Okay, so I read the.new.guy's thread about having bad max speed, and a discussion regarding anchoring was brought up. I became aware that i anchored with my little finger, and now I'm trying to fix it.

I watched some Paul Gilbert and Buckethead videos, and I tried picking like them, but I only found this created more tension.

Is this only because I am new to unanchoring?
If not, is it just me doing it wrong?
Or am I just mistaking tension with "awkwardness"? (is that even a word?)

Thanks in advance!
Its just you not being used to playing with your picking hand hovering over the strings.

The thing is, when you alternate pick to a faster degree, you naturally use your whole arm to pick faster... not only your wrist. So your whole arm starting from the elbow goes up and down.. which you cant do if you got it anchored to the guitar.

You can get used to it by starting slow with a metronome.
Quote by jsantos
Its just you not being used to playing with your picking hand hovering over the strings.

The thing is, when you alternate pick to a faster degree, you naturally use your whole arm to pick faster... not only your wrist. So your whole arm starting from the elbow goes up and down.. which you cant do if you got it anchored to the guitar.

You can get used to it by starting slow with a metronome.

ok, yes start very slowly with a metronome but no, when picking at higher speeds it should be coming entirely from the wrist. don't get me wrong you're using muscles in your arm but unless you're sweeping or moving over strings you shouldn't be playing from the elbow.
Quote by wokketywok
Okay, so I read the.new.guy's thread about having bad max speed, and a discussion regarding anchoring was brought up. I became aware that i anchored with my little finger, and now I'm trying to fix it.

I watched some Paul Gilbert and Buckethead videos, and I tried picking like them, but I only found this created more tension.

Is this only because I am new to unanchoring?
If not, is it just me doing it wrong?
Or am I just mistaking tension with "awkwardness"? (is that even a word?)

Thanks in advance!

It is because you're new to it but I'm going to assume that you've just removed the anchor and haven't really slowed down at all; you need to slow back down and start from the beginning again, you are after all reconstructing your picking completely so slow down.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by z4twenny
ok, yes start very slowly with a metronome but no, when picking at higher speeds it should be coming entirely from the wrist. don't get me wrong you're using muscles in your arm but unless you're sweeping or moving over strings you shouldn't be playing from the elbow.

I tried that, but as I go over 160 bpms on 16th notes, my whole arm tenses up and start pivoting from my elbow. It feels natural that way and I can go on for longer at that speed. Even when i'm playing rhythm riffs at high speed I use my whole arm. I know a lot of players do the same. Do you think this is a bad thing?
^ i know without a doubt thats a bad thing..... unless of course you're looking forward to elbow and/or arm surgery. then its a good thing.
Quote by jsantos
I tried that, but as I go over 160 bpms on 16th notes, my whole arm tenses up and start pivoting from my elbow. It feels natural that way and I can go on for longer at that speed. Even when i'm playing rhythm riffs at high speed I use my whole arm. I know a lot of players do the same. Do you think this is a bad thing?

It is, without doubt, a bad thing. You probably just need more focussed practice, working on economy of motion and removing tension. For example I've only just pickup a guitar for the first time to day so I'm anything but warmed up and 16ths at 170+ bpm using only wrist motion is no real challenge.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for all the responses.

Okay, so I need to start over again slowly with a metronome, and I need to use the wrist. I think I already do that but there's no harm in practicing it I guess.

Where is the ideal place to rest your hand? The bridge?
Quote by wokketywok
Thanks for all the responses.

Okay, so I need to start over again slowly with a metronome, and I need to use the wrist. I think I already do that but there's no harm in practicing it I guess.

Where is the ideal place to rest your hand? The bridge?

As long as you're not using the bridge as an anchor that's fine, just make sure you're not reliant on where you put your hand; you should have absolute freedom of movement.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.