So my electric guitars frets from the 18'th fret up are kind of 'sticking out' a bit in the middle, causing me to need to raise the action a bit higher than i need too. I was wondering how easy of a job it is to sit the frets back in level? What tools do i need to do that? I assume a simple rubber mallet wont do a good job.

I can post photo's if you guys need it. I don't think its necessary but i can.

If i do need something 'special' to do the job how much do they cost? Bear in mind I'm from Aus.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
You'll need a long radius block with the same radius as your fingerboard, and some really fine sandpaper/wet & dry.. then a fret crowning file.

That's fret levelling.

If the frets are sitting proud of the fingerboard, just bash them in gentle.
Ah. I know there's some fret wear and it could do with a good level. I'm just looking to get the frets back into place, heh.

I dont have a rubber mallet. Would a normal hammer with a towel wrapped completely around it do?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Ah. I know there's some fret wear and it could do with a good level. I'm just looking to get the frets back into place, heh.

I dont have a rubber mallet. Would a normal hammer with a towel wrapped completely around it do?

You'll need something a bit harder than a towel. Use a block of wood, that way it'll actually transfer enough energy to your frets to knock them in, but the wood will get damaged.

Edit: There's a chance that the fret will pop out again though.. If you want a decent fix, you'll pull the fret, put a new fret in with a tiny bit of epoxy/superglue, then level and dress them all.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Oct 9, 2008,
if the fret is popped, use some really thin superglue... like Zap CA (the pink bottle)... that stuff is like water. dab some on either side of the fret (you can see it spread inside the slot) then use a plastic faced hammer and tap them back into place and place a clamping caul over the fret and clamp it for like 5 minutes.

wait... you mean to say you have 4 frets popping up?

<.<

>.>

what the hell did you do to your guitar dude?

post pics >.<
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I imagine its a combination of the hot and cold climate of australia where it goes from 5 degrees to 45 degrees Centigrade throughout the year and the fact that the guitar isn't that great.

The frets aren't popping out a hell of a lot, but i can get my thumb nail under the frets in question, where as the other frets seem fairly flat.

My guitar's due for a string change so I'll change them out today and take some photos while there's no strings in the way.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Ok. I have pics. They were taken on my camera phone so quality isn't the best but i hope you guys can see what I'm talking about.

For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Those are from your phone?? Wow man.

Also yeah. Stew mac sells a thing called a fretting hammer, but I would just do what Minty said.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.