Ok so I'm after a new cab for the Bugera 6260 head I'll be buying. For band practice I will have a 4x12 so that's no problem, but I will be playing a lot in my bedroom also.

I don't have a large room,so I can't crank my amp in the least, but that's not what this is about. I need a cab for bedroom playing. I have 2 options.

A) Get a German-made excellent construction vertical 2x12 with 2 Vintage 30's I have laying around. They come in 2 versions, slant and straight. The slant one is 50 euros more, would that be worth it? pic:

B) Get a crappy construction 4x12 Harley Benton cab with 4 Vintage's 30s, for nearly the same price as the empty 2x12 cab. Yes, I have enough space to put a 4x12.

YESSS, I know I don't need a halfstack, or even a 2x12 for bedroom playing.

Also, if you suggest the horizontal 2x12.. Is a horizontal 2x12 tonally different from a vertical one?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Last edited by fearo at Oct 9, 2008,
Well, it doesnt have to be vertical......

Just turn it on its side and whack the head on there - it might even look good.
I remember reading somewhere that a 4x12 is only -3db louder than a 2x12, the difference is that in a 2x12 the speakers are pushed a bit harder

Personally if you have 2 speakers lying about I'd build a cab... It's not that difficult and if it's just for bedroom use it doesn't have to look perfect
Quote by Lcollins1
I remember reading somewhere that a 4x12 is only -3db louder than a 2x12, the difference is that in a 2x12 the speakers are pushed a bit harder

412s generally have a flabbier bass response whereas the 212 is a bit tighter

depends on what you want

and the volume is fairly dependent on the speaker efficiency
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
It would mainly be for metal playing, so a tight bass is definitely necessary.

And does anyone know if a vertical 212 is tonally different from a horizontal one?
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Get yourself an empty 2x12 and put in your V30's maybe? You'll save a lot of money.
^ read my first post again. The 2x12 I'm considering is an empty cab. The thing is that I can get a 412 WITH speakers for about 70 euros more. Only thing is that the 412's build quality and wood is retardedly bad.
gear:
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Hmm... i didn't even know they made vertical 2x12s...

Anyways, if it were me, i'd just get an empty 2x12 (horizontal, then tip it up on it's side), then just put the V30s in it...

That vertical 2x12 just looks kind of odd to me.
O O

___
Quote by Lcollins1

Personally if you have 2 speakers lying about I'd build a cab... It's not that difficult and if it's just for bedroom use it doesn't have to look perfect

Decibels are measured exponentially, a 3db increase in the cabinet will make it twice as loud. Which makes sense because you have twice as many speakers.
Sorry a bit off topic but...

How do you know the wood of the Halrely Benton is that bad? I'm looking for a cheap 2x12 cab and can't find much info on them, other than that they're cheap and have good speakers.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Beefmo
Decibels are measured exponentially, a 3db increase in the cabinet will make it twice as loud. Which makes sense because you have twice as many speakers.

It's not gonna make it twice as loud...
O O

___
Your perception of it will not be as twice as loud, because the human ear is also logarithmic, but there is twice as much energy being pumped into the room, so a 3dB increase is twice as loud. In terms of human hearing a 10dB increase is usually twice as loud to, and this is the important bit, our ears.
okay, i get what you're saying...

You got a little too technical for me thar!
O O

___
Quote by Beefmo
Your perception of it will not be as twice as loud, because the human ear is also logarithmic, but there is twice as much energy being pumped into the room, so a 3dB increase is twice as loud. In terms of human hearing a 10dB increase is usually twice as loud to, and this is the important bit, our ears.

I love you.

Finally someone who understands lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I'm sorry, I'm training to be an audio engineer, my dad does noise pollution and I'm just a bit of a geek

Quote by Pete Griffin
Sorry a bit off topic but...

How do you know the wood of the Halrely Benton is that bad? I'm looking for a cheap 2x12 cab and can't find much info on them, other than that they're cheap and have good speakers.

Its made of plywood - which isnt exactly durable.