What, EL34's in a bass amp?" but it sounds really, really cool! Tone, feature, and construction wise, it'd by far be the smart choice over an SVT Classic. Plus, $900 is a sweet price for an all-tube head.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by IndianRockStar
I tried it and ****ing ****ing loved it. I actually preferred it to an SVT. I loved how it broke up and grinded. It also didn't have that LOOK AT ME I'M A TUBE AMP SO I'M BETTER THAN YOU kinda sound. It was really impressive. If you are getting it for that kind of a price, make sure the tubes are okay and stuff, they aren't that old yet, so I dunno why they would be going that low. But if its all good, for sure get it if you can deal with the added expense and hassle of owning a tube amp.

yeah, the guy I talked to said I could probably get by with replacing tubes every two years and it would run me $ 150. Definitely worth it in my book. I'm pretty sure I'm going to swing in and get tomorrow. How's your Carvin treating you? I was originally going to go for a Bx1200, but the tubes have spoken, and I really like what I hear for a price I just cant refuse.
Quote by pedalguy1
yeah, the guy I talked to said I could probably get by with replacing tubes every two years and it would run me $ 150. Definitely worth it in my book. I'm pretty sure I'm going to swing in and get tomorrow. How's your Carvin treating you? I was originally going to go for a Bx1200, but the tubes have spoken, and I really like what I hear for a price I just cant refuse.

I'm really enjoying it. There's so many tones to be worked out of it, has awesome features on it, and even flat it sounds good. Plus, today I discovered I can get some cool feedback out of it with a distortion, chorus, and wah. I have a clip of that on my profile right as I figured it out.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I'm really enjoying it. There's so many tones to be worked out of it, has awesome features on it, and even flat it sounds good. Plus, today I discovered I can get some cool feedback out of it with a distortion, chorus, and wah. I have a clip of that on my profile right as I figured it out.

Thats pretty sweet, sounded like some creepy x files thing, or a flock of rabid birds, either way it'd make a rad song intro in my book. lol. One of my main problems with Carvin is that I just can't try it out locally, a guy on talkbass posted some sound clips of his and it was just way to plain for me, though to be fair, his EQ was flat. I loved the bi-amp option and the seperate switchable EQs looked way fun to play with. I'm sure with a little coaxing you can find some nice tones in there, it looks super versitile. I might have to pick up a used one down the road.
If you can get that head for $550, go out and get it NOW. Hell, sell it later. Get it NOW. It's an investment.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I got it!!! I think it sounds great, but im not sure its loud enough. I can hear myself alright, but im still not where I want to be. Maybe more speakers? Im using an Ampeg 4x10.
That's strange. Really. Are you 'using it properly'? Are you sure you have the pregain at a level that's high enough? It should be, in theory, approaching the volume levels of an Ampeg SVT CL.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
That's strange. Really. Are you 'using it properly'? Are you sure you have the pregain at a level that's high enough? It should be, in theory, approaching the volume levels of an Ampeg SVT CL.

Your probably right, Im a tube noob and I was just messing around with it at our practice area at the keybordist house. At one point I cranked the mid knob on my bass. (active EQ) and it sounded like the ampeg was distorting so i was time to turn down. Are you saying I need to set my gain first then twist the master volume as needed?
That's exactly what I'm saying. This is how I do it - I start with setting the gain until I'm just coasting the clipping (which you may or may not mind considering it's a tube amp). Then, I work the EQ, boosting or cutting the gain slightly as I boost or cut the EQ, so I'm still coasting the clipping. Then my tone is set. From that point on, all you pretty much need to do is use the master volume.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
That's exactly what I'm saying. This is how I do it - I start with setting the gain until I'm just coasting the clipping (which you may or may not mind considering it's a tube amp). Then, I work the EQ, boosting or cutting the gain slightly as I boost or cut the EQ, so I'm still coasting the clipping. Then my tone is set. From that point on, all you pretty much need to do is use the master volume.

But if i set the gain to borderline clipping, wont boosting and cutting EQ and turning up volume sent it over the clipping level? I dont wanna fry my cab.
He means clipping at the input stage. You set your input gain to where it just clips on the hardest notes, or maybe a little more. Next, adjust your EQ, and then raise your master volume to the appropriate level. If you have the Ampeg 410HLF, it should handle the VB-2 just fine.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
You only fry the cab if the power amp is clipping - and if the amp's putting out more juice than the cab can handle. Keep the master on super low, and there's basically nothing you can do to the preamp to make the power amp clip and your speakers blow.

Put it like this - the gain is the instrument's volume, and the master is the amplifier's volume. Make the instrument as loud as you can before it starts distorting, then raise the amplifier's volume so everyone can hear it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by mountaindew88
He means clipping at the input stage. You set your input gain to where it just clips on the hardest notes, or maybe a little more. Next, adjust your EQ, and then raise your master volume to the appropriate level. If you have the Ampeg 410HLF, it should handle the VB-2 just fine.

Quote by thefitz
You only fry the cab if the power amp is clipping - and if the amp's putting out more juice than the cab can handle. Keep the master on super low, and there's basically nothing you can do to the preamp to make the power amp clip and your speakers blow.

Put it like this - the gain is the instrument's volume, and the master is the amplifier's volume. Make the instrument as loud as you can before it starts distorting, then raise the amplifier's volume so everyone can hear it.

So increasing the gain makes the preamp clip? And this is the good sounding tube clipping right? One more question. I've heard that a watt is a watt either solid state or tube, but the only reason why tubes seem louder is harmonic overtones. Is this correct?
Quote by pedalguy1
So increasing the gain makes the preamp clip? And this is the good sounding tube clipping right? One more question. I've heard that a watt is a watt either solid state or tube, but the only reason why tubes seem louder is harmonic overtones. Is this correct?

Basically.
Kind of.... tube amps do emphasize even-order harmonics, which makes the clipping less harsh and more pleasant-sounding. The reason tube amps sound much louder than SS amps of the same rating is because they move into clipping much more smoothly and evenly, such that most of the time it's not perceived by the ear. SS amps break off into clipping very harshly near the upper ends of their output.

To give a rough estimate of percieved volume, I generally multiply a tube amp's wattage by 3.7 to assume the solid-state equivalent. For example, your 220 watt Peavey VB-2 is equivalent to an 814-watt solid-state amp. And it sounds a lot better, too :] But there are other factors in percieved volume as well, such as the amp's voicing. Ever wonder why a little 300-watt, solid-state GK 800RB is louder than most 500-600 watt amps? Voicing, my friend.

And yes, a watt is a watt. One joule or energy per second.
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 10, 2008,
Where'd you get that 3.7 nomenclature?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Where'd you get that 3.7 nomenclature?

I would like to know as well. Is there a set in store formula about figuring out wattages. It sounds like a lot of variables to factor in IE: how muuch your driving the tubes and exactly what kind of power amp tubes your using ect. Also the peavy amp engineer who designed the vb-2 said that the power transitor was over-desinged and the amp can be biased to put out 300 watts instead of the listed 225.
3.7? Just made it up on my own. Nothing official. I came up with the number last year, but I don't remember how or why. Sounds like BS, but when you plug it in it comes out pretty accurate

As far as "biasing" the Peavey for 300 watts, I doubt it. It's EL34-based. You would need some really badass EL34's to handle that plate voltage.

Put it this way: The SVT uses massive transformers to blast six 6550's with 700 volts at the plates. Each 6550 is putting out 50 watts, and they're getting cranked to their limits. The size of the amp's transformers cause the thing to weigh about 80 pounds.

Besides, 225 all-tube watts is massive enough as it is! That extra 75 watts wouldn't make a terribly large difference, especially because the VB-2 is really voiced for volume as it is.
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by pedalguy1

Yes this makes the preamp clip. Extreme preamp overdrive is the clipping metal guitarists tend to love, poweramp overdrive is the fatter, fuller, harmonically crazy overdrive that other guitarists love. If (with guitar, not bass) you want that "true tube overdrive" sound, it usually refers to powertube clipping, though lots of pedals and preamps certainly use preamp tubes to warm things up in a nice organic way.

How you apply this to bass is up to you. 12ax7 clipping is going to be a little edgier, nasilier, and fizzier than powertube clipping, but in moderation that can add a nice little snap and sizzle to the bass tone. You rarely go to a venue big enough to really overdrive the powertubes in a bass amp, but that's a fuller (potentially fartier) type of overdrive sound.

Plus I dunno about el34s you might get powertube breakup much eariler than someone using 6880s or other typical bass tubes, and the breakup would probably be more musical in these typical guitar tubes.
With this overdrive thing, I'll add something. There's two channels, a "clean" one and and "overdrive" one. There's a separate gain for both. But on the drive channel, with the gain cranked, it sounds terrible. Really fizzy and there's no balls to the tone, its almost like you've lost low end or something. But on lower gain settings, its really nice. So you could set up the clean channel for your clean tones, and the drive channel for a more dirty tone.