Well, I'm looking at a Crate FlexWave Series FW120 120W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp and possibly a new S Series Ibanez.

The Amp: Crate

The Guitar: Ibanez

Now, obviously, the amp is going to come first. I have a budget of about 700 US Dollars.

I would LOVE recomendations for new amps that I should try that I might like.

Genres I'm into: Shred, Alternative, Progressive, Experimental, Rock, and Blues-y style rock.

I prefer an overdrive or a light, warm distortion.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 8, 2008,
wait is your $700 just the amp or both? Also what is the main style you'll be playing?
Possibly a Marshall DSL?

Or maybe a Ceriatone marshall clone and an OD.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Guitars are hot. But you can get a better amp for the money IMO.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
i have the older GTD65 and it kiks ass! the only thing different between it and the new flexwaves it cosmetics(and their 2x the price!)
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
If I were you, on that budget, I would look into Line 6 amps. I think you will get a lot more bang for your buck. Definitely more versatile, but more so, I think you'll be more pleased with the tone. If you're a fan of Crate, why not step up to the world of tube amps and get one of the V Series amps? I know a guy (Rick, the lead guitarist for Ashmore), he plays one of these for a lot of gigs, and it sounds fantastic.

I think you're probably getting over excited about 120 watts, but I swear you don't need that much for anything you're doing. Those amps don't sound that good cranked up, anyway (which is why I suggested Line 6 - cuz, they do sound good cranked). High powered amps are nothing without tone! However, if you're convinced you need all that wattage, look into the Line 6 Spider III 212 (120 watts - 60watts x 2).

Look into the Crate V33-212 . It's an all tube, class a amplifier, and sounds damn warm. Also, it works well drive pedals up front.
Yeah, I figured I could get a much better amp...I don't have a big selection at my music store though.

Quote by forsaknazrael
You've got a fairly broad range of tones named in your post. What guitarists would you like to sound similar to? I'm trying to narrow the range of amps to recommend you by going off your tonal preferences.

Somewhere in the tonal range of Steve Vai, Satch, Yngwie, or even MAB.

The budget I stated was for the amp. So, about $700 for the guitar, and preferably $600 for the amp or vice versa.

Total budget: Anywhere from $800-$1400 is probably going to be best.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hm. Well. You'll be hard pressed to really nail their tones in that price range, I'll be honest.

I figured I would be.

Now, I'll be honest...I just want to get a fair tone and get away from this peice of junk MG I've got.

Theres a Randall at my local music store for about $500 that sounds awsome. The only bad thing is, it's a little big for me. I'm not in a band yet but, it's hard to practice when your worrying about tone more than your playing itself.

Like I said, I just want something around...a 50-75W combo amp. (Yes, I know that Crate was 120)

I think this is the Randall my music store has: Here
Quote by The.new.guy
I figured I would be.

Now, I'll be honest...I just want to get a fair tone and get away from this peice of junk MG I've got.

Theres a Randall at my local music store for about $500 that sounds awsome. The only bad thing is, it's a little big for me. I'm not in a band yet but, it's hard to practice when your worrying about tone more than your playing itself.

Like I said, I just want something around...a 50-75W combo amp. (Yes, I know that Crate was 120)

I think this is the Randall my music store has: Here

If it's a Randall RG50TC, it's good for metal, hard rock, and alternative.
Is it going to be used for practice at home, or on a studio, or gig?

If its for a studio, or gigging, the best amp by far is the Bugera 333xl combo. It sounds like a 2000 dollar amp. If you dont believe me check out the reviews. They all say it sounds beyond the PEavey JSX, XXX, 5150. Some guy compared it to a triple recto, and called it a close call. In another review an owner of two engl amps (IMO the best in the world) said it sounded better than one of his two ENGL amps.

The bugera is a lil bit pushing your budget, but its seriously worth it.

If it is for home practice however, I say for a modelling amp. A modelling amp is much better for learning and practicing than even the best tube amps. They allow you to experiment so much more. Trust me on that one.
Hey, new guy. After hearing what sound you're going for...I'll stand by the Line 6 Spider III 212! You could get a POD and run into the Crate V, but you're gonna run out of budget for your guitar. Unless..Did you ever answer the question... Is $750 just for amp budget or both?

Cuz, if you can spend $750 on an amp, I've got a much better suggestion for you... The Line 6 Spider Valve 112 ($699 on Musicians Friend). This thing is a tube/solid state hybrid designed by Bogner (one the most high-end boutique amps you can buy). It's got power amp tubes and pre amp tubes, and a full array of modeling effects. What this means is that you'll be to get extremely close to the Vai, Satch, Malmstein sounds, as well as many others. All the while, keeping the warmth intact at high volumes (because of the tubes).

I'm not a Line 6 rep or anything. But, I've had played through 'em quite a bit. I have a '57 Strat (my main axe) and three high-end tube amps... An Orange Thunderverb, an Eggnater Tourmaster 4100, and a Fender Reissue '57 Twin. I've been playing for a long, long time and have tried just about everything there is, and that's probably what I'd get with that budget.
If you can find a carvin x100b or x60b head or any of the combo's they are great! You can get them pretty cheap on ebay and you can change the wattage for lower bedroom volume. There are also Mesa/boogie's that go for cheap on ebay, any of the DC- models are a steal for under $500, and from my research they are very versatile.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Ok, one final thought for you here. Don't get caught up in the "low-end name brand pitfall". For example... you mentioned Malmstein, right. Well, Yngwie uses signature model Fender Strats, and Vintage Marshalls (a few different models). So, you think, "I'll buy a Strat and a Marshall and sound like Yngwie!" But... you're on a tight budget and all you can afford is a Mexican Strat and Marshall solid state (MG or whatever). Well, you'll sound nothing like YM this way... First of all, he doesn't even use his own signature models actually. His models are just like those, but custom made in the Fender Custom Shop...and then, even more customized and maintained nightly by his guitar tech. He gets a new set of strings every couple of performances, and if something doesn't sound quite right to him, it gets immediately, professionally repaired. Same goes for his amps...they aren't anything you could buy right off the shelves. They're actual vintage and he's had them for a long time. But...his tech's got a cabinet full of top of the line tubes, and all the tools and knowledge to keep 'em sounding amazing all the time. Even if you saved up to buy his exact gear, it would cost a fortune to maintain it the way he does. This scenario goes for any top pro guitarist. It's a large part of the reason they always sound as good as they do.

All this leads to this point... go to music stores and try as many things as you can. With guitars, it's not so much about the brand as it is about the way the guitar feels when you play it. All of this, "this brand is good for this, and that brand is good for that", is mostly a load of horse shit. If it feels good to you, and you can play the way you want on the thing, then it's the right guitar for you. What it sounds like, has a lot more to do with what pickups are in the thing. And changing pickups isn't really that expensive (not compared to most gear anyway). If you want to sound metal, bluesy, clean, crunchy, punk, whatever...there are pickups that will allow you to achieve that. Hell, one of my guitars is, in fact, a Mexican Strat...the stock pickups sounded shitty through my expensive tube amps, but it plays like butter. So, I dropped some new pickups in and now it sounds truly beautiful. I've had that thing forever, and I'll never get rid of it...it's a jewel.

Now amps are different. Certain brands of bands are definitely better for specific music genres. With one exeption...modeling amps. A good modeling amp can be tweaked to sound right for pretty much any musical situation. The downfall...they are typically solid-state and just don't hold their tone at high volumes. (which, if you plan on getting a band together at some point, you're gonna have to play at high volume to get over the damn drummer... also, to be heard over the low din of a crowd...that's a fact) So, you might as well get an amp that works in that situation now.

You can go the all tube amp route for this, and you don't even have to have high wattage. My '57 Twin is only 40 watts, but it's loud as shit and sounds most amazing at high volumes...but it cost $2000, and doesn't really sound great until you get it above 4 or so. The Orange has a built in attenuator (keeps the voltage down even on 10), so it sounds great at all volumes (a totally different tone the '57)...but... it was $2200 and is just a head, so it needs a great cabinet to sound great. Same with the Egnater...it's got ridiculous power options (10-100 watts on 4 different channels). Making it ridiculously versaile. I've been using it in the studio...it's awesome and versatile. But again...it's a $1500 head and needs my $700 cabinet to sound great. Also, I can make these amps sound like whatever (especially the Egnater), but I need a lot of effects to do it... you guessed it... more $$$!

All of this leads me to this point regarding amps... on your budget, you'll be a lot better off, and become a much better player, much quicker, with a modeling amp. Which is why I heavily reccommend that Line 6 Spide Valve 112. It's 40 watts, has 2 12ax7 preamp tubes (used in many expensive amps), 2 6LC tubes in the power amp (designed by freakin' Bogner), a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker (the most commonly used by pros and found in Marshall's classic 1960 cabs amongst others), has built-in Line 6 amp modeling (they are the premier amp modeling co...think POD), and whatever built-in effect you might need (no, they won't all be studio quality effects, but you'll be able to tweak 'em to sound pretty good, I'm sure). I sound like a damn commercial, but this is seriously something you need to look into. The other options are just too damn complicated, and you'll need to add too many expensive effects to sound like you're trying to. In your budget is Fender Blues Jr.s, Hot Rods and Champs, Peavey Valve King, B-52, Brugera (I don't know where you'll find one to try though), Crate V Series, and probably a couple of others.

So, there you go, I just spent 20 minutes typing this shit out for you. I just know what it's like trying to find the right gear. And, what it's like to buy shit that never sounds as good as you hope. I hope I can help you from making the same mistakes me, and countless others have made.

Btw, I am a pro guitar player who has played in a TON of different situations (small clubs to huge venues). I've been playing for 25 years (no, I'm not 80...I'm in my mid 30's). I'm a gear geek and I know what the hell I'm talking about... all this shit came from my brain with the exception of a look at Musicians Friend to get those specs for you.

Good Luck
I agree with almost everything the guy above me has said with one exception. You gotta look at modelers, and good ones, but the SS Spider isn't a good modeler. The Spider Valves are good, but they're probably a bit out of your budget. Here are some examples of good modelling amps.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615 Probably my favourite modeler.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912 It's more expensive and I got no experience with it, but everyone who has played one says they're good. Plus it's tube.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910 SS version of the previous amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales