Hey guys. Here's the deal: My sister has a Squier Bullet Strat that I could probably get from her, considering she never plays. Would it be worth it to put a P-90, change the tuning machines, and put on a new paint job? I think it would be one heck of a project to try, and maybe in the end it'll come out sounding 10x better than it does now.

What do you guys think? Worth doing? Any other suggestions for what I can do to it (or other pickups I should check out)? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Sounds good! do it!
Yamaha Pacifica 012 W/Emg 81
ESP EC400
ESP H202
Squier Tele Standard
Strat Copy
Randall RG100SC
Boss MT2
Boss TU2
Sounds like a good time, as in good for the experience of actually doing those mods. Learning to do a great refinish and solder up a P-90 would be good experience.
Quote by lumberjack
Sounds like a good time, as in good for the experience of actually doing those mods. Learning to do a great refinish and solder up a P-90 would be good experience.

That's what I was thinking. I've never done anything like this before by myself, so I thought it would be interesting.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
I actually just did the same thing with a bullet I got from my sister. I installed new tuners, new nut, new electronics and new Tex Mex strat pickups.

I also repainted the body and refinished the neck with Tung Oil. I feel that it was an experience worth the money. I'm not sure if it sounds any better because I never heard it before the changes, but I would recommend doing it just for the experience.
Quote by jroose9
I actually just did the same thing with a bullet I got from my sister. I installed new tuners, new nut, new electronics and new Tex Mex strat pickups.

I also repainted the body and refinished the neck with Tung Oil. I feel that it was an experience worth the money. I'm not sure if it sounds any better because I never heard it before the changes, but I would recommend doing it just for the experience.

Does it sound good right now though?
Quote by Telecaster7
get one of the p-90's from GFS, they're way cheaper than normal ones

Would the soapbar version fit in the humbucker spot that's in the guitar already, or would I have to make the hole where the humbucker fits a bit bigger?
Quote by Telecaster7
i reckon it'd fit, i think p-90's might be a tad smaller then a h/bucker anyway (but i honestly have no idea)

Awesome, thanks!!
P-90s are slightly smaller than humbuckers. Seymour Duncan makes a pickup called a P-Rail that can function as a P-90 or a humbucker and fits into a humbucker rout. There are also humbucker-sized P-90s that would work.

I don't know about the whole upgrading a cheap guitar deal. I can't seem to find anything that is better to work with than a guitar that is made well.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GNRjungle87
Does it sound good right now though?

It's hard to tell, I need to buy a new Amp right now. I think it sounds decent.
why not install a floyd? its a good project and will make the guitar actually FUN to play!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Frickin go for it. Change out the pickups and pots and tuners and everything to what you want. Relicing it would be cool too.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by f22master
why not install a floyd? its a good project and will make the guitar actually FUN to play!

Nahh, I've got my ESP with a Floyd, I don't need another guitar with a Floyd lol.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
is it already got a trem or is it a hardtail?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
what about a schaller?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Wow, send me some PMs to let me know how you're doing-I'm doing a project on a Squier strat as well (not bullet). Sont want to distract from the main conversation, but what's the difference between bullet and Standard (Chinese) Strat?
I didn't think P90s did fit in a humbucker route? I thought that they were smaller in width but longer in length compared to humbucker.
And for everything else, go for nice locking/ good quality tuners, get some nice pickups to suit your likings, get a nice bridge, Gotoh, Schaller, Fender, Wilkinson etc. A good Graph - Tec/ Graphite nut.
Good Luck!