can you go to youtube or something and listin to the ,devel wears prada , and the song is "hey john what's your name again. and on 3:11/ 3:14 how do they do that? ok on tabs they say 3 fret. your low e string. or since in a in drop d you low D string. and it has a *vb on the tab. and i dont get it. so what does it mean?
It means you fret and pick the note, then wiggle your finger up and down, so you get a 'vibrato'. The pitch of the note you play is altered because it's connecting point is the fretwire, and the string beyond the fretwire is being pulled tighter. It's really simple physics, actually.

Kris Dahl does a nice lesson on it, here on the site.
Quote by Y00p
It means you fret and pick the note, then wiggle your finger up and down, so you get a 'vibrato'. The pitch of the note you play is altered because it's connecting point is the fretwire, and the string beyond the fretwire is being pulled tighter. It's really simple physics, actually.

Kris Dahl does a nice lesson on it, here on the site.

i sorta new that. but on the songs when they do it it a higher piched noise. and i get lower piched noise. so i did not know how they do it.
You would get a higher pitched noise by vibratoing. It would wobble between normal, higher, normal again, and so on.

They may have bent the note before vibratoing. Some people do that.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2OONnAVIQ3I

That's vibrato.

But on a more serious note, Y00p is 100% correct.

omg... it's artificial whammy bar effect!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Redsox4ever5955
i sorta new that. but on the songs when they do it it a higher piched noise. and i get lower piched noise. so i did not know how they do it.

Ah, that's pinched harmonics then. Easy to mistake the two for each other when you're new, but Kris happens to have a video about that as well.

It's when you play a vibrato, but 'clip' the string with your thumb after you pick, so you cancel the entire strings' vibration, allowing only the smaller nodes to vibrate, causing a higher pitch. Sounds tricky, and it is. But you'll get it, with enough practice.

But, make sure you watch that video. If you don't, you won't have a clue of what you're doing.
yeah its most likley a pinch harmonic

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker