personally, all in one recording interfaces are a waist of space.

Id much rarther have like a zoom H4 with cubase or audacity.

I mean its like photoshop, you need to spend time doing tutorials to full grasp the thing, otherwise its just treading in deep water, its whats underneath that you want, not just the rough surface :P
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by bucky844
I'm planning on getting a recording interface soon, is this a good choice?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

is there anything else it'll need to work? im a complete recording noob.

There's better sounding stuff for the price, but it'll work. What are you going to record?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
im planning on just recording guitar and bass right now, eventually vocals. but really dont know anything about the equipment.
Just electric guitar? How many things at once? And will you use your amp (with a microphone or headphone connection) or software for the sounds?

In any case, a Presonus Inspire 1394's a much better idea than the Line6. Better audio quality, and each track is separated.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

i'd be recording both acoustic and electric guitar, but only one instrument at a time. it's going to be just me recording. i just want an affordable way to record at my house, my band already has everything we need to record, but im not able to mess around or use it very often.
A few more questions, do you plan on miking your amp (sticking a microphone right up to it) or are you going to use software to get the electric guitar tones you want? Secondly, are there any plans to use two microphones (soundhole and fretboard) for the acoustic? Finally, what's the budget?

The Presonus still stands as a good suggestion, thanks to its audio quality and affordability ($200). If you are sure you only need one microphone at a time, this ART preamp will ensure that a good undistorted signal will come through thanks to its limiter. Any further effects/adjustments can be done with the computer.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Anthony1991
personally, all in one recording interfaces are a waist of space.

Id much rarther have like a zoom H4 with cubase or audacity.

I mean its like photoshop, you need to spend time doing tutorials to full grasp the thing, otherwise its just treading in deep water, its whats underneath that you want, not just the rough surface :P

How would the H4 work in this situation? I thought these were like field recorders???

The Toneports are good if you need to have the amp sims with your interface. I've been using the NI Session I/O but am still iffy about the Guitar Rig 3 XE amp sims.