Hi people.
On Saturday , im going to my music shop cos it has a huge sale.
Ernie Ball strings , $30 AUSTRALIAN dollars for 3 packs.
What gauge strings do you recommend for playing metal?
Fav bands = Slipknot , Metallica , etc
My guitar is a Squier Fat Strat ( Trying to pick up a B.C Rich Warlock on Satday : D )

EDIT
Im using fender super 250s .009 - .042 (Ball ends) atm , I think there not as good as the Bullet ends cos my bridge is being pulled up by the strings ..
Last edited by Quaned at Oct 9, 2008,
What tunning do u use?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
They will be fine for standard tuning, you will be able to bend, just not ridiculous amounts.

If you play in anything lower than dropB you might want 12's
Usually standard . But i'm starting to play using different tunings , i find that when im using UBER low tunings my strings are SUPER loose.
Will i have the problem with my bridge being pulled up by the strings ? Or is that problem not to do with strings?
You should be fine with the power slinkys then, they will go to standard tuning, but you might need to give your guitar a setup afterwards due to the change in tension.

You can go uber low with gauge 11's and they wont be anywhere near as loose.

EDIT: You can sort out the bridge problem by tightening the springs in the back cavity of your guitar
The springs that are inside the cover thingo on the back of the guitar ?
Quote by Quaned
The springs that are inside the cover thingo on the back of the guitar ?

Yep, they are the ones, it should pull the bridge back towards the body.
Then i would have to un-string my guitar right?

NOOB QUESTION ALERT:
And how do you actually tighten it ?
Would this happen to be the massive annual Billy Hyde sale or is that even later on this year?
If it is I havnt heard any news of it so far!

Anywho.
If youre gonna be playing stuff as low as Slipknot on a tremolo bridge then youre gonna need to get your guitar setup for a lower tuning/thicker strings, we're talking 10-54s or so.
Whats more, considering your bridge is getting pulled up already you wont be able to change the tuning much because of the increased/decreased string tension on the bridge.

Good luck getting that BC Rich.
Try and get your hands on an ESP though
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Nope mate. Its the yearly Mega Music Sale in Perth . DOORBUSTER. My friend has been to the sale . People that havent been to Mega Music would say these deals for Doorbuster are BULL***T. I mean. Theres a B.C. Rich Warlock for $34 bux. I don't think anyone would believe it without going to the sale..
Quote by Quaned
Nope mate. Its the yearly Mega Music Sale in Perth . DOORBUSTER. My friend has been to the sale . People that havent been to Mega Music would say these deals for Doorbuster are BULL***T. I mean. Theres a B.C. Rich Warlock for $34 bux. I don't think anyone would believe it without going to the sale..

$34. That seems about right for a BC Rich.
Try and get your paws on a pack of D'Addario XL Light Top/Heavy Bottom strings.

In standard the treble strings are loose enough to bend well and in lower tunings the bass strings will still have some tension and not buzz all over the place.
I use 9 tops and 10 bottoms.

Doorbuster sales are epic from what I've heard. Get some bargains.
I'm kind of confused why people ask if they can still bend with 9's. I play 12's and 13's and I can bend as high as I want(at least 5 steps on each string). Don't mean to be a dick but playing 9's, 10's or even 11's feels like playing rubber bands to me
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
$34. That seems about right for a BC Rich.

That made me rofl.

I read about the Doorbuster sale, and yes, I thought it was BS. There's a Pacifica 112 for $1.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by jAzZMataZz
I'm kind of confused why people ask if they can still bend with 9's. I play 12's and 13's and I can bend as high as I want (at least 5 steps on each string). Don't mean to be a dick but playing 9's, 10's or even 11's feels like playing rubber bands to me

honestlyi highly doubt you can make a bend go a fifth above what it already was.

are you sure you dont mean five frets because that i can see happening lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
honestlyi highly doubt you can make a bend go a fifth above what it already was.

are you sure you dont mean five frets because that i can see happening lol

I'm sorry english is not my first language but I mean like when I'm for example bending the b string on the 15th fret from d to g.
Yeah doorbuster . Cant f**k**g wait! I reckon i might not get that B.C. Rich though , i saw some photos on Mega Music's myspace and O boy , THERES like HEAPS AND HEAPS OF PEOPLE . Lol its like 14hrs and 18 minutes till DoorBUSTER!
Quote by Arbitror
Try and get your paws on a pack of D'Addario XL Light Top/Heavy Bottom strings.

In standard the treble strings are loose enough to bend well and in lower tunings the bass strings will still have some tension and not buzz all over the place.

I agree, use these on my showmaster and there superb, the D'Addario range seems to last much longer without tarnishing than the EB's which in my opinion makes them worth the extra cost hands down.
Gibson SG VooDoo/Fender Satin Strat/Squire showmaster heavily customized
Fender Deluxe112 amp/Line6 POD2/Crybaby classic

10 years and counting
Hm . Ill check em out . Don't know if my local store sells D'Addario