What kind of distortion pedal would get a tone that is good for late-80s grunge/indie/alt rock tone like Mudhoney, early Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Melvins ect... particulary something from BOSS would be nice.
Why Boss? Boss distortion pedals tend to be pretty bad, but their overdrives are decent. What kind of amp are you playing out of? If it's tube, all you'll need is a good overdrive. If it's solid state, you'll need more distortion.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
Quote by thedude97
Why Boss? Boss distortion pedals tend to be pretty bad, but their overdrives are decent. What kind of amp are you playing out of? If it's tube, all you'll need is a good overdrive. If it's solid state, you'll need more distortion.

I dunno because everyone loves BOSS for some reason and my local shop sells a ton of 'em.

I'm useing just a basic tube. But i really would like it to work good with solid state aswell if possible..
Quote by Randy Bobandy
I dunno because everyone loves BOSS for some reason and my local shop sells a ton of 'em.

I'm useing just a basic tube. But i really would like it to work good with solid state aswell if possible..

Boss are just the most popular brand. If you lurk around this forum, you'll find most people with good ears hate their distortion pedals. The MT-2 in particular. For you I recommend an overdrive. That'll really make a tube amp sing. Try the Digitech Bad Monkey, the Boss OD-3, or the Ibanez Tubescreamer. They're all the exact same circuit, so just try them all out.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
never use digitech

boss ds-1 or ds -2

or electroharmonix big muff for sonic youth
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Russian Big Muff, or Digitech Grunge if you can't afford a Muff. Don't get an OD; most grunge and 80s indie bands (Pearl Jam excepted) used distortion, not OD.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Definitely a Big Muff for all those bands you listed.

Ignore eeryone else they are all retards.
Everyone who says "you need an OD n0t distortion distortion rapes the t0nez of your tube amp" doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to grunge and 80s indie. Even if you have a Bogner Shiva with a Fish pre-amp (IMO the ultimate amp), the distortion'll be useless. The amp with grunge distortion on tap hasn't been built.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
if the local store has a boss demo set up. i'd suggest giving them a listen. steer away from anything with metal in the name though... look at the DS-1 and the MD-2. both good pedals where the md2 can be over kill though. i never turn mine up past 1/4 distortion and 1/2 gain (and that's for a more adam jones sorta sound then grunge)
My mate has a digitech grunge.It just seemed rather messy.Rather VERY messy.Everytime he switched it on it just whined.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
A proco rat 2 is something you should definately try, really dirty and really nice. Most of the most famous artists in the genres you mentioned used it as well
Buy a used DS-1 and Mod it or have robert keeley Mod it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.