This is a long shot, but can any intelligent UG'ers come up with a solution to this?

Jack loves good food and has £100 to spend. Due to an unusual ailment he has a probability of ¼ of losing his sense of smell, which would greatly reduce his enjoyment of food. Jack has found an insurance company that will sell him insurance where he gets £3x if he loses his sense of smell and he pays £x if he does not. Note that x need not be positive. If his expected utility function is U(cs,cns) = .75 (cs)0.5 + .25(cns)0.5/2, where cs is his consumption if he retains his sense of smell and cns is his consumption if he does not, how much insurance should he buy? Interpret your answer.

And in case people jump down my throat, I've been working on it for over an hour, have consulted all my notes, textbook, trawled the internet and consulted with my flatmate. So I've tried
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
it looked like maths but then it changed... sorry buddy.

edit: i guess it still is maths, but i have no idea what the letters in the function mean.
This seems to me like a system of differential equations. Too lazy to do it plus the last calculus class I took was 2 years ago.

Probably have to use Laplace.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Oct 9, 2008,
Well, thanks everyone for giving it a bash...kind of.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.