So as some of you have seen I've been in the market for a new rig for a few months. I think I may have come to a final decision to what I want to get but I just wanted a few opinions before a drop a couple grand on this stuff.

I'm looking for a really punchy punk song much like the tone heard in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlLVfyrOcQ . I'm rolling with a Squier VM jazz with a quarter pound in the bridge. I want to pick up a Mesa fathom head and roll it through an ampeg svt 410. I'm also thinking about throwing a sonic maximizer in there.

I'm going to my music store on friday when i get paid and playing the hell out of this stuff before i buy it but I'm curious to see the bass forums thoughts. Thanks guys.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Sounds like a great setup to me. But yes, make sure you play through it before buying to make sure YOU like it.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Really? not feeling the svt? I figure its a somewhat affordable cab that almost every punk band i listen to uses. Any suggestions?
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Why not go all Mesa? And don't they have a Fathom combo?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
They do however it's not available at the music store. Plus I'll probably throw another ampeg cab (maybe a 15?) in there later.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Seriously, get a Mesa cab. They're certainly more expensive, but I gaurantee you'll be much happier you did. For a solid and modular punk rig, the 2x12 and 4x10 would be a significantly more badass setup, but for you I'd probably buy the 4x10 first and get the other cab late on. And it'll sound especially great with the M6 Carbine (or Fathom, or whatever they've got yours branded).
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Are you reffering to the powerhouse cabinets?
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

The powerhouse or vintage powerhouse; they're the same price and same cab with the exception of cosmetics. The Roadready cabs are built into a road case and are very expensive, and they weigh a ton!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Yeah i was looking at a powerhouse 410 too. it looks as if it's built like a tank. I hears it wasn't ideal for punchy punk shit. I'll give it a try though for sure. Thanks!
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by Fender_punk
Yeah i was looking at a powerhouse 410 too. it looks as if it's built like a tank. I hears it wasn't ideal for punchy punk shit. I'll give it a try though for sure. Thanks!

Well technically it shouldn't be a good punk rig, because it's built-to-order "custom" expensive stuff. So philosophically, it's not punk at all. Tonally, just listen to Joe Principe on any Rise Against record, or the guy from Life of Agony. Enough said.

The only Ampeg cab I've ever thought had enough punch was the 8x10. Everything else has ported construction, will NOT punch as hard as you want. They have good power handling and a big low end, but if you want punch from an Ampeg, you'll need the 8x10. Don't compromise with the 6x10 either. It's also ported, and due to it's oddball speaker wiring, it sounds like piss. Trust me, I have owned all three of these cabs in the past. The only reasons I sold the 8x10 were due to a change in musical style, and size restrictions.
And no damn tweeter.

My rig punches like a mofo, and for an SWR with two ported cabs, that's a bit of an achievement. The punch is still there, it just needs to be coaxed out a little differently. What I'd do is focus your EQ a little lower than you would typically to get 'punch'. It'll be there.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm. I Really don't want to carry around a fridge everywhere but im definetly going to check out the mesa cabs. I'm loving the dude from Rise Against's tone and I'm pretty sure he mainly plays a jazz bass with a quarter pound so that's cool. Thanks for the input ladies and gents.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Last edited by Fender_punk at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by Fender_punk
Hmm. I Really don't want to carry around a fridge everywhere but im definetly going to check out the mesa cabs. I'm loving the dude from Rise Against's tone and I'm pretty sure he mainly plays a jazz bass with a quarter pound so that's cool. Thanks for the input ladies and gents.

Not a problem! Although he usually played a '57 P-bass reissue on the records, with a Mesa BB750 and a Roadready 4x12.
UPDATE: I went and bought myself the mesa powerhouse 2x12 cabinet. I havn't been able to play it yet but the mesa website says the cabs 600 watts and the back of mine says 500. I hope this is not the case because the fathom head is 600 watts. Other than that I have a really good feeling about it. Thanks for the advice guys and the rest of my rig is soon to come.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by Fender_punk
UPDATE: I went and bought myself the mesa powerhouse 2x12 cabinet. I havn't been able to play it yet but the mesa website says the cabs 600 watts and the back of mine says 500. I hope this is not the case because the fathom head is 600 watts. Other than that I have a really good feeling about it. Thanks for the advice guys and the rest of my rig is soon to come.

Well, you won't be in trouble will the cabinet until your ears are in trouble. lol