I have a 5 watt tube amp, but most of my playing is at home in my bedroom. It annoys the parents and my sister when I crank it (i guess I can understand that) but I don't get that awesome tube overdrive if I have it at 2.5. I turn up the gain on my distortion pedal to try to get the same sound, but its just not the same. I want to make a very low wattage tube amp that I can crank and not have it get too loud. I was thinking .5-1 watt (.5 watts is half as loud as 5 watts right?).

I have never built an amp, but I'm fairly handy with tools and such. I have seen kits online, but I almost want to do it from scratch as long as I'm doing it, if that would mean that its cheaper. Would I save money by making my own cabinet and buying all the parts individually? Any clue how expensive this would be?

How big do I need to make the cabinet? Would plywood make an ok cabinet, or would I have to reinforce it with something?

How do I choose how big of a speaker to get?

Thanks
i can only help you with the speaker selection. you need two of em mounted on these things called headphones that mount directly to your head ironically enough and only the wearer can hear it. works like magic.
if you like the tone of this amp when cranked, try modifying the power supply.

This will limit the output power but you will still drive the output stage into distortion.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
i can only help you with the speaker selection. you need two of em mounted on these things called headphones that mount directly to your head ironically enough and only the wearer can hear it. works like magic.

My amp has no headphone jack. Headphones are uncomfortable anyway, you have no freedom to move. Its like you're tied to the amp.
1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter. Like $2 at walmart.

Get wireless ones, if you must.

Also, trust SomeoneYouKnew when it comes to electronics, he know his shit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Buy an Attenuator for it. It will let you crank it all the way and get the distortion you want at any sound level. It will also be cheaper than building/buying a second amp. They run about $45-70

Tube amps (even the so called easy kits) require lots of research and a fair amount good quality of tools to build (don't ever try to build one with a $5 soldering iron). I have built 4 from scratch so far, and have learned a couple lessons the hard way. Like filter caps hold power for more than just an hour....lol. Also tube amps contain lethal voltages, and required a fair amount of time and patience to build.

Not trying to discourage you, but just letting you know what is involved with one. The first time I attemped one I half-a$$'d it and just wound up with a $200 paper weight. Also the cabinet is a different story, you must have a jig and a router to build one.

If you are still interested in building one, AX84.com is a great resource, and any book by Gerald Weber. Also Mouser Electronics sells parts wholesale, even in small quanties at very resonable prices. If you have any questions about building one feel free to hit me up.
Quote by greekorican5
My amp has no headphone jack. Headphones are uncomfortable anyway, you have no freedom to move. Its like you're tied to the amp.

decent headphones have a longer lead than that, and your tied to your amp by your guitar anyway
Well the point of this amp is to find out more about building an amp, not alternatives to building an amp. I think it would be cool and rewarding to build one. Can anybody help?
Quote by greekorican5
Well the point of this amp is to find out more about building an amp, not alternatives to building an amp. I think it would be cool and rewarding to build one. Can anybody help?

Quote by Schwebel
Buy an Attenuator for it. It will let you crank it all the way and get the distortion you want at any sound level. It will also be cheaper than building/buying a second amp. They run about $45-70

Tube amps (even the so called easy kits) require lots of research and a fair amount good quality of tools to build (don't ever try to build one with a $5 soldering iron). I have built 4 from scratch so far, and have learned a couple lessons the hard way. Like filter caps hold power for more than just an hour....lol. Also tube amps contain lethal voltages, and required a fair amount of time and patience to build.

Not trying to discourage you, but just letting you know what is involved with one. The first time I attemped one I half-a$$'d it and just wound up with a $200 paper weight. Also the cabinet is a different story, you must have a jig and a router to build one.

If you are still interested in building one, AX84.com is a great resource, and any book by Gerald Weber. Also Mouser Electronics sells parts wholesale, even in small quanties at very resonable prices. If you have any questions about building one feel free to hit me up.

I definitly have the right tools for it. My dad is a contractor, my garage is absolutely filled with tools.
Go here: http://www.ax84.com/
Read and learn as much as you can. They cover just about everything having to do with tube amps. In order to attain your goal, you require some fundamentals first.