Hey,

I'm having trouble understanding a lesson i've just read, and maybe some of you guys can help. The diagram below shows what I believe to be the fingering for the Major Pentatonic scale?? I don't understand the o's, or where to begin the scale and where it ends. It just looks like a lot of notes on a fretboard with no direction...?

any help? cheers

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
I see, so the diagram is of the minor pentatonic in F??

thanks

Quote by zimmzimmer
The 'O's are just the scale pattern. you can move that up and down the fret board. just the from the bottom 'E' string up so ure starting on the bottom left corner and workin across. then doin the same on the 2nd line etc. then usually if ure practicin scales, you'll go back down agen
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
you can pretty much start it anywhere, but depending where you start it, you will be in a different key. Don't worry about that right now. It's important to get the technique and pattern down. Like you said, play the notes that have an O on them. If you started on the 5th fret (the most widely used version of pentatonic) it should look like this in tablature form

e 5 8
B 5 7
G 5 7
D 5 7
A 5 7
E 5 8

sorry, I'm not good at writing this stuff. Good luck and keep working.
Quote by hellrazzer24
you can pretty much start it anywhere, but depending where you start it, you will be in a different key. Don't worry about that right now. It's important to get the technique and pattern down. Like you said, play the notes that have an O on them. If you started on the 5th fret (the most widely used version of pentatonic) it should look like this in tablature form

e 5 8
B 5 7
G 5 7
D 5 7
A 5 7
E 5 8

sorry, I'm not good at writing this stuff. Good luck and keep working.

Hey that actually makes sense! cheers man big help

Quote by zimmzimmer
just one more question. the key I'm playing in is determined by the first note I play in the scale?? or am I way off?

Quote by zimmzimmer
My teacher went over the minor Pentatonic scales long before majors so I am thinking it is ok to learn them as minor first. What you have there is the home position, or what is known as the basic blues scale which is starting on the F, which makes it the Fm pentatonic. You can move that pattern anywhere up the E string but it then changes the key. The pentatonic scale is the notes in that key without the 2nd or the 6th of the root note. There are 5 pentatonic patterns to stay in the same root pentatonic which are really good to learn.

Example, Am pent scale.

A - C - D - E - G

e 5 8
B 5 8
G 5 7
D 5 7
A 5 7
E 5 8

You can then start the Am pent scale on the 8th fret C, then you must play C - D - E - G - A.

e 8 10
B 8 10
G 7 9
D 7 10
A 7 10
E 8 10
Last edited by ominous24 at Oct 9, 2008,
The O's are where the root note lies in the scale, in this case the Root is F.
The o's are the remaining 4 notes which make up the Pentatonic scale.

"Pente" is Greek for "Five", hence this scale has five notes.

Post #8 ftw. Do take note of that.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 9, 2008,