New to vinyl, and I got a record player setup with 2 speeds, 45 and 33. I have just some standard records(33 1/3), which I assume uses the 33 speed, but the records really drag. Anybody know the problem?

My first thought was the newer ones I have weigh too much and are weighing the tt down, but I even tried the older thinner seeming ones and they all work besides the James Gang one.

Lateralus
We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
13th Step
James Gang.....

don't work.

The rest that are the same(33 1/3) work.
You should complain.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
You should complain.

About the records?

The record player is a loner from a buddy. Could it possibly need some maintenance?

Am I better off gettin a new one?
Quote by MAYNARD
About the records?

The record player is a loner from a buddy. Could it possibly need some maintenance?

Am I better off gettin a new one?

I was trying to make a joke

It is only those records that drag? There may be an excess of dust on the grooves that prevents clean needle movement. Also, have you tried adjusting/replacing the needles?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I was trying to make a joke

It is only those records that drag? There may be an excess of dust on the grooves that prevents clean needle movement. Also, have you tried adjusting/replacing the needles?

3 of the records are virtually brand new, and if the needle was bad, wouldn't it effect all the records?
Quote by MAYNARD
3 of the records are virtually brand new, and if the needle was bad, wouldn't it effect all the records?

True.

I have really no idea what I'm talking about. My parents gave me about 1500 albums of various artists, and I've had them digitally converted by a company into music files.

That being said, I don't listen to vinyl because digital format is clearer, and closer to the original. that being said, to each his own.

I just used "The being said" twice in the same paragraph.
maybe the counterweight on the other end of the needle arm is pushing the needle down so much it's slowing down the record itself.

also, check the drive system (most records use a belt drive system) and make sure there's nothing obstructing it.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
If it's just those albums, double check to make sure that they're definitely 33s. The new Radiohead album comes as two 12" 45s.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
If it's just those albums, double check to make sure that they're definitely 33s. The new Radiohead album comes as two 12" 45s.

I switch to the 45 speed, and they are too fast. I guess, maybe the timing needs adjusted, somehow.