It took a few years for me to finally decide to just do it and I couldn't be happier. I'm loving the sharp bite of my palm mutes now .

It was one year ago I did my first pickup swap and that was on my Ibanez S520EX. I switched its horrible stock pickups out for a Dimarzio Tone Zone and D Sonic.

Now to switch out my tubes in my amp..

I'll have to provide pictures either later or tomorrow.
I've just bought an Epiphone Explorer and I think I wanna throw in a pair of actives (either EMG's or Blackouts)

where did you find space for the batteri?

oh yeah, and gratz on the whole "mod" deal :P I bet it sounds KILLER!!!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
You should consider the 18v mod. I put EMG's in my Epiphone Explorer and did the 18v mod on it a few months later. I wish I'd done the 18v mod when I first installed them. They sound alot better now.

And to answer the question from TheBloodstained there is enough room for 2 batteries in the control cavity. That's where I put them in my Explorer. Here's a pic.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
And to answer the question from TheBloodstained there is enough room for 2 batteries in the control cavity. That's where I put them in my Explorer.

Cool

....I guess that means that I'm going to be playing a 18v EMG equipped explorer sometime in the near future

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
I was thinking about doing that for my Hellraiser to improve how well it cleans up, and give it a little bid more headroom on the clean channel. Would the 18 volt mod do that? Also, how hard is it to actually do since I never soldered before?

And nice job with the Explorer! Please tell me it's a white explorer; white explorers + black pickups = amazing.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I was thinking about doing that for my Hellraiser to improve how well it cleans up, and give it a little bid more headroom on the clean channel. Would the 18 volt mod do that? Also, how hard is it to actually do since I never soldered before?

And nice job with the Explorer! Please tell me it's a white explorer; white explorers + black pickups = amazing.

It does give a little more headroom and my 85 sounds better on the clean channel. It's pretty easy to do check out the link in my other post.

If you're referring to my Explorer I wish it was white but it's black with a white pickguard. I agree white Explorers with black hardware and pickups look killer.
sorry to hijack, but saves a new thread... will doing the 18v mod mean that the batteries will last twice as long, or will i need to replace both after the same period of time that i would for a single battery?
Quote by vitchb
sorry to hijack, but saves a new thread... will doing the 18v mod mean that the batteries will last twice as long, or will i need to replace both after the same period of time that i would for a single battery?

18v is wired in series so it drains both at the same rate as one. Wired in parallel they put out 9v but last twice as long.
haa

My Gear: Freshman(AWSUM)
acoustic FIN!

wats with everyone telling guyshers aboot their gear

"An Augmented Fourth, Or Diminished Fifth, Depending On Your Outlook On Life"

Just to let you guys know I did do the EMG 18v mod on my Explorer and its great. I've been getting some crazy metal tone out of my setup now.

Thank you guys for showing me this mod.