Between two combo amps.
Either the Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50, or the Engl Screamer 50.
I play mostly metal like Lamb of God, Machine Head, Megadeth, Testament, and some Amon Amarth.
But I would like to have decent cleans as well.
Which one?
Mesa doesn't have enough gain for any of those.

Engl is the clear winner here.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa doesn't have enough gain for any of those.

Engl is the clear winner here.

you mean the express doesn't have enough gain for it right? because mesa, in general, has TONS of gain.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
I actually have the exact same question...but I play different.

I tried out a Mesa Express 5:50 2x12 combo in the store in the sound-proof room, and i clicked extremely well with it. Loved it, and i said my decision was solid thats the amp I wanted.

Still, though, I've been thinking about this ENGL Screamer 50. My uncle, who's been a luthier for over 40 years, uses ENGL, but says I should get a Mesa...I don't know.

I don't go into heavy shit that much. If I could pinpoint genres, it would be classic rock, hard rock, modern heavy metal, modern/alt rock, and a touch on thrash metal. I don't need superb amounts of distortion, but I do need a top-tier clean channel for tones from indie rock to RHCP to Elliott Smith. I dunno though, I'm leaning towards the Mesa.

I use a Fender American Special strat HSS config, mahogany body(And I would not rather have any guitar over it in the world).
Quote by travd92
you mean the express doesn't have enough gain for it right? because mesa, in general, has TONS of gain.

Not all Mesa's have tons of gain; if you knew about the Lonestar you wouldn't have said that.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?