Just finished his 10 hour workout. I feel a difference, but I'm also trashed.

Went to bed at 7 PM. Woke up at 2:30. Went through the whole 10 hours strait until about 1 in the afternoon.

It got pretty painfull around hour 6 but i wanted to say that i did Steve's 10 hour workout. One thing i realized is he stresses the non-musical chromatic stuff alot, just to build up dexterity and stamina. No wonder he's a beast.

My hands are pretty dead, i hope i didn't strain them. Any tips for recovering strained hands?
the only thing you can do is not play the guitar.
if you continue to play, you could screw up your tendons.
i just hurt my wrist yesterday, and it still hurts, so i have to take a break too.
it sucks.
EDIT: i agree with born, and, dont you think typing wouldnt be the best thing for it? lol
Last edited by stratdud39 at Oct 9, 2008,
Yes. Not doing the 10h workout IN TEN HOURS STRAIGHT. ITS NOT MEANT AS SUCH

Satriani used to practice for six hours a day and as of yet he has to be beaten at that. The 10h workout is to be spread over several days, or in fact, months, to improve your skill. Your hands are probably pretty ****ed up right now depending on how long you've been playing and how good you are (hell, even depending on the action on your guitar) and next time you should really take it in steps.

If tomorrow your hands still hurt, don't play for the entire day. Seriously

And mad props on actually doing the 10h workout in one run
So you think you're ready for Vai's 30h workout? ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Playing for 10 hours a day isn't doing any good for your hands. Imagine a pro football player practising that long; it'll tire them out and give them aches for the next week or two.

So, like bornfidelity said, spread it out. And if your hands start acheing, don't play, or you'll increase your chance of permanently (or for a long time) damaging your hands. Which isn't good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by bornfidelity
Yes. Not doing the 10h workout IN TEN HOURS STRAIGHT. ITS NOT MEANT AS SUCH

Satriani used to practice for six hours a day and as of yet he has to be beaten at that. The 10h workout is to be spread over several days, or in fact, months, to improve your skill. Your hands are probably pretty ****ed up right now depending on how long you've been playing and how good you are (hell, even depending on the action on your guitar) and next time you should really take it in steps.

If tomorrow your hands still hurt, don't play for the entire day. Seriously

And mad props on actually doing the 10h workout in one run
So you think you're ready for Vai's 30h workout? ^^

I will attempt his 30 when i find the tabs. I Know that THAT one is supposed to be spread out into 3 days, but i didn't know that the 10 hour was supposed to be split up. My bad ignorance i guess. But yes, my hand are DEAD, like it hurts to even grip something or pick anything up. God I'm an idiot. I was playing it on my strat BTW, which is not suited for comfort.
Dude, you're a better man than I. I haven't the attention span to do anything at all for 10hrs straight, not even my job, which requires that I be there for 12 at a time. Way to go!
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Hands strained?

Bummer (n).

Good job though, i could never do 10 hours.. it'd kill me :P

No Fap Fap for you
i did the ten hour workout but i didnt do it straight. i split it up into the 3 hour sections.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about can someone please explain ? thks
Steve Vai's 10 hour workout is what it is! but its not meant to be done 10 hours in a row im sure! that could do damage! but fair play for doing it though! you may hold a record for longest practice session ever!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
is there anyone here who has a link to it? I'm pretty curious now:P
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
did your fingers fall off yet?

Just run your hand under hot water for a while and massage it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by bornfidelity

Satriani used to practice for six hours a day and as of yet he has to be beaten at that.

who said he hasnt been beaten at that (not that it makes much of a diff, but...)??? fransesco fareri used to do 9 to 10 hrs a day.... broderick used to do 15... (well not all on guitar, but yeah...)
yeah i knew there would be others... just didnt bother to look for stuff like that. i dont have the time to play that long anyways so no diff for me...
If they get sore try 5 min gentle ice, 10 min break, 5 min gentle heat, repeat.

Dont do anything extreme, just GENTLE ICE AND HEAT like through a towel a little bit at a time.

And maybe a Tylenol, This is what I would do after any excercise where I have strained muscles.

P.s. I am not a doctor and offer only a suggestion, NOT medical advice, If you encounter serious pain or discomfort, see a doctor.
Last edited by standupnfall at Oct 11, 2008,