1.) Why does it have the "/" in the name?

and 2.) What are they voiced for? Are they American voiced... or British voiced?

Thanks.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
1.) Why does it have the "/" in the name?

and 2.) What are they voiced for? Are they American voiced... or British voiced?

Thanks.

1) Same reason why miscro$oft has the $ in there... Just cause I really don't know to be honest.

2) EXTREMELY American voiced. EXTREMELY. At least the rectifiers are.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Oct 8, 2008,
i dont know what the / is unless its for a bogner but that is irrelevant.

a good rule of thumb is if it has 6l6 tubes, ittl be american voiced, and el34 tubes will generally be british voiced ( ie marshall )

your popular rectifier amps are a good example of a modern american voiced amp, as well as mark 4. stilletto has el34 power tubes, therefore more british.
1. have no idea
2. depends on which model you're talking about they have plenty to choose from
1.Randall Smith, the creator of Mesa Boogie began his career at Prune Music, a Chinese grocery store turned music shop. Working as a repair tech while his business partner and friend, David Kessner, ran the front, Smith quickly gained a reputation with the local San Francisco Bay Area musicians. This reputation lead to business from bands including the Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company, and Carlos Santana.

In 1969, Smith, as a joke, modified Barry Melton's (Country Joe and the Fish) Fender Princeton amplifier. He removed the standard 10 inch speaker and modified the chassis to fit the larger transformers that were needed by the 4-10 tweed Fender Bassman, the circuit that he had added into the tiny 12 watt Princeton. Finally, Mounting a 12 inch JBL D-120, a popular speaker of the time, Smith had created what would be the first Boogie.

Randall Smith, needing to test his creation, took the "hot-rodded" Princeton into the front store. Coincidentally, Carlos Santana was present and "wailed through that little amp until people were blocking the sidewalk". Impressed, Santana exclaimed to Smith, "Man, that little thing really Boogies!" It was this statement that brought the Boogie name to fruition.

The MESA name came about through Smith's other job, rebuilding Mercedes engines and repairing houses. He needed an 'official' sounding name through which to buy Mercedes parts and building supplies. The name chosen was MESA Engineering because it was seemingly familiar with a professional air. It was originally capitalized but has been written as Mesa in recent years.

2. American, no doubt...
They're not britishy at all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
1. I think it's (like Souls United said...which, if i remember correctly, is almost exactly what Wikipedia has for the origins), it's a combo of Mesa Engineering and Boogie Amplification, or something like that; I know the Mesa part is real.

2. Mesas got their start as being modded Fender amps (they used to mod Bassman's I believe), so obviously they're american.
They do make models that claim to be British sounding, but as a whole the company's amps are heavily American.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101