For those that play in an acoustic band, when playing in bars do you use a amp, or go directly into a PA? Or do you mic the amp?
depends on the size of the pub really
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (black beauty)
Yamaha ERG-121C
Oakman acoustic
What if its a guitar player, singer and hand percussion? The singer would need a PA right?
Guitar player, is going to want an amp to modulate his sound no? If not, you could just go straight into Pa I think.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
The singer would probably need the PA. In which case, you might as well just run the guitar through the PA as well. Or... an amp. it really doesn't matter that much.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by jiffy999
For those that play in an acoustic band, when playing in bars do you use a amp, or go directly into a PA? Or do you mic the amp?

No reason to ever mic an acoustic amp, you would plug into a DI, sending the XLR side to the PA then the 1/4" side to your amp, or DI straight out of your amp before you actually mic'ed it.

Most guys who are putting on a loud show use the PA. Most guys singing low volume intimate settings just use combo amps. If it's of any volume at all I'd plan on the PA. I plan to have both really, I'm in a loud band and need stage noise but I plan to go through the PA too, it sounds much better.
Last edited by corndogggy at Oct 9, 2008,
This is slightly off topic re: the original poster's question, but if the room is not overly large and the performer is playing acoustic guitar and singing, would running the vocals through the acoustic amp be appropriate?
Either is fine, but vocals through an acoustic amp wont sound as good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.