I'm playing right now on one of those starter amps, which aren't the greatest. I'm wondering whether or not buying a new amp will make a difference. I want to be able to play on stage without sounding like total crap. I'm thinking about putting my Xbox360 with games etc. up for barter for a decent amp, and am wondering whether or not a new amp will really make a huge improvement. Thanks.
Yes, it will, so long as you get a good amp, amps make the biggest difference in your tone.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
The better the amp the better the sound. However it will make it sound better a new amp can only take you so far before you realize you need a new guitar as well. A new amp is never a bad idea NEVER!!
the starter amps really do sound like poo, yes poo, a new amp would enhance ur guitar to a very good quality in my op, obviously not the worlds greatest but it really is just the amp that sounds like poo in the starter packs
Yes.give me an amazing amp over a great guitar anyday.
eg: imagine you have a $3000 guitar plugged into a crappy 10w squire amp.it'l sound terrible
However a cheap guitar going through a great amp will usually sound awesome
Mine do. They sound great if you get a nice set of pups down the road. But a stock squier will sound darn good through a decent amp. I would take a Squier through a Blues Jr over a MIM strat through a FM 15 wattr everyday. Costs being about equal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Mine do. They sound great if you get a nice set of pups down the road. But a stock squier will sound darn good through a decent amp. I would take a Squier through a Blues Jr over a MIM strat through a FM 15 wattr everyday. Costs being about equal.

+1
My first set up was a squire strat through a peavey rage 50 or something like that, sounded terrible. Later for Xmas my parents bought a fender ultra chorus, still not the best amp in the world but it was like night and day compared to the peavey and I blasted my squire through it happily for years to come.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/

This guy has phenomenal tone, even if he uses Squiers frequently, because he has good amps, pedals, and touch.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
A better amp always helps your sound. Like everyone has said the amp is more important to your tone. A great guitar through a crappy amp won't sound good. Squier guitars aren't bad and should sound pretty good through a good amp.

Yeah, the amp is everything. I agree, Squiers are very decent guitars for the price. One of my friends plays a $129 Squier, & it sounds killer through my amps. He won't even play through his old Yamaha amp anymore, not even to practice!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Pageles
The better the amp the better the sound. However it will make it sound better a new amp can only take you so far before you realize you need a new guitar as well. A new amp is never a bad idea NEVER!!

agreed. a new amp will make a MAJOR difference, especially if you're going from starter amp to quality tube amp; however, there's only so much it can do, if the guitar has crap pickups and electronics, or really bad hardware/wood which robs tone etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
A better amp always helps your sound. Like everyone has said the amp is more important to your tone. A great guitar through a crappy amp won't sound good. Squier guitars aren't bad and should sound pretty good through a good amp.

End thread. No more need to explain that amps determine sound much more than a guitar.
My old guitarist had a cheap starterStrat, that through our Laney TT50 sounded fantastic, so of course!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009