My mesa sounds awesome, i got it dialed in pretty well and its great with my attenuator.

Ill have the volume on like 3 and the att. putting it down to bedroom volume, like 3-4 on the att. volume.

I get this awesome tone thats rounded and the treble is really sweet and singing.

But if i turn up the attenuator to bring it to jamming volume the tone is very different,
the mids are noticely scooped more and the treble is not as singing, and the bass gets very loose

Any help?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Attenuators are like that if you want the amp to push it - that's the unfortunate thing about them - you either just push them or put up with that tone.

Attenuators are subjective - people like the Powerbrake, Hotplate, Weber ones etc

The best one (if there is such a thing) are the inbuilt ones in Oranges it seems.....or THDs....
The fun part is that sounds like the OPPOSITE of what happens. The more you attenuate, the more mids and treble you loose and the bass gets looser...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by davedoom
Attenuators are like that if you want the amp to push it - that's the unfortunate thing about them - you either just push them or put up with that tone.

Attenuators are subjective - people like the Powerbrake, Hotplate, Weber ones etc

The best one (if there is such a thing) are the inbuilt ones in Oranges it seems.....or THDs....

No but i am pushing the amp, even if i put the volume higher like on 5 or 6 and turn up the attenuator i dont get the same tone.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
That isn't very odd, you are now pushing the speaker a bit, but still to me it sounds kind of odd, ussually you get a reversed effect...

EDIT: Are you using the treble boost on the Weber? If so turn it off when you turn up!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Oct 9, 2008,
take the attenuator off and see if it's loud enough for jamming volumes? wouldn't it on like 2 - 3 be more than sufficient for jamming with another guitarist or a drummer?
Yeah, it seems like you should approach good tone without need of the Weber at the moment - in that band situation - unless this band is reeeeally quiet?
Yeah well i just figured out the problem i think, i just turned the master volume on the amp up a smidge and it seemed to hit that "breaking point" and everything sounded better.

And yes i can use it in a jamming situation without the weber, although its usually like this:

on 1 its very quiet for practice

you hit 1 1/10 and it a smidge too louder than everyone i play with.

And i would tell them to turn up but the PA system cant or it would fry.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
^That is rather common really. But my tip is to set the amp to that point then jsut use the Weber slightly to turn it down!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Or flip the cab round or a baffle - two very simple things that work so well!
You can't crank it past one when jamming? wow...you jam realy quiet.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
You can't crank it past one when jamming? wow...you jam realy quiet.

You must not have a Mesa Boogie tube combo....
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
dude, i don't know if you know about this, but the DC-5s are notorious for having touchy volume controls. Look at the HC forums for info, or the Boogie Boards on a simple 5 buck mod to make the volume more linear. Mine does get quite loud at 2, but I usually have it a little past one for playing by myself.
Wow!

i just discovered a whole new way to eq it.

I read on some board that the master volume for each channel can drastically shape the tone.

I lowered the master volume on the lead channel from 10 to 3 1/2 and its SO much better.

Same amount of gain, less noisy feedback, still easy to get sustain, and its so clear!!
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
My mesa sounds awesome, i got it dialed in pretty well and its great with my attenuator.

Ill have the volume on like 3 and the att. putting it down to bedroom volume, like 3-4 on the att. volume.

I get this awesome tone thats rounded and the treble is really sweet and singing.

But if i turn up the attenuator to bring it to jamming volume the tone is very different,
the mids are noticely scooped more and the treble is not as singing, and the bass gets very loose

Any help?
It's something that a lot of players encounter.

I EQ my amp at jamming volume levels. I rarely play my tube amp quietly.
This way, my best tone is at a volume level that counts.

Also, if you're playing loud, remove the attenuator. You don't need it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
you didn't realize that about the masters on each channel?? damn! I have the master on my lead at 4 - 5, and the clean around 8 and I don't push it much farther otherwise it looses its sweetnes.