What's an easy song I can learn to help me get to grips with alternate picking? When I say easy, I mean...not Smells-like-teen-spirit-easy, but not super challenging, if you get it....

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
thats a tough one to answer. Dick dale comes to mind... miserilou

why not just practice alternate picking on a string with a metronome?
The lead melody parts of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica are pretty easy and good for practice, along with the 'spider' riff from Master of Puppets; usually it's played with all downstrokes but it makes for a good exercise if you alternate pick it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jsantos
thats a tough one to answer. Dick dale comes to mind... miserilou

why not just practice alternate picking on a string with a metronome?

I am, but it's becoming a bit of a chore, so I want to just learn some songs to help me instead
Johnny B. Goode intro might be of use then.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The main riff out of Thunderstuck by AC/DC is a good alternate picking exercise.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
The main riff out of Thunderstuck by AC/DC is a good alternate picking exercise.

Thats hammer on's and pull-offs though.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
the way i got alternate picking down was playing orion over and over. theres the odd riff, just alternate picking the low e, and alternate picking the melody section seems like a pretty good exercise to me. but perhaps it isnt, and maybe thats why i suck at guitar :\
Thanks guys, I'll try those
Quote by Chrisiphone
Thats hammer on's and pull-offs though.

Nah it is alternate picked, it is only hammer oned in the video.
I got alternate picking down just doing chromatics up and down strings. Start at the first fret low E play frets 1-2-3-4 on it then A then D all the way up to the high E 4th fret. Then move to high E 5th fret then play 5-4-3-2 down to low E 2nd. Then 3-4-5-6 up to high E and so on, then go back down. Just do that alternate picking the whole way. It's a good exercise for both hands. One of my friends used to do it for hours on an unplugged electric. It was amusing but he's the best guitar player I know personally just from doing random exercises like that.
Try the intro to "Genghis Khan" by Iron Maiden. It's also incredibly addictive- for the past 6 months or so, it's the first thing I start playing when I pick up my guitar.
Quote by dillonrips7
wait, I don't understand... How long are you guys playing guitar before you learn to alt. pick?

It doesn't come naturally, most beginners start out eco. picking badly, or not picking consistently. One has to focus on the technique to have it automatic.

I believe most melodies can be alt. picked though, I don't think there's a lick that HAS to use eco. to play it.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by SilverDark
I don't think there's a lick that HAS to use eco. to play it.

You need to watch more Frank Gambale videos
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Jump In the fire - Metallica : Im not sure how they play it. I usualy downpick it but i warm up on it alt picking to warm up my hands its a good excercise for all fingers.

Bark at the moon - Ozzy : This would be difficult to play at full speed but who cares if you practice it slow its still good or actually better. Dont be scared to play a hard song really slow and build up speed thats how you get better. Just break out GP or a metronome and start alt picking. This one helped me alot.

I dont Know - Ozzy a little easier than bark at the moon but still good alt picking riff.
i would learn the verse riff of crazy train its not hard and its not to impossibly fast. that is how i got my alt picking technique down then i just praticed bark at the moon and just did chromatics and other exercises either way will work u just need to put in the time and effort