Hello!

So lately I've been picking up this old Squier stratocaster that used to belong to my brother. It's been made in Korea, with serial number: S 1007810, and I believe he bought it in 1990.

I've searched the web a bit because I'm much more familiar with acoustic brands than I am with electric and found out that Squiers stratocasters are the cheaper replica's of Fender stratocaster models.

But since there is a lot of commotion on the forum about Squiers guitars I still wanted to get something clear because the guitar doesn't sound that bad at all:

I believe Fender used to make these Squier's in the old days with good Fender material? So that doesn't make this guitar a total piece of crap?

And has the Korean thing anything to do with the quality?

I'm considering to put some new pups in it because the body and neck are not to bad I guess. Any recommendations? (I'm looking for a funky/blues sound)

Hope some people know anything about these Squiers.

Thanks in regard.
You mean Korean made is the same as China made? Or that Korean made is better than China made?
But do you know anything about the pup's of those korean made type's (from the 90's)?

Maybe you know a good site or link I can look at?

Thanks.
I have a Korean strat (S.... serial number I think denotes it is Samick factory made?) that I am reluctant to ever sell. The neck is excellent and in my opinion as good as necks on USA strats - straight, and after 20 years is unlikely to twist, and a joy to play on after my regular Ibanez guitars I usually play. Wouldn't dream of selling it. Original pickups had been ripped out by previous owner(s), so I now have 2 Seymour Duncan and 1 irongear hammer head pup in it. It rocks. Any tone I want can be achieved. These older Koreans are far superior to the latter day chinese 'beginners' guitars/.
The MIK Squiers and Fenders are pretty solid. The MIK Squiers, specifically the ProTone series are some of the nicest made Strats, Teles, and Basses. There's a whole community of ProTone fans who pay a premium for this series.

Then there are the MIK Squiers made of plywood ... I believe it's the Squier II series ...

Ok, thanks for all the response!

But I'm still not sure if it's any worth modifing this Squier.
I've uploaded a picture of the headstock and body. Any suggestions?
Attachments:
DSC00560.JPG
DSC00562.JPG
do you know what type of wood the body is? if its not plywood or some crap like that id say go ahead. i mean, you could have yourself a pretty solid guitar after you replace the pickups and tuners. how does the neck feel on it? cause i have a squire im modding now and the neck on it is horrible, but everything else about it is solid, or as solid as a squire is gonna be lol
I can't believe it, an entire thread without some fool bashing Squiers!

And I'd only mod it once you see the things that are wrong; there's no point modding if it sounds good and holds tuning well and things like that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by ADTR1390
do you know what type of wood the body is? if its not plywood or some crap like that id say go ahead. i mean, you could have yourself a pretty solid guitar after you replace the pickups and tuners. how does the neck feel on it? cause i have a squire im modding now and the neck on it is horrible, but everything else about it is solid, or as solid as a squire is gonna be lol

Well, I really don't know which type of wood the body is made of. I don't really know what to look for to find it out. But I think it's kind a like basswood, so I guess pretty solid.

But indeed, Lil Macker, everyone is bashing the Squiers these day's but I don't see them as bad guitars. And it's a pity that their is not much information known about early made Squiers.

But everyone, thanks for the decent information instead of telling me I should throw this Squier away. We'll see, maybe in about 20 years from now some of them will be colectors items.
I hate to be the downer, but I want to say it's plywood if it was Korean at the time. And nope, they won't be collectors items in 20 years. Not like the Jap Squiers... still enjoy it, as it does look pretty cool
regardless of the name, just play it and play it. etc

does it buzz?

is the neck straight? does the neck need work? $$

Is the neck too small on a squire for you? Maybe you need a real strat??

does it hold tuning?

or just take it to a shop and have a pro tune it or give you the advise of whether its great or just ok.

Dont put money in junk.
If its an awesome guitar, put some money in it. otherwise just ebayit and buy a better guitar with your money.

new pups?? buy a multi FX pedal instead or try one out in the store with your guitar. wait for a sale too. If you buy a pedal you can use it with any/all guitars. Its a good investment. They last forever.

Good Luck - Have Fun!
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Oct 10, 2008,
Did you seriously just say that Multi-FX are better for your guitar than pickups...

Anyway, before I get into a rant, the MIK's aren't that rare, but it looks like a nice guitar. Plus, it's not a waste of money to put money into junk as long as it's not junk when you're done. Nice guitar anyway.
Quote by Thomaso
Well, I really don't know which type of wood the body is made of. I don't really know what to look for to find it out. But I think it's kind a like basswood, so I guess pretty solid.

But indeed, Lil Macker, everyone is bashing the Squiers these day's but I don't see them as bad guitars. And it's a pity that their is not much information known about early made Squiers.

But everyone, thanks for the decent information instead of telling me I should throw this Squier away. We'll see, maybe in about 20 years from now some of them will be colectors items.

yea, if its made from basswood then id say go for it. it has a nice sound to it for being such a cheap wood. just be careful with it whenever your working on it because it dents and chips easily
Quote by CJRocker
I hate to be the downer, but I want to say it's plywood if it was Korean at the time. And nope, they won't be collectors items in 20 years. Not like the Jap Squiers... still enjoy it, as it does look pretty cool
The MIK Squier Protone series, made in the Cort factory from '96 to '98 are collectibles now. The Teles and Strats were made of Ash (not sure about Alder - probably the non-transparent ones) and the Strat tremolo blocks were as beefy as the MIJ and MIA Strats. The MIM Standard trem blocks started getting beefier beginning 2007 only (not including the MIM RIs and DeLuxe models here).

The Protone Strats, Teles, and Basses usually sell from $300 to past $500 USD, depending on condition. eBay shows the same figures if you check their ended auctions or BINs.

The MIK Squier II series are the ones made of plywood, I think. With proper set-up though, they can slay through nice tube amps.

Thomaso, check out the TDPRI forum for more info regarding the Protone Teles.

Well, thanks everyone for the info.

The guitar is pretty decent I guess, and since I got it for free why not spend a little money on it to make sound even better. Maybe only new pups because it holds tuning fine and the neck is fairly good too. Multi-FX just isn't really my thing anyway.

The only thing is that indeed, BR0THERALEX, the low E string tends to buzz a lot when it's hit open. I checked the intonation and action since there is nothing wrong with the neck itself. But it didn't really help, and well... it's not a real Fender so I think I should'nt be so worried about that.

By the way, what does MIK actually stands for? Checked the internet but I could not find it.
Before I forget to tell!

I did some research on the way about the woodtype that is used for the body....
I guess it's solid basswood and not plywood. I checked the inside and it's seems the inner hollow part has been milled. Also it has a little dent on the front. I guess it would have been torn if it was made of plywood.