hey,

I've beedn playin for 2 years so how good should i be. Could some1 name some songs i should be able to play by now? I know every1 learns at their own pace but tell me what kind of songs a 2 year guitar player should be a ble to play. I've seen heaps, and i MEAN heaps, of people who have been playing for only a year (sometimes only 7 months), and they play 4 or 5 times better than I can. Maybe its coz they hav a teacher but i doubt that. Also could you tell me what i should be trying to learn? just pretend i'm a beginner and suggest where i should start plz.

thnx
Last edited by Aisten at Oct 8, 2008,
everyones different. theres not a "level" of guitar playing you should be at. it depends on how much practice and time you put into it. you could play every other week for a 2 years or everyday for 2 years. if youre really that worried about being an amazing guitar player or w.e then you're not playing for the right reasons.
I play for fun. I just want to get good so that i can play the songs i like. The songs i like are susposed to be hard to play so thats the reason i'm asking if any1 else is wondering.
ok well if youre a 2 year player then you should at least know your scales and shit i guess. and basic songs should be easy as pie, but if you know your scales well enough, you can play anything with enough practice.
metelica, slipknot and through the fire and flames and others. I can't play metallica and slipkot very well so i'm asking where i should be at coz i'm thinking after playing two years at roughly 8-12 hours a week maybe i learning the wrong things or sumthing.
Hey Gabe u got any advice on learning scales? Coz i hav no idea what they are althoguh i hear people keep saying scales on guitar sites. Also how do practice scales?
If you DO decide to practise scales (which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing for everyone) then practise with a metronome at very slow speeds.
I'd suggest going the Advanced Techniques forum and finding a post by Freepower just so you could check out his sig.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
You should be able to play loads of Metallica if thats what you want to do. They have fast riffing but easy chords.
Try learning "fade to Black" It has lots of parts that will help you with other songs and most of it is not too fast.
Or if you like the new album try "The day that never comes"
The intro part is a nice little exercise in itself and the first half is not that fast, has nice clean chords, a simple lead melody line and a catchy powerchord type chorus.

Also dont try learning the songs at full speed.
Practice each part individually to a metronome then start to put them together as you can play them at or near full speed.
Lets see, by the time 2 years passed, I was able to play mostly all the classic rock cover tunes.

Hey Joe
Black Dog
Stairway to Heaven
Sunshine of Your Love
Dream On
Back in Black

I was also doing open jams by then doing a lot of blues pentatonics.

Also, at two years playing, I was starting to recognize the importance of basic music theory like intervals.... what makes a major, minor, dominant, augmented and diminished.

Si if you can do classic rock cover tunes, solo in I-IV-V progression, and understand intervals.. you should be in good shape.
Quote by Aisten
hey,

I've beedn playin for 2 years so how good should i be. Could some1 name some songs i should be able to play by now? I know every1 learns at their own pace but tell me what kind of songs a 2 year guitar player should be a ble to play. I've seen heaps, and i MEAN heaps, of people who have been playing for only a year (sometimes only 7 months), and they play 4 or 5 times better than I can. Maybe its coz they hav a teacher but i doubt that. Also could you tell me what i should be trying to learn? just pretend i'm a beginner and suggest where i should start plz.

thnx

Did you get into playing guitar because you like music and wanted to play it, or did you get into to prove something?

ask yourself this. Do you enjoy playing your guitar? Do you want to play?

if the answer is yes, then my answer is that you are as good as you should be right now, and that you will continue to get better. Thats all that matters.
shred is gaudy music