I'm sure the "what guitar" topic is very popular around here but it must be done as I am out of ideas of what to look for.

Basically what I am looking for is a guitar with 24 frets and a fixed bridge. I was looking at the PGM301 from Ibanez but what ruined it was not having a tone nob which really kills me. I use the tone control all the time when I play so I kinda need it. AND I'd prefer not to have to do any modifications.

I play mostly shred but I play many different styles so I need the guitar to be versatile. Which is one reason I looked at the PGM301 seeing how it has a single coil I can access I figured it could probably reach a pretty good clean tone.

Btw, I don't really have a real broad knowledge with electric guitars(mainly just acoustic guitars, but even that is limited.) SO, any alternatives or advice on certain aspects of the guitar would be nice also.

Hopefully someone can under stand this mess

Budget: Around 2000 preferably 1500 though.
Last edited by Nacho Cheese! at Oct 8, 2008,
budget?
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Oh forgot that

I can go up to around 2000 or a little more probably. I would prefer to stay in around 1500. It will be a while before I get the money though.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!

Basically what I am looking for is a guitar with 24 frets and a fixed bridge. I was looking at the PGM301 from Ibanez but what ruined it was not having a tone nob which really kills me. I use the tone control all the time when I play so I kinda need it. AND I'd prefer not to have to do any modifications.

I play mostly shred but I play many different styles so I need the guitar to be versatile. Which is one reason I looked at the PGM301 seeing how it has a single coil I can access I figured it could probably reach a pretty good clean tone.

Btw, I don't really have a real broad knowledge with electric guitars(mainly just acoustic guitars, but even that is limited.) SO, any alternatives or advice on certain aspects of the guitar would be nice also.

Hopefully someone can under stand this mess

Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP makes a ton of good 24 fretters...I personally would look into the H-500 as it also can do split single coils, has 24 frets, and is a reasonable price. If you must have Strat style, the MH-1000NT's a good choice too ($750). 1000's have better bridges, binding, and tuners, and the MH comes with a shred friendly JB pickup. Sadly, the high end ESP Horizon models only come with three way pickup switches.

The Ibanez RGA121's ($900) also a solid choice. It has a Prestige neck. You may want to pay for a pickup upgrade.

Finally, there's also Carvin's DC127. You can specify a bridge, and a nice thin 14" radius neck, as well as woods and what have you. It can be quite affordable too.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 8, 2008,
You could check Jackson's USA select models or maybe the ESP Horizon NT-II.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Again budget? Style?

Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP makes a ton of good 24 fretters...I personally would look into the H-500 as it also can do split single coils, has 24 frets, and is a reasonable price. The Ibanez RGA121's also a solid choice.

Style of my playing was already in there and budget I have added.

The ESP looks nice and seems to be a good guitar. I think I will add that to my list of possibilities. Any personal experience with the guitar? Like with the tone and the quality of building.
Quote by HighPotency
You could get a custom carvin for that price. Put everything you want on. In my experience they usually end up ~$1600 USD.

I think I will look into that, I didn't even think about a custom...thank you.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!

The ESP looks nice and seems to be a good guitar. I think I will add that to my list of possibilities. Any personal experience with the guitar? Like with the tone and the quality of building.

Sadly I don't have your budget, but I do own a lower end model (51) of the H series. I tried it against Ibanezes, Epis, and Fenders and chose it since it had a comfortable neck. It was nice, smooth, and bare...Ibanezes are quite slippery and glossy by comparison. Whatever feel works for you. A Jackson DK2M that I tried for kicks felt just as good too...but it's a Floyd Rose and was $600.
The ESP already was well set up (no fret buzz or anything...for a $200 guitar no less. Tuners were superb...better than a Mexican Strat's...I can imagine the Gotohs are even better. Of course, it's best to play any guitar before buying it, but I'd look into ESP guitars as a whole. If you want a thicker neck, look into Schecter guitars too.

And I've edited my first post with some updated info. If you want to shred, look into MHs and the Carvin, which can have a PG-like Reverse headstock for only $20 more. You may also want to look into getting a locking bridge...
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101