Poll: Which amp should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I buy?
Bugera 333
0 0%
Bugera 333XL
1 17%
Bugera 6260
0 0%
Bugera 6262
3 50%
Peavey VK 100
0 0%
B-52 AT-100
2 33%
Randall RX120DHS (the amp I have now)
0 0%
Voters: 6.
Hey, right now I have a Randall RX120DHS (it's a solid state half stack) and I want to upgrade to an entry level tube half stack. I'm not buying used and I'm not getting a combo. I play a lot of thrash and death metal (Death, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Obituary, Pestilence, etc.)... So which of the following cheaper tube amp half stacks would be best (or should I stick with my solid state Randall? Thanks all!
do you really need the half stack?

Randall RG50TC would be perfect

that or a 5150
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
What's wrong with the amp you have now? Why not used? You can buy gear that's atleast 50% cheaper if it's used.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
+1

thats what I meant haha
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Hey everyone, I know used gear is the exact same and you can get way more for your money, but I don't like used stuff (yes it's stupid but I can't help it) and I'm not going to argue. And I have a half stack now and I'm not downgrading in volume to a combo. I'm not playing shows but I do crank the volume up and play loud at my house.
Oh, and nothing is wrong with my current amp, I just really like the way tube amps sound and I want to upgrade.
Quote by kirkhammett09
Hey everyone, I know used gear is the exact same and you can get way more for your money, but I don't like used stuff (yes it's stupid but I can't help it) and I'm not going to argue. And I have a half stack now and I'm not downgrading in volume to a combo. I'm not playing shows but I do crank the volume up and play loud at my house.

Kinda pointless, isn't it?

You know, you can crank a combo just as loud.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Kinda pointless, isn't it?

You know, you can crank a combo just as loud.

meh, I said I didn't want a combo or used gear in my first post so I could avoid this discussion lol... oh well ... anyone have any suggestions about which amp I should get
I have a 50w tube combo that is MUCH louder than my friends SS stack and it's just as loud as most anything else

having a stack just means your pushing more air and get a bit better bass response it's not actually that much louder
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
A 50watt tube amp could pretty much blow your current amp away as far as volume goes. More speakers does not mean more volume. Not to mention tube amps sound roughly 2.5 times louder than their solid state counterparts.
I just said that...

That just reinforces my point

but AOR's are really loud anyways
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I just said that...

That just reinforces my point

but AOR's are really loud anyways

Don't type so fast next time then. Either way though, you're gonna get a higher quality amp if you go with a combo, what's your price range TS?
out of those, the 6262. 6505+ clone.
Other than that, a Rg50tc or a 5150.
And you are a fool for not even considering combos.
no you need to type faster
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Kevin Saale
Don't type so fast next time then. Either way though, you're gonna get a higher quality amp if you go with a combo, what's your price range TS?

around $500 ... $600 max.... and I appreciate your help and know all of you are right but I'm not going to get a combo so please only suggest heads or pick the best one for me that i listed... not being a dick, I know all of u are right but I really just want a new all tube head
Do you want to look cool? Please be honest, I'm not making fun of you. There are plenty of times where a half stck IS better. BUT, with they shitty cabs you will be getting at that price, not to mention the fact that for 600, you might get a better sounding amp in combo for, there is no reason to eliminate combos.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Do you want to look cool? Please be honest, I'm not making fun of you. There are plenty of times where a half stck IS better. BUT, with they shitty cabs you will be getting at that price, not to mention the fact that for 600, you might get a better sounding amp in combo for, there is no reason to eliminate combos.

Agreed. With that range I'm assuming you're keeping the randall cab? Don't, sell it along with the head and add that to your fund, you could a afford a pretty damn nice amp then.
Quote by mcrfobtai

I dunno, I guess that's part of it... I have a cab already, I'm just getting a new head (I might switch the cabs later)... Or I could mix and match the head and cab.... I'm definitely getting a head though, not a combo... I R stubborn lol
+1 Felix.

being stuborn isn't always good.

man, thats just stupid just listen you come for help we are helping you it's for your own good listen and you'll be much happier down the road
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by kirkhammett09
around $500 ... $600 max.... and I appreciate your help and know all of you are right but I'm not going to get a combo so please only suggest heads or pick the best one for me that i listed... not being a dick, I know all of u are right but I really just want a new all tube head

If we're all right, and we're all suggesting combos, why aren't you getting a combo? I would suggest selling the Randall half stack and using the $600 in conjunction with that so you have a bigger budget, and you'll be able to get a really good tube combo with the money combined.

Do you just want the half stack to look cool? Because, believe it or not, more people at shows listen to the music than look at gear...and considering you don't play out at all, what's the sense in looking cool? So you can tell people you have a big amp, that doesn't sound as good as their small combos?

Just saying, it's DEFINITELY worth it to drop the whole half stack idea, because the half stack won't SOUND as good as a higher end combo will. PLEASE consider everything that everyone has suggested, because believe it or not it's great advice.
ok ok ok.... 1 question though... Do all of you think the tube heads I listed in the poll are all better then my Randall solid state tube head? are they all an improvement for a good death metal tone
well if you're playing death metal maybe you should just keep the randall for the gain
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
well if you're playing death metal maybe you should just keep the randall for the gain

Agreed, although you can get a good metal sound out of the Valveking + a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey.
Quote by Bostonrocks

really? I'm not into modern death metal (too much gain/scooped mids/over produced crap)... I'm into older death metal and thrash..... You don't think the amps I'm looking at are an upgrade tone-wise?
Quote by kirkhammett09
really? I'm not into modern death metal (too much gain/scooped mids/over produced crap)... I'm into older death metal and thrash..... You don't think the amps I'm looking at are an upgrade tone-wise?

One word.

COMBO.
for like metallicaish stuff get the randall I was talking about
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Dude, seriously listen to what everyone's saying. On your last thread I posted a CL link to a Mesa Dual Rectifier for $1200. If you could sell your current head and cab, you'll have enough for that and it'd be great for what you want.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales