Poll: Is Speed Metal a genre?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Speed Metal a genre?
Yes
77 70%
No
33 30%
Voters: 110.
Page 1 of 2
My friend is really getting on my nerves. He insists that speed metal is not a real genre, while I argue that it is. So, do you think that speed metal is a real genre?
i'd say it is
i'm not too knowledgeable about it, but from what i understand its kind of between thrash and power metal (correct me if i'm wrong)
Yes, it is a genre. I've read in the "Complete headbanging history of Heavy Metal" that speed metal includes Metallica's "Kill 'em all" though I disagree. For the most part, speed metal would include Helloween's first LP, or things like Blind Guardian's first two releases. Generally, bands who had a speed metal release would go on to play Power Metal. Then again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Speed Metal is a real genre but I have ye to see a proper listed band.

Agent Metal is an example of Speed Metal.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
of course its a real fuckin genre! punch your friend in the face!

EXCITER

there is a speed metal band!
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Yeah, it's pretty much a predecessor of thrash I think. I don't listen to much thrash or speed, but when I hear speed metal, I usually think either thrash or hard rock.
I don't know. I just call it thrash. I'm not to keen on this whole genre thing though, I keep things simple.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
you're friends an idiot
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Pleasure2kill there is a massive and extremely obvious difference between thrash and speed metal
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

It's not a genre, anyone who says it is must also accept Viking Metal (which has no definable sound), Post-metal (which is either just mislabelled post rock or sludge metal), post-black metal (prog metal with some black influence ala Arcturus), mathcore, pirate metal (see: viking metal) and the likes as legitimate genres.

The problem for speed metal, is that EVERY band that the tag gets applied to could be better described with another genre tag.
^What are you talking about?

If Blind Guardian's first two releases aren't speed metal, I don't know what they are, because they sure as hell aren't thrash nor power
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

judas priests painkiller is a great example of speed metal.

it's a bit different from thrash, a bit different from nwobhm, and a bit different from power metal, but close to all 3...not so much thrash as the other 2 though...in my opinion.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by Kepulix
^What are you talking about?

If Blind Guardian's first two releases aren't speed metal, I don't know what they are, because they sure as hell aren't thrash nor power

They are pretty clearly power metal, slightly thrashy but distinctly power metal nonetheless.

Walls of Jericho, perhaps but it's still functionally power metal.
Well metal is huge theme.
There are sure different styles of metal like BFMV,Trivium,Metallica,Dragonforce,Iron Maiden....
So i truelly think that speed is a genre and i like it
Quote by Celticknife
It's not a genre, anyone who says it is must also accept Viking Metal (which has no definable sound), Post-metal (which is either just mislabelled post rock or sludge metal), post-black metal (prog metal with some black influence ala Arcturus), mathcore, pirate metal (see: viking metal) and the likes as legitimate genres.

The problem for speed metal, is that EVERY band that the tag gets applied to could be better described with another genre tag.

Mate you are a fucking idiot. It is one thing to doubt the existence of it but to state it as fact as if you actually know what you are talking about (when you clearly don't) is just ridiculous.

Speed metal evolved out of NWOBHM, basically playing as fast as they could and sounding pretty much like traditional metal at twice the speed. Look for bands like Raven, Exciter, Abattoir and Acid.

Thrash metal is speed metal crossed with hardcore punk and admittedly, through the developmental stages of thrash (the early to mid 80s) the line between thrash and speed was blurred. Once thrash clearly became a genre in its own right (look to bands like Evildead or Overthrow as definitive thrash bands) there became a clear difference.

We aren't talking about what gets termed speed metal these days, as in that case I would agree with you that most of these bands could be better described with another tag. But you seem to be ignoring that speed metal was one of the foremost genres back then and the music of that era retains its definitive style right up to now and certainly bands like the ones mentioned before could hardly be described as anything other than SPEED METAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by MHDrunk
Mate you are a fucking idiot. It is one thing to doubt the existence of it but to state it as fact as if you actually know what you are talking about (when you clearly don't) is just ridiculous.

Speed metal evolved out of NWOBHM, basically playing as fast as they could and sounding pretty much like traditional metal at twice the speed. Look for bands like Raven, Exciter, Abattoir and Acid.

Thrash metal is speed metal crossed with hardcore punk and admittedly, through the developmental stages of thrash (the early to mid 80s) the line between thrash and speed was blurred. Once thrash clearly became a genre in its own right (look to bands like Evildead or Overthrow as definitive thrash bands) there became a clear difference.

We aren't talking about what gets termed speed metal these days, as in that case I would agree with you that most of these bands could be better described with another tag. But you seem to be ignoring that speed metal was one of the foremost genres back then and the music of that era retains its definitive style right up to now and certainly bands like the ones mentioned before could hardly be described as anything other than SPEED METAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh look some uppity **** who knows nothing about metal comes and insults me for calling bullshit.

Speed metal has NEVER been a genre, it's a tag that gets thrown around in retrospect. I know what you people imply speed metal to be, but in the same vein I don't go around calling Hibria, Slough Feg, Jag Panzer and Persuader "Hard Metal" because they fall between traditional heavy metal and modern power metal.

Distinctions are important in metal yes, which is why we have the main genre tags, if you were using "speed metal" in the same way one would use "depressive black metal", as a sub-genre/further distinction between two bands of the same genre then sure, that is perfectly fine but it is NOT a genre.
Quote by Celticknife
Oh look some uppity **** who knows nothing about metal comes and insults me for calling bullshit.

Speed metal has NEVER been a genre, it's a tag that gets thrown around in retrospect. I know what you people imply speed metal to be, but in the same vein I don't go around calling Hibria, Slough Feg, Jag Panzer and Persuader "Hard Metal" because they fall between traditional heavy metal and modern power metal.

Distinctions are important in metal yes, which is why we have the main genre tags, if you were using "speed metal" in the same way one would use "depressive black metal", as a sub-genre/further distinction between two bands of the same genre then sure, that is perfectly fine but it is NOT a genre.

i know nothing about metal???

the term was around since the NWOBHM so don't try and make yourself look like an old-timer by saying crap like 'thrown around in retrospect'.

all you did was make a ridiculous point like that, then reiterate your other posts... no point continuing this. you made yourself look like an idiot in the opening line of that post and you've already had you're argument destroyed

ROFL:you look like a typical indie kid latching onto a new craze (this week its metal), proven by the shit bands dominating your playlist. you're here trying to say that you're the metal elitist? man go back to whatever you listened to (Muse) before pretending to be a metalhead.... the throne here is mine

Quote by Celticknife
They are pretty clearly power metal, slightly thrashy but distinctly power metal nonetheless.

Walls of Jericho, perhaps but it's still functionally power metal.

No. Helloween aren't power metal in walls of jericho. do they sound anything like "keeper of the seven keys" there? not really, except for the fact that they have fast tempo songs with distorted guitars and some harmonies and melodies. Wow. You've basically got the whole extreme metal genre in there. Nice going, "elitist". How about OPEN YOUR F*CKING MIND!

As many have said... Speed Metal is a real genre because it has a definable sound and characteristics. Theres a huge difference between Speed Metal and Power Metal. Theres also a fairly sizable difference between Speed Metal and Thrash Metal (although IMO at its heart, these two are closer than Speed Metal and Power Metal). Real thrashy albums are ones like Darkness Descends, Pleasure to Kill, and Schizophrenia. Real Power metally albums are ones like Keeper of the Seven Keys II, Land of the Free, and Imaginations From the Other Side.
Heres a definition by wikipedia on Speed Metal... a subgenre under the heavy-metal main genre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_metal

Famous Speed Metal bands are:

Exciter
Acid
Venom
Agent Steel
Cacophony
Iron Angel
Powermad
Savage Grace
Helloween's "Walls of Jericho" release
Judas Priest's "Ram It Down" and "Painkiller" releases

Also, several bands took the sounds they heard from most early thrash releases (Kill 'Em All, Show No Mercy, Feel the Fire, etc) which were largely speed metal albums with some thrashy influences and made that sound their own... bands like Whiplash, Hirax, and Razor took that early speed metal with thrashy influences sound and produced their own thrash/speed albums with it.

So yes, Speed metal is a genre. Above is your proof, if people can't see the difference between releases by these bands and other metal genres then they are either deaf or completely ignorant.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Savage Grace fit pretty snugly into power metal haha

*listens to Savage Grace*

damnit.

ok well, the rest is legit. stupid wikipedia giving me savage grace as a link. I bet they at least had a few songs that were more speed metal.

Anyway yah I don't have too many Speed Metal albums, but at least i know its its own subgenre of metal...

oh and Celticknife to say that Speed Metal is equal in legitimacy as a subgenre as "depressing black metal" is retarded. Black Metal is a subgenre, and "depressing black metal" is therefore not a subgenre but more a description of a specific stylizing of the black metal subgenre sound to emote depression (which is subjective because anything only affects you however you allow it to). Speed Metal, just like Black Metal, like Thrash Metal, like Death Metal, like Doom Metal, has certain common characteristics that are shared between bands that play that type of metal and can be distinguished between that and other subgenres of metal. The only way people don't distinguish speed metal from other sub-genres (i.e. power metal and thrash metal) is when people don't listen to enough music from all three sub-genres and claim that two of them, or all three of them, sound similar enough to just lump them together.

Thats like lumping Triple Chocolate Ice Cream together with Rocky Road cause they both have Chocolate.... not gonna work.

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

its like calling pizza and pasta and lasagne all the same

Quote by MHDrunk
its like calling pizza and pasta and lasagne all the same

now you're just making me hungry.

lasagnahut! hahahahaha.

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

i met a guy once called lazza and asked him if he liked lasagne. he didnt get it but after 30 seconds or so he did and took offence for some reason

anyway back on topic im still waiting for celticknife to respond about what genre other than speed metal he can fit Exciter into

Your friend is a fukking idiot. Punch him in the face.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by MHDrunk
i met a guy once called lazza and asked him if he liked lasagne. he didnt get it but after 30 seconds or so he did and took offence for some reason

anyway back on topic im still waiting for celticknife to respond about what genre other than speed metal he can fit Exciter into

I'm also excited. I also like that he said Viking Metal isn't a real sub-genre of Metal.
I wouldn't really call Viking Metal a sub-genre either... I can't think of any band that would be pure viking metal and couldn't be thrown into any other genre

Speed metal on the other hand, is definitely a legit sub-genre

and for someone who actually listens to Blind Guardian, I don't really see how you (Celticknife) think that the first 2 records of theirs are power metal

with Tales From The Twilight World they started to go for more power metal sound, without leaving the speed metal influence behind however
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yeah, you're right. The thing about Viking Metal, is that half the bands are either part Folk Metal, or Melodic Death Metal, with Viking themes on either side.
Stratovarious
Racer x
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by brentondig
I'm also excited. I also like that he said Viking Metal isn't a real sub-genre of Metal.

Quote by Kepulix
I wouldn't really call Viking Metal a sub-genre either... I can't think of any band that would be pure viking metal and couldn't be thrown into any other genre

Quote by brentondig
Yeah, you're right.

That's right, stick to your guns!

Yes, speed metal is a subgenre, but is not nearly as common as it is often perceived to be, which I guess comes from the confusion between thrash and speed.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Celticknife

Mathcore is real, as real as your ignorance.
Isn't speed metal really fast traditional metal?

That would kinda make it a subgenre of traditional metal, wouldn't it?
^^its usually more classically influenced then Traditional metal or a lot of other sub-genres of metal, as Speed Metal basically evolved out of Deep Purple and Guitarist Richard Blackmore's incredible and definitive sounding guitar playing (which usually incorporated a lot of classically-influenced licks and soloing).

^and mortis speed metal is a genre, it often gets blurred with power metal and thrash metal but its a subgenre of heavy metal music in itself.

Quote by The Virtuoso

Quote by saphrax

Last edited by bootyguard at Oct 9, 2008,
Page 1 of 2