Hi, I read in FreePower's lesson things about muting unwanted noise, i have the whole thumb= Goal keeper like thing down, but i think I am using my thumb now to sort of gauge the height of my pick on.

In other words it sort of brushes along the strings and not only mutes unwanted noise but it also guides how much pick i put between the strings. The problem is, because now I have made a habit of it when doing (trying to do) fast runs starting on the low E string, there are no lower strings for the thumb to brush against and I end up being unable to quickly pick around the string because i have no 'guide'.

any ideas? Or should i just try to kick the habit? get a 7 string?

thanks
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I haven't read FreePower's advice about using the Thumb as a goal keeper but I think I can imagine what you are trying to say.

Basically you are using the thumb as an anchor on top of the strings and also a placeholder for your pic tip position.

Instead of using the thumb to muffle the strings for noise cancellation, try arching your hands more and use the base of your palm as a muter.

There are also ways to use the fretting hand as an unwanted noise buffer but this takes more skill. It has to do with pressure and release.
Not so much an anchor, because it moves normally with with pick, but if you can imagine like a jigsaw, the thumb acts sort of like the guide that i have at string height while the pick goes into the strings, letting me move over the strings more evenly without letting the pick dig in too much.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Not so much an anchor, because it moves normally with with pick, but if you can imagine like a jigsaw, the thumb acts sort of like the guide that i have at string height while the pick goes into the strings, letting me move over the strings more evenly without letting the pick dig in too much.

ok cool.

All i can say is that every playing situation demands different way of plectrum use.

For playing rhythm, you need more pic area for chords and stuff. So your thumb will be higher to expose more.

For doing artificial harmonics, your thumb is almost to the tip of the pic so you can graze the strings after plucking it.

So using the thumb as a height gauge becomes useless if you have to incorporate alot of dynamics in your playing.

I use JAZZ III pics and they are very small and hard. My thumb almost covers the whole pic.

If you can get used to just using the pic effectively at any thumb position, it will beneffit you. This will take practice with experimenting in holding the pic at different positions.

did that make sense?
Quote by Deep*Kick

Just sounds to me like you need to kick this habit, practice very slowly and perfectly accurately with your hand floating completely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yea i had that same problem as well a few weeks ago. its fixed now. i just practiced slowly and really made sure i was aware of everything my body (not just hands) were doing whilst doing so. make sure you're not anchoring, that's the big one, but it sounds like you have that covered, so just practice it, like FP said.

it only took me about a week to fix that habit.