Hi I have an epiphone les paul standard and a vox valvetronix 30 watt and am looking for a really good all around blues tone. I am only willing to spend money on new pickups or some pedals (i know im cheap). Anyway ask away and thanks.
you're not gonna get a great blues tone out of a big heavy mahogany body and humbuckers. sorry kiddo.
edit****

I didn't realize how wrong I was. Ignore my post, I don't know how I got that impression. After hearing what people can do with LPs, I'd have to agree with the people that are saying mess around with your amp settings.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Last edited by cds+stereo=life at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by cds+stereo=life
you're not gonna get a great blues tone out of a big heavy mahogany body and humbuckers. sorry kiddo.

You DO know that tons of blues guitarists (other than SRV) used LP's right?
Honestly, SRV is blues, but not everyone is a SRV type.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
you need a tele
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
look into an ibanez or maxon tubescreamer, for a little punch in your tone. SRV used 2 of them, or atleast as far as i know. someone plz correct me if i'm wrong
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by cds+stereo=life

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

Quote by wyldeshredder
look into an ibanez or maxon tubescreamer, for a little punch in your tone. SRV used 2 of them, or atleast as far as i know. someone plz correct me if i'm wrong

Yep, he used one of them as a preamp for the other.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by cds+stereo=life

this guy is a moron. a whole lot of blues guitarists use LPs. pickups have a huge effect on your sound. check out pickup manufacturer websites and start doing research. better yet try out different guitars with certain pickups you like if you can. for blues id look at lower output paf type buckers for starters. duncan makes p-90s that fit in humbucker routed guitars called phat cats that i personally like for blues. i have one in the neck position of my ibanez semi hollow and its awesome. closer to a humbucker sound than a strat sound but without the high end definition loss associated. as for pedals you probably dont need any more distortion than you have so id suggest a 6-10 band EQ for maximum tone shaping.
Really I love LPs but if you want the blues tone go get the epi studio dot, or a cheap tele you wont be disappointed.
Quote by cds+stereo=life

i don't want to jump on the flame bandwagon (because i personally like strats)

so I'll show you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVVrl9FkKnY

if thats not good tone , I don't want good tone
Ok what kind of tubescreamer should I get the ts7 the ts808 or the ts9. Im sorta leaning towards the ts9 but ill need some input.
Quote by SeanNapier
i don't want to jump on the flame bandwagon (because i personally like strats)

so I'll show you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVVrl9FkKnY

if thats not good tone , I don't want good tone

I stand corrected.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
The neck pickup on my RG2EX1 sounds really nice with my champ when playing bluesy stuff. Humbuckers CAN deliver nice blues tones.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
yes loads of people use humbuckers i saw funkadelic they played a blues number with a "slap of mahogony" and a mesa dual recto. So thats not true. But for that edgy sort of tone, a single coil is better. Check out say buddy guys rig. Id say maybe a tele/strat maybe LP, and then a nice blues amp. Maybe a fender of some sorts, although I saw someone getting a great blues tone out of a ceriatone 18w on youtube.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by liamdude555
Hi I have an epiphone les paul standard and a vox valvetronix 30 watt and am looking for a really good all around blues tone. I am only willing to spend money on new pickups or some pedals (i know im cheap). Anyway ask away and thanks.

I have a really cheap solution - don't buy anything and learn how to use your amp.

There's no way on earth you can't get a nice blues tone out of the gear you already have.

Quote by cds+stereo=life

Two words...

Peter.
Green.

...oh, okay then, three words.

Moron.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ELydnDgKY
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 12, 2008,
The blues 'sound' is all in the fingers. If you have the technique down for it, then you'll get a great blues tone for anything.

If anything - the best blues tones I've heard have come out of either a Les Paul or a semi hollow guitar, but the true blues embodiment would be using any guitar nearby to play it, not worry about obsessing over the SRV sound.
blues is all about dynamics, bringing it up then settling down. this is the best example i can think of. you have to lean to play lighter and heavier, find a setting on your amp that's really responsive to how you play. you should be able to find a decent setting on your amp.

if you really find that effects are necessary, get an Ibanez TS. they are a very responsive pedal. do NOT get the TS7. it is a peice of shit pedal only playing off of the TS name. get the TS9, TS9DX or the TS808. musiciansfriend.com has a couple of scratch n' dent TS9s on sale right now.

TS9
TS9DX
TS808
TS9 Scratch n' Dent
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by cds+stereo=life

wow you are so wrong
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by steven seagull
I have a really cheap solution - don't buy anything and learn how to use your amp.

There's no way on earth you can't get a nice blues tone out of the gear you already have.

Two words...

Peter.
Green.

...oh, okay then, three words.

Moron.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ELydnDgKY

This.

Last May I went to a friend of mine's gig (he has a blues/jazz band), and one of the guitarists had a VOX AD30VT, and the other guitarist had an 100W Hughes and Kettner (all tube). Believe it or not, the VOX guy had a much, much, much better tone... (they both played Fender: the VOX guy had a Strat and the other had a Tele)

All you have to do is know how to mix knobs the right way.

PS: Oh, you can add Gary Moore to that "I'd kill for his tone" list.
Three things about him:

1. He plays the blues
2. He uses a Les Paul (I think it's Peter Green's Les Paul, actually)
3. He has one of the most incredible tones ever. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Quote by TimmyPage06
The blues 'sound' is all in the fingers. If you have the technique down for it, then you'll get a great blues tone for anything.

+1 , same for the guy under him about dynamics.
This thread is making me

Look, it even made John Lee Hooker facepalm

Anyway, you don't have to buy anything. Put your amp on the any of the channels on the left hand side of the model knob, add some reverb and maybe some tremolo, and have at it.

Oh, and boost teh midz.

90% of my clips on my profile were recorded with an AD50VT and an Ibanez Artcore. Most of them are blues.